“Fun place to go if you love to try different beers!”

Hofbrau & Beer Garden
Ranked #327 of 4,769 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Uptown Broadway
Neighbourhood: Uptown Broadway
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My daughter, who lives in San Antonio, took me to this restaurant for dinner and drinks one night during my visit because she knows I love to try different beers. This restaurant features regularly 24 different draft choices. It was hard to decide which ones to try. For our meal we each tried the Tomato Chipolte soup which was a thick soup with a little kick to it. We also split the brisket nachos which were pretty good. All in all the food was pretty good but the drinks and atmosphere really made this place. Great live music and great place to either sit outside or inside if you'd rather watch some sports on a tv. My daughter also knew I would love the area. ( this restaurant is located where the Alamo Cement laboratory once operated.) Lots of great shops in this area too.

1  Thank bigthicket

Reviewed 5 May 2014

An overall pleasant dinner. Great 12 oz steak - perfectly prepared, German Weissbeer, friendly waiter, great atmosphere. We really enjoyed it. Recommend it!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

A warm, sunny spring day in San Antonio just begs for a lunch al fresco. Even the grackles are announcing the end of winter and heralding the hot summer days ahead. Enjoy the mild weather now. And enjoy it we did.
Nice selection of craft beers to choose from. One of thier better and lighter brews is Circle Blur which became a fast favorite among our group who had been drinking various and sundry pints. Crisp and minty, the flavor was a perfect fit for pre-lunch imbibing.
An appetizer of chicken wrapped bacon had one member of our party casting aspersions and making comparisons to jerky, while another had sausages, cheese and bread sticks that tickled his sauerkrkaut. Further, my schnitzel was acceptable with sides of grilled squash and cabbage with bacon. With a name like Hofbrau, what else was I supposed to order?!
The shaded patio here is definitely a place to while away a couple of hours with cold pints, outrageous stories among friends, and some average grub, and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Cute atmosphere since the waitresses wear German beer maiden outfits and the menu makes you feel like you are at Oktoberfest. Fried pickles are tasty and also got the coronarita. Cold beers and it's cute to sit at the benches by the riverwalk.

1  Thank mvilla1986
Reviewed 18 March 2014

A group of girlfriends and I arrived at around 10:30 pm on St Patty's day. We were just chatting and having a drink and before we knew it, it was a few minutes past closing time (11 pm) and they turned all the lights in the place up to a blindingly high light. Five minutes later they totally turned all the lights off, leaving us in almost complete darkness (I couldn't even finish, let alone write the tip on my $11 drink). Then the manager "Dave" (if that's even his real name) came up to us and told us that they were all tired and wanted to leave and we had to get out. I didn't even get to finish half of my drink. In fact, "Dave" told us that *we* were being rude by not leaving. Hmmm... I thought the customer was always right. Our server was very nice so I felt bad for him, but the manager told us to get out. Several of the ladies in my party work in the service industry and were completely appalled... when a customer arrives late at one of their restaurants, they deal with it instead of rudely telling customers that they are not wanted. I will never go to a Hofbrau again. Stay away unless you like to be screwed over.