“It'll Put the Hof Back In Your Brow!”

Hofbrau & Beer Garden
Ranked #327 of 4,626 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Uptown Broadway
Neighbourhood: Uptown Broadway
San Antonio, Texas
“It'll Put the Hof Back In Your Brow!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A warm, sunny spring day in San Antonio just begs for a lunch al fresco. Even the grackles are announcing the end of winter and heralding the hot summer days ahead. Enjoy the mild weather now. And enjoy it we did.
Nice selection of craft beers to choose from. One of thier better and lighter brews is Circle Blur which became a fast favorite among our group who had been drinking various and sundry pints. Crisp and minty, the flavor was a perfect fit for pre-lunch imbibing.
An appetizer of chicken wrapped bacon had one member of our party casting aspersions and making comparisons to jerky, while another had sausages, cheese and bread sticks that tickled his sauerkrkaut. Further, my schnitzel was acceptable with sides of grilled squash and cabbage with bacon. With a name like Hofbrau, what else was I supposed to order?!
The shaded patio here is definitely a place to while away a couple of hours with cold pints, outrageous stories among friends, and some average grub, and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Oktoberfest style German beer garden on the riverwalk”
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Cute atmosphere since the waitresses wear German beer maiden outfits and the menu makes you feel like you are at Oktoberfest. Fried pickles are tasty and also got the coronarita. Cold beers and it's cute to sit at the benches by the riverwalk.

1 Thank mvilla1986
San Antonio, Texas
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

A group of girlfriends and I arrived at around 10:30 pm on St Patty's day. We were just chatting and having a drink and before we knew it, it was a few minutes past closing time (11 pm) and they turned all the lights in the place up to a blindingly high light. Five minutes later they totally turned all the lights off, leaving us in almost complete darkness (I couldn't even finish, let alone write the tip on my $11 drink). Then the manager "Dave" (if that's even his real name) came up to us and told us that they were all tired and wanted to leave and we had to get out. I didn't even get to finish half of my drink. In fact, "Dave" told us that *we* were being rude by not leaving. Hmmm... I thought the customer was always right. Our server was very nice so I felt bad for him, but the manager told us to get out. Several of the ladies in my party work in the service industry and were completely appalled... when a customer arrives late at one of their restaurants, they deal with it instead of rudely telling customers that they are not wanted. I will never go to a Hofbrau again. Stay away unless you like to be screwed over.

Dallas, Texas
“very good selection of draft beers”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We wanted to venture out from Downtown San Antonio so we decided to visit the Quarry. Picked the place out of the blue. We wanted to try something different and were very pleased! The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere very fun and relaxing. TV's at the bar. Outdoor beer garden was huge and the restrooms were very nice and clean. I had the Texas shrimp and pasta dish. She had the pork which was amazing!

• Visited November 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
“Nice selection of beer & margaritas”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I would definitely agree with other reviews saying this is a great place to have drinks with friends. They have a very good selection of beer on tap and dosaritas with various options on flavor of margarita and a beer or alcohol kicker. The food isn't bad, although it isn't really German fair so don't go expecting to have anything authentic. I recommend the pecan crusted chicken or a burger. Both good for the price and the portions are large. My BF and I didn't have a chance to really do the happy hour/hanging out with friends thing, but if I lived and worked in SA within proximity to Hofbrau, I could see myself enjoying payday happy hour here. Patio would be very nice during the fall. If you're visiting, it's worth a trip.

• Visited August 2013