“Incredible Room and Price”

La Hacienda Inn Alamodome/Riverwalk
Ranked #142 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Incredible Room and Price”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The rooms were more like an upscale urban B&B then a budget motel. The bed, bathroom, furniture, TV, and fridge were all relatively new and high qualitiy. Wireless Internet and TV (with nice channel guide) worked fine. The continental breakfast was a bit spartan but at the price we paid I dont see how anyone could expect any better. The staff helped me print my boarding pass on their office printer and lent me a small umbrella when rain was forecast. . The walk to Riverwalk and Alamo was just a few small blocks futher than much more pricy places but you had a nice city view almost the entire way.Overall, this is an exceptional bargain for what you get.

Room Tip: I believe there were only 16 rooms. I dont know if there was an elevator to the 2nd floor but we wer...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob5705

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yakima, WA
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Urban renewal has not caught up with this little gem. Rooms are beautifully renovated and very comfortable. The manager helped us to find the best routes to wonderful restaurants and city attractions. His advice for parking downtown was spot on.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are quiet and easier than the upstairs for old folks.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I read a few reviews and of course was concerned about whether it was in a safe area or not. I decided to dress the way I always do with a black headband and dark sunglasses and everyone seemed friendly to me - mind you I couldnt hear a word they were saying as i had my Beats headphones blaring so loud I thought I was in Detroit. The immediate area has some run down buildings but with two decent hotels 2 blocks closer to town and the ritzy reno-d strip of historic buildings housing some great restos and bars you have to like the locale. If you are worried about walking which I did at night (not seeing a soul) drive the 10 blocks or so or take a cab but this isnt a real bad area. From a real estate point of view I think money is coming in to take over these places as it is so close to the River Walk, Alamo and many other spots. The hotel is okay for the money and not hot breakfast but if you are desperate there is a Dennys about 5 blocks towards town. The most amazing sight was 3 blocks away at the train station. An old steam engine was festooned with millions of Christmas lights and wreaths. I met the guy who runs it - a jolly old soul and he was obviously proud of his baby. I was really glad I booked there and with Ruth Chris Steak House and 2 other fun bars across from there 3 blocks away how can you go wrong. Look - you are just sleeping there and its clean enough and good parking. It was hot when I got into the room so I opened a window and put the air on for a bit. Go for it. I paid around 70 tax in - but Im special!

Room Tip: It was hot when I got into the room so I opened a window and put the air on for a bit.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Marathonman13
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed here in November with a friend. Got a good deal considering it was the week of the Formula 1 race in Austin (which for some reason spills over into San Antonio) and every hotel was WAY overpriced. Even though the hotel is close to the riverwalk, the area of the hotel seems somewhat questionable...its definitely not in the main touristy area. My friend and I had a car, so we did not have to walk to and from the riverwalk. I would definitely not do the walk at night! Ironically, there is a Ruths Chris Steak House (a higher end restaurant) very nearby, so maybe it is a neighborhood in tranasition. There is also free parking on site. The buidling is very well kept and appears to have been renovated (or at least painted) recently. The hotel is clean, quiet and the rooms are spacious. The rooms have a very nice contemporary rustic decor. One concern with the room was the temperature...it would get up to 81 degrees at night for no apparent reason (weather outside was mild) so we found it necessary to sleep with the very loud airconditioning unit on. The hotel is run by an Indian or Pakistani family. Unfortunately they were not very warm. And sometimes their children are left to tend the front desk, which can result in not being able to get your questions answered. And on the day we checked out, we asked to leave our luggage so we could go do more sightseeing. They agreed to allow to do so, but upon our return to pick up our luggage around 12:30pm, we realized that no one was tending the front desk (and maybe even the hotel!)...The owners had left to a party, so we could not get our luggage. Luckily they had left a phone number on the desk, so I called it and had to wait for about 20 minutes for them to return. In the mean time, another family arrived to check in and had to wait as well. When the owners did arrive, they didnt even apologize or offer an explanation. In terms of food, they offer a small continental breakfast with prepackaged pastries, bananas, apples, and coffee. They also sell water, softdrinks and snacks. Coffee maker is available in room as well.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank viajerabohemia
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in May and this place is good, clean, comfortable and decent value for money. The hotel is clean, quiet and the rooms are spacious with a good bathroom.

I am a walker and didnt mind the 10 min walk into town during the day, however, when walking back at night i felt as though i had to be on my guard as the area is not brilliant and a bit run down. That said it is only a short taxi ride from the city so if you are sensible this place is a good find. There are no places to eat or restaurants on hand until you get closer to the centre of the city but if you are driving or getting a cab this shouldnt affect you.

A friendly manager, good room and decent price made this a good place to stay. One of its advantages is that being slightly outside the city means you dont get the noise of revellers making their way home from the riverwalk etc...

This place gets a 4 because its really good inside, location lets it down slightly but if youre driving or happy to walk and want a cheaper place than the city centre then give it a try.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Rich2112
St Ives UK
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Stayed for 3 nights when we visited San Antonio. Room was quiet and clean and within walking distance of Alamo and Riverside Walk. We read that the location was in a dodgy area but we walked several times at different times of the day and encountered no problems. Breakfast very basic but you walk past a Dennys on the way into town so stop there.
Wifi worked well and flatscreen TV good. Be aware there is no pool.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisBStIvesUK
Dallas
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Husband and I stayed two nights and three days and we were impressed room the moment we walked in. The lobby was quiet and clean and check in was quick and easy. Our room was just beautiful and we loved it the moment we opened the door. Later that night some in the room next door began to keep up excessive noise. We reported it to the office an the handled the matter right away. The next day my husband and I were out o the room or a shout time and when we returned it had already been cleaned.
Not recommend when we come back to visit with our granddaughter no pool but for us it was perfect. Really near theRiverwalk and shopping areas.
We really enjoyed our stayed and wildefiantlyly stay here again.
The fee was great.

Room Tip: 108 is a great room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple