Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #18 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 14 July 2014

GREAT rooms. The front desk attendant gave us a balcony on which we could see the river and the entire city at night. Really comfortable bed. Spotless bathroom. Homey room. The staff was on point at the front desk and outside at the valet. PERFECT location for walking to the Alamo, Riverwalk, downtown, and local bars.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. I am glad we could be part of what sounds like a great stay in San Antonio. We take pride in the service and product we provide our guests and those things coupled with our location really create positive experiences. Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to having you back as a guest in the future.

Joe Melton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great room, good central location. Bring a rental car if you want to go farther out than downtown. Only major knock against it is the lousy internet service. Otherwise, the room service is good and the first floor restaurant is top notch. Note: get a high floor if you can. Downtown tends to be very noisy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I am very happy that you enjoyed both room service and our signature John Besh restaurant, LUKE. I apologize for the challenges your encountered with our internet service and have shared your feedback with our internet service provider to see if there was an issue with our network during your stay. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to having you as a guest in the future when your travels bring you to San Antonio.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

This Embassy Suites location has done a great job integrating into the Riverwalk. It is a great location that is not too busy. You're not in the heart of the Riverwalk so the surrounding foot traffic is not as heavy. Walk the exterior of the hotel off the Riverwalk to see wonderful views and neat photo opportunities. You can even catch a river taxi right next to the hotel. Great view for the 4th of July fireworks! We arrived about 30 minutes before they were due to start, but we thought we had more time. As we were unloading in our room we heard them start going off. We were in a larger corner suite. As we went from room to room, we could see different fireworks going off in different locations. We were on a high floor, so we were able to see the downtown fireworks with very little obstruction. So, instead of trying to rush through the Riverwalk holiday crowd to find a good spot to watch fireworks, we just pulled up our chairs to the window in the living area.

Speaking of the living area... We decided at the last minute to book the suite. It was a very good decision. We had soo much space that I wished the kids were there to enjoy the space. There is a sofa bed and nice leather ottomans and velvet chairs. Ample seating for entertaining or optional seating. There is also a table with 2 chairs. Wifi and wired access available for Internet access. There is a small wet bar with a mini fridge and mini refrigerator. There is also a little single pod coffee pot.

The suite also features a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds and a bathroom with a tub and strong shower head. Keep in mind there is only one bathroom. The doors are oversized and offer a sweeping entry into the bedroom. It's a nice suite for a family to use for a visit.

The location is close to the beautiful Majestic Theatre and some of the best restaurants in the area. You can park the car and leave it parked the whole time you are there. You can easily walk the surrounding area and there is a good presence of police who remain actively engaged with the business and patrol the area. There is a really nice restaurant connected to the hotel with really good food called Luke's. Breakfast at the Embassy Suites is always a treat. A large variety of food plus cooked to order omlettes and eggs. Due to the size of the hotel, there is first come first serve seating and it can be a challenge. The earlier you go to breakfast the better the chance of getting good seating. The larger your party the more you may want to strategize by having one or 2 people scout a location while you get your food.

The hotel staff was very friendly. Very attentive. The only drawback was the cleaning. The room was cleaned and beds were made, but the tub was not cleaned. The water drained slowly from the tub and there was residue before and after the cleaning. We were there for 3 nights so we started cleaning the tub ourselves after the first time it happened. There is a Walgreens 2 blocks away, so we were able to get supplies without driving somewhere.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank PinkToes_in_the_Sand

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite as well as the location of the hotel near the Majestic Theater and some of the best restaurants in downtown San Antonio. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you visit San Antonio.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We chose this hotel due to our numerous previous experiences with the Embassy Suites brand as well as it's location on the Riverwalk, and were not disappointed. It was in easy walking distance from all of the attractions we were wanting to experience. The hotel is clean and in good repair. The two room suites offer a great experience for families who want to have a separate space for the parents and the kids. The hotel offers a wonderful complimentary breakfast that puts most other hotels to shame. The managers reception in the evening was the only thing that I think could have been better. The snack and drink choices at the reception were very limited unless you drink alcohol. The drinking water from the tap was not very good either, which left even less choices. The price for the hotel was competitive for the area. Our overall experience was first class and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donald A
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. I am very happy you had such a great experience at the property and that we could be part of your time in San Antonio. As we are always looking for ways to improve our service I have shared your feedback regarding our drink selection with our culinary team for review. Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to having you as a guest the next time your are in San Antonio

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We've stayed at this hotel several times and absolutely love it. Free breakfast and it's quite extensive, not just continental. Free afternoon reception from 530 to 730 which includes house white or red wine a couple draft beers and some mixed cocktails. Both really great offerings for guests of the hotel.

There are 2 self service laundry washers and dryers on the second floor, $1.50 per load.

We usually stay in the corner 1 bedroom suites and they are huge! The "living room"area is so big, there are several sitting areas, a microwave, fridge and wet bar, perfect for if you have an infant like we do. They also have cribs if you need one. The rooms are really nicely decorated, not super modern, but still well appointed.

Connected to the hotel is Luke restaurant. A good time to go is for their happy hour, on Tuesdays it's from 3-8pm. Half off almost all drinks, $1 empanadas, 50 cent oysters, $3 sliders. Their regular burger is pretty amazing as well. Happy hour prices are good throughout the restaurant (not just in the bar area).

The proximity to the river walk makes this a great location, it's not a far walk from the Alamo as well. A good restaurant on the river walk is boudros (reservations recommended). Esquire is a cool, very dark bar.

I also loved the luxury which is very close to the art museum. Unlike its name, it's more like a permanent food truck, with great food and drinks. It's all open air and make sure they're open before heading over, I hear they close if there's a chance of rain.

Best time to come is in the spring, the summers are quite hot. Also in the spring San Antonio has fiesta. It's quite busy this time of year. If you plan ahead, you can get tickets to the cornyation, I hear tickets sell out months in advance. If you visit during fiesta, make sure to make reservations for your dinners.

It's nice to take the river cruise at least once, or you can use it as a taxi to get to certain destinations if it works. Look up rio San Antonio cruises taxi to see drop off locations and prices.

I've rented the b- cycle, and it's pretty useful. It helped me get through the hemisfair park to see the tower of Americas pretty quickly. There's a station at the edge of the park, and there's another one right at the tower. I didn't go up the tower, but the grounds around the tower and the park are very pretty. For the b- cycle, you pay for the day and as long as your able to get to the next station within 30 min, there's no additional fee. I think it's about $10 per bike per 24 hour period.

If you head over to austin, you must stop by salt lick in driftwood. We go every time we come here. It's just under an hour from here and about half an hour from austin. Our favorite is the pork ribs plate and sweet tea! Huge plate for $12.95! Don't forget to ask for the tasty bread and pickles!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank travelnfood

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. I am very happy that we were able to create such a great stay for you and to be part of such great memories of San Antonio and the surrounding area. We look forward to having you back as a guest when your travels bring you back to Texas.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, I will try to keep it short and sweet. Location is good, hotel is nice. The only gripe with cleanliness of my room is that the carpet was not vacuumed before I checked into the room. There was a lot of large size debris all over the carpet. Otherwise the room was clean, but it makes you wonder how does the vacuuming get missed?

The biggest upset overall is another story. My stay was booked with Hilton Honors points. When I arrived I was asked for my credit card for "incidentals". Never once was I advised that I will need to pay for anything other then that. I checked out and as I was looking my credit card statement a few weeks later I noticed a 232 dollar charge by the hotel. I called immediately to resolve the issue and through talking with the accounting department I was advised that one of my nights were not covered with the Hilton Honors points and that my card was charged for it. I never agreed to this charge so I asked how to resolve the issue. I was directed to the front office manager Diana. I left a message with my reservation number, phone number and problem. Seven days passed and I did not get a call back that would help me resolve my problem. I called again but the phone would only go to the voicemail. I left another message requesting a call back with no result at all.
So apparently, my conclusion is that the management/ staff charges you for services without authorization/ notification. Be careful providing your credit card. And also, once you leave the hotel don't try to call and ask for help with any matters because it will fall on deaf ears. It all shows lack of regard for a respectable customer.

I had to voice this out in the open because this type of mistreatment is not common in this country and this business is not worthy of consumers confidence because of their blatant disregard for requests for assistance.

I had to go through the Hilton Honors program to remedy this problem. The hotel did not contribute the slightest effort to help me out with the unauthorized charge to my card. Not even a simple call back from two voicemails to Diana - Front Office Manager.

This review is written about two weeks after I left the second message.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank WistaWio
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I certainly apologize for the challenges that you encountered regarding your billing after your stay at the hotel. We take great pride in the service we provide our guests and your experience is in no way indicative of how we typically perform. Again I apologize for any inconvenience that we caused you and we if may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great hotel and location for Alamo, Riverwalk, and proximity to activities in San Antonio. Delivered on what you expect for Emabassy Suites with complimentary hoappy hour and fresh breakfast. Kid friendly. Courteous staff. Would stay here again if given the option.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Derek B

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. We agree our location is great for enjoying all that downtown San Antonio has to offer. Additionally I am glad that you enjoyed those features that really separate us from the rest including our Made to Order Breakfast and our Evening Reception. We look forward to having you as a guest when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.