“Joy to the Lunch”

Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
San Antonio, Texas
“Joy to the Lunch”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I honestly don't know what to think of the reviews that denigrate the food here. To start with, the restaurant is bright and clean with table cloths (covered by plastic - can't blame them for trying to keep the laundry bill down). Nice greeting at the door and quick seating. We were here at an off hour for lunch and there were only about 4 tables full. However, I do not agree that this is indicative of or a direct causal factor of the food service.
There are quite a number of lunch specials to choose from. I had the shrimp lo mein and my wife, the beef lo mein. Along with the main entree, you have your choice of egg drop, won ton, or hot and sour soup. Most places just have egg drop and hot and sour. Both the won ton and hot and sour tasted exactly as they were supposed to. Very good. Then you have a choice of egg roll, spring roll, and seafood rangoon. Again, most places only have the choice of egg roll or the rangoon. Loved the crunchy spring roll. And lastly, you could get fried or steamed white rice. We chose fried and thought it tasted just fine. Plenty of beef in the one order and 8 or more U-18 shrimp in mine! Sure the shrimp were previously frozen, but I freeze shrimp myself and use them for dishes at home that taste great. And the noodles . . . my wife lived in Hawaii and said that the wide noodles they use here are authentic to the dishes there and harder to find for lo mein dishes in SA. Anyway, the food is a good deal anywhere you can find it all for $6.50!!
Again, not too many Chinese food restaurants have such a wide selection of lunch entrees at this kind of price. The portions were definitely hearty as well. So don't be afraid of trying this place yourself. You may find plenty of joy in your lunch experience here as we did.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank OmniEpicurean

San Antonio, Texas
“Great Lunch Specials”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My mom has always said that she doesn't like Chinese food. Knowing that she had never had it before I had to be very careful where I introduced her to it! House of Joy has such a great atmosphere, serene music and great wait staff! The lunch menu is 2 pages long and specials are $6.50 between 11am and 3 pm. It is a full size meal that includes choice of rice, entree selection, choice of soup and choice of egg roll, spring roll or crab rangoon. I have taken my mom there at least 4 time and she just lights up when I ask it she would like to go to lunch at the House of Joy.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Susan M
Indian Wells, California
“It was ok”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

it was alright, everything was ok.
no complain and no approve.
wasn't expecting to be nicer
In case im in a hurry i would stop by again if thats my only choice

• Visited October 2012
“Reasonable Chinese in the neighborhood”
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

House of Joy is consistently good and reasonably priced. Near bandera and the staff is always friendly. Not much to see inside but the portions are good and you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Susan R
“Not bad, just nothing great”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The service was a bit unfortunate, we got our appetizer AFTER our main course came out, and the General Tso's glaze seemed like the BBQ Pork red glaze that I've seen used other places. Staff was friendly, but nothing here to go back specifically for.

Visited August 2012