“Value can't be beat”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak
Ranked #3 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I was very pleased with my recent stay at the Drury Plaza North in San Antonio. The good reviews here were definitely on target. My room was quiet, the facility was in excellent overall condition, and the staff was helpful, courteous and professional.

I booked online using the Drury Plaza website "websavers" rate. That in itself was an excellent choice. The rate was far lower than comparable properties with similar amenities, and I didn't have to worry about the usual issues if I had booked with a hotel reservation discount site. When I arrived, the front desk was well staffed and quick with their work. When I went up to the room I was given, the "do not disturb" sign was on the door, so I knocked, just in case. There was no answer but when I went in the room was not yet ready for a new patron. Usually, this would be a red flag for me; however, when I returned downstairs to report the issue they immediately apologized and upgraded me to a suite for the same price without any hesitation. I didn't even have to suggest it. BONUS POINTS for them for that.

The evening drinks and food were just alright. I knew ahead of time that I would have limited options as a vegetarian, and I was planning to go out later anyway. I made a salad (not much to choose from though) and had a glass of wine. I saw other guests with plates of pasta with rich-looking marinara sauce (not vegetarian friendly), baked potatoes (yay!), hot dogs and nachos. It's not upscale, but it's certainly something a family could live on if they needed to. Also, the staff there was willing to help me determine if their broccoli cheddar soup was compatible with a vegetarian diet. We discovered it was not - and they were apologetic and asked if I would be able to get enough to eat. Again, bonus points for service and professionalism.

My sleep was good - the bed had plenty of pillow types to choose from and it was comfortable. The suite had a separate sitting area with a couch, table, desk, dresser and second television. Everything was very clean and in good working order. The suite was an accommodated suite so it had some differences. The showerhead was a hand-held removable type. The angle of the shower was too high and not adjustable, so it was better to use the bathtub instead. I assume this was due to the room being set up as an ADA room. I do like the soap and shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the tub area. It's good to know that this hotel is taking steps to reduce plastic waste by eliminating the sample size bottles.

Breakfast was serviceable - not spectacular but certainly friendly and plentiful enough. The oatmeal was notably yummy. Most of the time when I see hotel oatmeal it is runny. This was excellent, thick oatmeal. Brown sugar, raisins and granola were available as toppings. The eggs were certainly food service industrial style - nothing new in hotel breakfast buffets. They also had pancakes, hash browns, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cold cereals, breads/bagels with toasters available, two waffle irons and fresh apples (red delicious - I never like those), oranges (very good) and bananas. My banana was the perfect yellow ripeness - sweet, not tough, no bruises.

While I did not use the pool (too cold) or hot tub (too tired and lazy), the area looked very clean and quite lovely. I also did not use the workout room this time, but I will definitely be back next time and take advantage of it.

The checkout process was simple enough - just turned in my key and went on my way.

I would highly recommend this hotel for all types - family, business travel, or low-cost getaways to a great central Texas city. It's easy to find, it's easy to get on and off of 1604, and getting around the city from there is easy to navigate. It's an easy drive to major attractions but far enough to avoid the usual cost of staying near those attractions. The neighborhood has many stores, restaurants and shops nearby. I never worried about personal safety or the safety of my belongings or my car. All in all, this hotel gets a big thumbs up.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Trooper88

Reviewed 13 February 2013

This was our second stay at a Drury on our trip from MN to TX...our first was in Wichita. This facility is new so, as expected, everything was in tip top condition. The decor is modern, the staff was exceptionally helpful, the rooms large and the furniture comfortable, the beds were very comfortable, the breakfast better than most hotels, and the evening "kick back" was great...saved us going out for a meal after a long travel day. The front desk person (Chatchi) went out of his way to help us in various ways....our visit to the Riverwalk, having his brother in Corpus Christi recommend restaurants when we arrive there, etc., etc. It is clear the staff has an extremely high service ethic. We would definitely recommend this facility to anyone and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2011CamaroSS
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Very nice all around. Breakfast was good. Not able to participate in the happy hour, unfortunately. That would have added to the experience. Property is fairly new so it did not show up on my GPS. After a quick call to the hotel, found out it is right next door to the Drury Suites hotel. Address shows much farther south west. Service was excellent, a housekeeper (didn't get her name) helped me with my bags all the way to my car! I'm sure that isn't part of her job description. Loved the covered parking garage also! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

This hotel was the complete package for this business traveler. It was clean, in good repair, quiet, and the Internet was stable and truly high-speed (so I could have a good remote connection to company network). Bonuses for me included housekeeping staff attending to room no matter what time I left for the day, a parking garage, and the shower dispensers (soap, shampoo, conditioner), and quieter heat and cool system. I never used business or fitness centers, swimming pool (they do have one), or any of the dining options. In fact, after checking in, I never had any reason to step foot in the lobby again (came and went through parking garage and elevators and had zero problems all week).

This property was an outstanding value and I will very likely be back again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was the first time I stayed at Drury. The hotel was very clean overall. The room was good size and very comfortable. There is an happy hour and a breakfst buffet. There is plenty of seating so you don't feel like your eating a small room like some other hotel chains. I thought it was a great place for the price.

Room Tip: Even though it was winter I had a room overlooking the pool that was on the 5th floor I think.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We have never stayed at a Drury Hotel before, but we will definitely seek them out in the future! This place hits the mark on everything - quality, service, EVERYTHING. Friendly staff! Seriously, even the people in the hallways said hello to us! Def. worth staying here!
Oh and a note on being clean - I have an aversion to dirt and germs, and seriously this place was amazing. If you don't believe me, when you book your room - check behind the bedside tables. It's not dusty or collecting random things - whoever cleans the rooms actually MOVES the furniture to vacuum! I cannot tell you how uncommon this seems to be there days, and it may be small, but it's appreciated!

I also love that they have been smart about being "green" - using dispensers in the shower instead of buying thousands of little shampoo bottles that we only end up taking home with us. Two flow options on the toilet - small things that really add up and make you say "wow"!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2012

We stayed at the Drury on a Friday night at the beginning of our 1600 mile road trip. Absolutely everyone at this hotel was polite, informative, professional and just lovely, The accomodations were teriffic, the location can't be beat and they were wonderful to our dog. Generous "kick-back" hour and breakfast! Go, stay and enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family