“Can't fault it during my short stay”

City View Inn & Suites Sunset Station
Ranked #9 of 42 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here with my girlfriend for less than 8 hours during an overnight connection at the Amtrak train station. Here's what you need to know;

- Very close to the train station, a short stroll which we did with 20kg/45lb backpacks on
- Excellent service from front desk even late at night and early in the morning
- Very modern and clean rooms with comfortable beds and sheets and great bathroom

We were lamenting not staying in San Antonio longer in this great hotel.

Room Tip: Another travel buddy got a smokey room when she asked for non-smoking. If this happens just ask to b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 7TroopCutCopyPaste

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in April for a conference and found the hotel better than I'd expected. The taxi driver who brought me there was even commenting that I'd made a good choice as the place is quite new. It is not a luxury hotel so don't go there looking for an expansive lobby etc, there is none of that. It is small and basic, but the accommodations are very well put together. Everything in the room is very well maintained and clean. The design of the bathroom is very nice with very nice materials used for the surfaces etc. The Wi-fi was pretty good as well. There is no laundry on site so if you're expecting that as I was...don't.
There is no food facility on site so you will definitely have to go out to eat. The neighbourhood is quite unremarkable which means no charm, and nothing close by of note really. It was very quiet when I was there. I walked a few blocks to Fatty's Burgers which will give you burgers that justify the name, but their cake was bloody tasty! The residences that I saw as I walked to and from the hotel seemed rather run down, and the whole route was so quiet that it was eery. I had the feeling that I was on the outskirts of civilisation.
From my window I had a great view of the Tower of the Americas where I went to have a delicious dinner one day. Some Texan friends and I walked to the Alamo which must have taken about 20 minutes if I recall well, but it was an easy walk anyway. From there we went down to the riverwalk, and after a nice meal and margaritas walked back to the hotel. My friends who were very accustomed to staying in upscale hotels were also pleasantly surprised at the 'niceness' of the hotel...they'd wondered before they arrived what sort of mess I'd gotten them in to.
There were two front desk personnel while I was there, one per shift. One of them was pleasant, the other was a bit indifferent but not 'unpleasant'. The cleaning staff were nice and professional as well. The hotel was so quiet that it may as well have been empty. I slept really well.
Would I stay there again? Absolutely. I think it is a real gem for the budget traveller. Nothing shady, nothing to complain about for me. Budget travellers get some before it runs down!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank colly392
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We had the BEST experience at this place last year for our Honeymoon in the room with the hottub!! The people were SUPER nice and friendly and VERY helpful!!!! :)) We may just be going again for our Anniversary!! Cant wait!! :))

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paulene W
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed there on May 2012 and were impressed the modern amenities along with the friendliness of the staff. It's a small hotel and is new having only been open for a little over a year from what we were told. We were able to walk to the Riverwalk/Alamo (it's about 5 blocks) from there both days along with walking to the tower of the Americas. The Alamodome is right next door only a couple blocks as well if you have something going on there. If you don't want to walk to the Riverwalk there is a city bus stop right across the street literally a hundred feet from the hotel and will take you to the Riverwalk area if you don't want to walk it which I know not everyone can or will.

For a couple on vacation this place suited our needs and was reasonably priced. If you're traveling to San Antonio this place deserves a look.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goldenfan_2001
Reviewed 18 March 2012

They wouldn't let me have a room!

I attended a conference in San Antonio March 8-10. I drove into San Antonio the morning of the 8th. I parked in the hotel parking lot and stopped in at the front desk to ask if it was okay if I parked. I mentioned I had a reservation for that evening but hadn't checked in (since it was only 8:00 am). The man at the front desk asked for my name and checked reservations. He said that he didn't have a reservation for me. I told him I made the reservation through Travelocity on March 6, just 2 days prior. He told me he'd check into it and it was okay to park.

I walked back to the hotel around 6:30 pm and went to the front desk to check in. The man at the front desk did not have a reservation for me or any information provided to him about the conversation I had earlier in the morning. I called Travelocity to check on the situation and expected things to be resolved quickly. The Travelocity customer service agent told me that my reservations were made for the 6-8th instead of the 8-10th. He offered no solution until I specifically asked. This was disconcerting since I had already informed him that I was in the hotel lobby trying to check in. He called the hotel. The front desk clerk called his supervisor. Then the front desk clerk talked to the Travelocity customer service agent and told him that they didn't have any rooms available. I have a difficult time believing this is the case, since the parking lot was empty besides my car and another car.

They absolutely refused to work with me and told me it wasn't their fault my reservation didn't go through correctly. Maybe it wasn't their fault. But given the opportunity to solve a problem and do the right thing, they failed. I was absolutely flabbergasted.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachel W
cityviewinnandsuites, Webmaster at City View Inn & Suites Sunset Station, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Rachael W.,

Thank you for your recent attempt to stay at City View Inn & Suites Sunset Station during your recent stay in our area.

• Front desk staff received additional training in proper communication between their members concerning registrations etc.

• Front desk staff received additional training in the courteous manner in which you, our valued guest, are to be treated.

• Management was approached about having a system that would properly show registrations made online.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to attempt to stay at City View Inn & Suites Sunset Station. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Very impressed with this hotel especially for the low price of $70 I would recommend this hotel to anybody because they offer very good amenities such as plasma TVs modern furniture new and very comfortable beds clean linen the hotel smelled nice and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Lovemyfood86
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed here when went to Women of Faith Conference at Alamodome. Able to just walk over to Alamodome and Sunset Station. Staff was friendly and security cameras covered hallways, parking lot, etc. Parking is very limited. Felt very secure here. Planning on staying next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends