“What a Pleasant Surprise”

City View Inn & Suites Sunset Station
Ranked #9 of 42 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here while on way out to points further west. I did not hold out much hope when we initially deove into town off Hwy 10 and went through what looked like a depressed industrial area.

But the hotel is actually on the fringe of the downtown area. You could even walk there if you had good weather and comfy shoes. The famous Riverwalk with all its quaint shops, restaurants and craft booths.

The desk clerk told us they had only been open fourteen months and the place still looked and smelled new. The bed was comfy and the room was clean. I would definitely stay here again if we ever go thru San Antonio in the future.

The only drawback is the tiny parking lot.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chakkuri

Reviewed 21 September 2012

My husband is very picky about hotels. And these days with prices skyrocketing, it's rare to find one closer to the $100 range than the $200+ range that is up to par. We were a little skeptical about Cityview, as we were only able to find great reviews; other than a reservation mixup and grouchy customers, nobody had ANYTHING bad to say. And, that's not normal. But, we were heading into town for a cousin's wedding and didn't have a ton to spend, so took a chance and booked a room. It couldn't have been a better experience!!! All we wanted was a place to turn in at night; we knew the rooms were relatively small, and that no breakfast is served, and were fine with that. But every fantastic thing we'd read turned out to be completely true. The whole place is pristinely clean. The beds are comfy, the carpets barefoot-worthy, the showers luxurious. Also, our room was updated with a spot to hang clothes as well as a grab bar in the shower (which, although it did have those little rough strips, is completely free of hardwater buildup so was rather more slick than I'm accustomed to). The staff was warm, welcoming and friendly. This place is incomparable in quality, even against some of the well-established name brand places we've stayed. And at a fraction of the price, that's sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake! On a typical Texas day it's too miserable outside to walk to the Riverwalk (sorry, no offense meant to the natives, we're just not from here and are unaccustomed to the relentless heat!), but on a cool day it'd be a pleasant stroll. Either way the cab fare's not bad, and the service was surprisingly prompt both times we used it. Oh, also it is a block away from the railroad, but that didn't bother my husband's or my sleep. But, it may be a factor to consider if you're a very light sleeper who's used to absolute quiet.

Room Tip: No smoking inside the hotel, and no balconies but the ground floor has doors that open directly to t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristie S
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This hotel was over all an average hotel. The only thing I have to complain about is the parking. It is very limited on where to park. If the parking lot is full, you will have to park on the main street of Commerce. Also the curtains are location right on top of the a/c unit. The window is only covered with a very thin white curtain which blocks not much sunlight and also doesn't help when the bed is right next to the window as well. And if you're anything like me, I like my rooms to be dark. The hotel is close to I-35, and walking/driving distant to riverwalk. I recommend walking there during the day, and driving at night. Cleanness of the hotel was good. Also if you are booking with hotels.com I recommend you don't. My boyfriend and I booked with them and when we got to the hotel to check it, it took us nearly 30 mins because of miss communication between hotels.com and cityview inn If I had to stay here again I would, but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is a brand new hotel! the front desk had wonderful customer service. we got this hotel from Travelocity's Secret Hotel deal and we were weary of staying here after seeing the location and the pictures didn't look too nice... once we got to the hotel we were definitely proofed wrong. It still smells brand new and the staff is extremely courteous. the location is not bad at all and we even walked to the river walk (1 mile). it was a wonderful hotel for our short stay downtown. wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Romina F
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here with my girlfriend for less than 8 hours during an overnight connection at the Amtrak train station. Here's what you need to know;

- Very close to the train station, a short stroll which we did with 20kg/45lb backpacks on
- Excellent service from front desk even late at night and early in the morning
- Very modern and clean rooms with comfortable beds and sheets and great bathroom

We were lamenting not staying in San Antonio longer in this great hotel.

Room Tip: Another travel buddy got a smokey room when she asked for non-smoking. If this happens just ask to b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 7TroopCutCopyPaste
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in April for a conference and found the hotel better than I'd expected. The taxi driver who brought me there was even commenting that I'd made a good choice as the place is quite new. It is not a luxury hotel so don't go there looking for an expansive lobby etc, there is none of that. It is small and basic, but the accommodations are very well put together. Everything in the room is very well maintained and clean. The design of the bathroom is very nice with very nice materials used for the surfaces etc. The Wi-fi was pretty good as well. There is no laundry on site so if you're expecting that as I was...don't.
There is no food facility on site so you will definitely have to go out to eat. The neighbourhood is quite unremarkable which means no charm, and nothing close by of note really. It was very quiet when I was there. I walked a few blocks to Fatty's Burgers which will give you burgers that justify the name, but their cake was bloody tasty! The residences that I saw as I walked to and from the hotel seemed rather run down, and the whole route was so quiet that it was eery. I had the feeling that I was on the outskirts of civilisation.
From my window I had a great view of the Tower of the Americas where I went to have a delicious dinner one day. Some Texan friends and I walked to the Alamo which must have taken about 20 minutes if I recall well, but it was an easy walk anyway. From there we went down to the riverwalk, and after a nice meal and margaritas walked back to the hotel. My friends who were very accustomed to staying in upscale hotels were also pleasantly surprised at the 'niceness' of the hotel...they'd wondered before they arrived what sort of mess I'd gotten them in to.
There were two front desk personnel while I was there, one per shift. One of them was pleasant, the other was a bit indifferent but not 'unpleasant'. The cleaning staff were nice and professional as well. The hotel was so quiet that it may as well have been empty. I slept really well.
Would I stay there again? Absolutely. I think it is a real gem for the budget traveller. Nothing shady, nothing to complain about for me. Budget travellers get some before it runs down!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank colly392
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We had the BEST experience at this place last year for our Honeymoon in the room with the hottub!! The people were SUPER nice and friendly and VERY helpful!!!! :)) We may just be going again for our Anniversary!! Cant wait!! :))

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple