“Not sure what the all the fuss is about -- big rooms but avoid Break”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak
Ranked #3 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Booked a room here after reading the wonderful reviews. We have traveled all over the country, and appearances were a bit deceiving. We came to get a decent night of sleep. Unfortunately for us, it is the start of Spring break and EVERYONE and their many kids were staying here.

On the plus side, the room was large (though since we were on the poolside, don't expect to try to sleep prior to the closing hours with the noise from the kids playing.) Room was very clean, though the two type of toilet flushing (to conserve water) where you have to push the button for 'liquids' or 'solids' was not our preference. Hot breakfast with many selections (if you don't mind waiting with 100 other people in line). By the time we got thru the line, the food on our plates was cold because the lobby was so cold.

On the minus side, 1) the abundance of people in the lobby for breakfast reminded us of the "cattle call" on cruise ships, with about the same noise level, wait lines with styrofoam plates, and two waffle irons for the whole crowd. 2) it was advertised that hot popcorn is in the lobby. On the three times we went there (morning, 1:30pm, 3pm) there was none made. What was there at 7:30pm was burnt. 3) The "spa" outside was not even the 104 degrees that hot tubs are so not very hot, and the "heated" pool was that warm so we skipped those. 4) we have a wonderful jackhammering that we are hearing this morning which is convincing us another night is out of the question because we just want to chill. 5) The pillows in the room are very fat, so if you are used to sleeping with something thinner, bring your own. 6) The beds have some sort of ripples (perhaps a pillowtop) and between the mattress and pillows, we barely slept. 7) You still hear doors slamming and footsteps in the room so not as soundproof as we would have liked.

In comparison to a Le Meridian, Biltmore, or Drake hotel, we would rank this under them and thus the three star rating.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the pool side. Noisy from construction and kids in the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank parodyqueen
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced while staying at Drury Plaza Hotel North. For a hotel that prides itself on personal service, we regret any disappointment you may feel. San Antonio is a very popular location for families celebrating Spring Break week and Drury Plaza Hotel North is the hotel of choice because of the many extras that we include at no charge.

I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you in greater detail about your experiences. Please contact me directly at your convenience and we hope to restore your confidence in us and welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Michael Bazar

Reviewed 9 March 2013

I booked this hotel based upon the Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. My room was huge and very clean. I heard very little noise from other guests, and the staff was friendly. Breakfast was nice and the happy hour was appreciated, but I'm not sure that hot dogs and fake-cheese nachos presented quite the image this hotel is going for.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TexMomx3
Reviewed 4 March 2013

First tip-make sure you have the RIGHT hotel. There are 2 Drury properties side by side...this one (Drury Plaza Hotel) and the Drury Inn and Suites. Make sure you stay at this one...the Plaza Hotel.

As far as the review...it was great! Checking in was no problem once I found out I went to the wrong hotel next door (Drury Inn and Suites)...lol Hotel lobby was decorated very nicely with modern decor. Spacious is the word that comes to mind. There was free fresh popcorn and soda/coffee availabl. The staff was very courteous and I love the more private layout of the hotel.

Other amenities-we used the pool (outdoor/heated) and hot tub which is a very relaxing area on the rooftop. The hotel also has a parking garages whose elevators let you out right into the same elevators in the lobby, so it was convienient. The hotel has a kickback time where they offer appetizers and drinks (1 alcoholic drink per person, and limited bar available for regular pricing).

The only negative thing I found was the walk in shower. Don't get me wrong....it was a beauitful bathroom!! It didn't look as if the floors in the walk in showers are easy to clean, and you can't see with the dark tile below your feet...so I was hoping that the floors were cleaned well. I might be the only one that feels this way about it, so take it for what it is worth and perhaps bring shower shoes if it would bother you. Otherwise I won't let this affect my review.

Overall, price was very reasonable for room and amenities. Quiet stay. Clean rooms. Courteous staff. You can't go wrong with staying here really...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Excellent hotel! Very clean, staff was super friendly and helpful. Has a gated security parking garage which is a real plus. Rooms are large and comfortable. Free hot breakfast topped off a great stay. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Pleasant staff. The whole lobby smelled of hot fresh popcorn. The rooms were clean and spacious. Awesome water pressure from shower. The beds were normal drury beds(not the most comfortable but not rock hard either). The outdoor pool is heated and they have two Jacuzzis. Frankly, the entire outdoor pool area was relaxing and fun for adults and kids. The parking garage was great. The elevators were slow so we took stairs the whole time.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TROXHEAD
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My husband and I just wanted a days drive from Kansas to get out of the cold and get some sun. We found it in San Antonio, and the Drury Plaza Hotel. We are going to make this an annual trip, to break up the winter. WE stayed 4 nights, and enjoyed the warm sun by the pool every day. The great breakfast, and evening Kickback meal will keep us coming back, as well as the very accomodating staff. Our room was very comfortable and clean. Loved the tiled walk in shower. Little things like coffee always fresh and available, the popcorn always ready and hot, make it a real treat. It's really a beautiful hotel, and reasonable for the features. It also has indoor parking, and feels very secure. Be ready for the Texas taxes. But that's okay, it's a great state, and I'm happy to donate to them.

Room Tip: WE were on the 5th floor out of 10. Which is good. The outdoor pool is on the 5th floor, as well a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DerbyKansaslady
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My husband and I decided to take a last minute 3 night getaway to SA, and I tried to get a hotel room on the Riverwalk, where we usually stay. I couldn't get a room for less than $250/night, almost everything was booked for the Rodeo/Valentines, I guess, but I am so glad we stayed here instead! I requested a high floor and snagged the top floor with a nice view of the city. This hotel appears almost new, and we had a great experience. The people are very friendly, rooms are large and tastefully decorated, and we slept great all 3 nights. This location is also convenient to wherever you might want to go. Another thing, my husbands room key stopped working and the front desk asked for our ID before she re-programmed the key - you would be amazed at how many times at other hotels we never get asked for ID, they just ask us our room number! Parking is free and convenient - big parking garage makes up the 2nd-4th floors. Nice workout machines, pretty pool, and the breakfast was better than most free offerings. We did venture to the Riverwalk the day after Valentines Day, and everything was so packed and loud. We had to wait over an hour for our dinner seating, walking was impossible - the place is so crowded with teenagers. I guess we are looking for something more relaxing now. We highly recommend this hotel - it is our new home base for our San Antonio trips!

Room Tip: Elevators are in a seperate little wing, so noise should be minimized, but rooms on the end of the h...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple