“Nice hotel, poor service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #14 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, I will try to keep it short and sweet. Location is good, hotel is nice. The only gripe with cleanliness of my room is that the carpet was not vacuumed before I checked into the room. There was a lot of large size debris all over the carpet. Otherwise the room was clean, but it makes you wonder how does the vacuuming get missed?

The biggest upset overall is another story. My stay was booked with Hilton Honors points. When I arrived I was asked for my credit card for "incidentals". Never once was I advised that I will need to pay for anything other then that. I checked out and as I was looking my credit card statement a few weeks later I noticed a 232 dollar charge by the hotel. I called immediately to resolve the issue and through talking with the accounting department I was advised that one of my nights were not covered with the Hilton Honors points and that my card was charged for it. I never agreed to this charge so I asked how to resolve the issue. I was directed to the front office manager Diana. I left a message with my reservation number, phone number and problem. Seven days passed and I did not get a call back that would help me resolve my problem. I called again but the phone would only go to the voicemail. I left another message requesting a call back with no result at all.
So apparently, my conclusion is that the management/ staff charges you for services without authorization/ notification. Be careful providing your credit card. And also, once you leave the hotel don't try to call and ask for help with any matters because it will fall on deaf ears. It all shows lack of regard for a respectable customer.

I had to voice this out in the open because this type of mistreatment is not common in this country and this business is not worthy of consumers confidence because of their blatant disregard for requests for assistance.

I had to go through the Hilton Honors program to remedy this problem. The hotel did not contribute the slightest effort to help me out with the unauthorized charge to my card. Not even a simple call back from two voicemails to Diana - Front Office Manager.

This review is written about two weeks after I left the second message.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank WistaWio
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I certainly apologize for the challenges that you encountered regarding your billing after your stay at the hotel. We take great pride in the service we provide our guests and your experience is in no way indicative of how we typically perform. Again I apologize for any inconvenience that we caused you and we if may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Joe Melton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great hotel and location for Alamo, Riverwalk, and proximity to activities in San Antonio. Delivered on what you expect for Emabassy Suites with complimentary hoappy hour and fresh breakfast. Kid friendly. Courteous staff. Would stay here again if given the option.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
2  Thank Derek B

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. We agree our location is great for enjoying all that downtown San Antonio has to offer. Additionally I am glad that you enjoyed those features that really separate us from the rest including our Made to Order Breakfast and our Evening Reception. We look forward to having you as a guest when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hilton family hotels are consistent. No real highs and no real lows. Family stayed for two nights and enjoyed ourselves. Did not really use any of the hotels services or facilities, besides room and pool. Pool was nice but way over crowed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dahotdogking
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. Consistency is the cornerstone of solid brands and I am glad that you have found that with the Hilton Worldwide hotels. I hope that should your travels bring you back to the property you have the opportunity to experience more of what we have to offer like our Chef John Besh restaurant, LUKE.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

What I really liked about this hotel was that it had a separate living room. Your teens can stay up watching movies while you are asleep in the next room. The sofa pulls out to a bed. the restrooms are big so you have plenty of space to put your stuff. The hair dryer provided was really good. Girls they have big mirrors and plugs everywhere. It was 4 of us girls and we had space to get ready.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
2  Thank Rocio U

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. One of the key benefits of the Embassy Suites brand is our two-room suites. For guests travelling with family it allows you the opportunity to rest and relax in one room while your family may enjoy a movie in the other. We are happy that you enjoyed your suite and all of the features that helped to enhance your comfort. We look forward to having you stay with us when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My boyfriend and I spent the weekend here for a UFC fight June 27-29. The hotel was really nice, but crowded with lots of families and children. Although the hotel isn't right in all the action on the Riverwalk, it only took a few minutes of walking to get to all the surrounding restaurants and attractions. What I was most pleased about was how we were upgraded upon arrival. We had booked a Riverwalk view, but were upgraded to a larger suite with two bathrooms. The balcony was nice as well. The managers reception was nice. I recommend getting there sooner rather than later otherwise food is picked over. Breakfast was good. Got great sleep. Overall, a really nice stay for a decent/fair price. The only downfall was the $27/night valet. Yikes!

Room Tip: Get a Riverwalk view for a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth E
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. It sounds like you were able to enjoy all of the things that makes Embassy Suites special: our spacious suites, our evening reception and our outstanding breakfast. Top all of those off with a great nights sleep and who could ask for more. We look forward to having you stay with us during your next visit to San Antonio.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were only here for one night and enjoyed our stay. We are diamond status with Hilton and had a nice visit to the Embassy Suites in San Antonio. Though it is not directly on the Riverwalk, it is in very close proximity, and our room was beautiful and in excellent condition and did have a view of the Riverwalk, though slight. The pool is an outdoor pool, nothing extravagant, but nice, and we enjoyed the hot tub.

Room Tip: The corner suite was very spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sandic1968
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I am glad we were able to provide an enjoyable experience for you during your brief stay last month. We look forward to having you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have visited San Antonio numerous times staying downtown on the river-walk and at the airport. The last time I stayed here in 2011, I stayed at the Valencia hotel which is across the river-walk from the Embassy. I stayed at the Valencia as all my co-workers were staying at the Embassy and it was booked and I had stayed at the Valencia before in 2008. Visiting the hotel lobby to wait for my peers, I realized I wanted to definitely stay here on my next visit to San Antonio and that is what I did. My two teenage kids and I came down on a two night visit as they had not been to San Antonio since they were babies.

Pros
Perfect location on the best part of the river-walk between the crowded and noisy, more touristy older more developed sections and the serene new "Museum Reach" extension that leads to the art museum by way of walking paths through gardens or water taxi. I love taking runs along the Museum Reach extension.
The rooms are huge and nicely appointed, we had a double
The outdoor pool overlooks the river walk
Nice extra touches like home made fruit water (pineapple and strawberry) at the reception, well appointed common areas
The free breakfast includes a full breakfast on the buffet including crowd pleasers like scrambled eggs, potatoes, fruit, pancakes and french toast on both of the days we were there...not all Embassy's still do this.
This the latest generation Embassy and is a newer hotel lacking the central atriums of the older generations which is a plus given it lacks the drawbacks of the noise and navigation issues of the atrium models, this hotel feels less like an Embassy and more like a more luxury upscale hotel

Cons
Parking at the hotel is expensive at $27, I opted to park around the corner at a public garage for $15 a day

Overall the Embassy Suites on the River-walk is a great choice with a central location at the heart of everything San Antonio has to offer.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank FlyTiger

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I am happy that you had the opportunity to stay with us during your visit to San Antonio. The real estate adage of location, location, location really holds true with the hotel as we are at the beginning of the Museum Reach of the Riverwalk which affords our guests the opportunity to enjoy both the serenity of the San Antonio River and the activity of the more developed section. As an Embassy Suites it sounds like you really enjoyed all of the features we offer from the made to order breakfast, to the evening reception, to our well-appointed suites. I am happy that we could be part of a great memory of your visit to San Antonio and we look forward to having you stay with us the next time you are in town.