“Visit to the Alamodome, San Antonio for Drum Corps International”

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #57 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
phoenix
“Visit to the Alamodome, San Antonio for Drum Corps International”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We picked this hotel because it was within walking distance to the River Walk and the Alamodome. Friendly valet staff- parking was $21.00 a day (non secured,not in a garage) . If you drive, you may want to consider this since there is limited parking around the hotel that has free overnight parking. Our room was on the 4th floor near the elevator and VERY noisy. That next day, we did ask to be moved to another room away from the elevators. The hotel was booked but the front desk said they would do their best to accommodate us. They did have another room for us that afternoon and they offered to move us. Breakfast was great, the staff was attentive to all guests and made a point to said good morning to the everyone. The staff kept the area clean and well stocked with items and the hot foods and coffee were always hot. It was nice to see several service staff working the breakfast area. Not once did anyone have to ask if they were bringing out more of something. There was always someone to take my plate when I was finished with it. I was impressed - breakfast was always busy and the staff was on top of it all. Since it was summer time, the pool was very busy, many travelers with young kids so we did not venture out to the pool or spa. The hotel has a pantry where you can purchase items to take to your room, cold items and drinks, such as pop, juice, wine and beer. Note- they will not sell adult beverages to you after midnight even if you are trying to make a choice at 11:55 with your wife (you know she will take some time to decide) and then mosey up to the desk with your wine and they say "sorry we do not sell wine or beer after 12. I am not sure if that was posted but just an FYI :) Rooms were clean and comfortable. Our stay was enjoyable at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators, if you travel in the summer time, pick a room at the far en...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Louisiana
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This is a typical Fairfield Inn.....clean rooms and friendly staff. It is about a 10 minute easy walk to the convention center and you pass through the Rivercenter Mall that provides relief from the heat during the summer on the walk. Hint......request a room on the east side as the Bonham Street side is noisy on the nights the bar/dance club is open which is located across the street from the hotel......especially when the drunks start leaving the bar at the closing around 2 and 3 AM.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
baby1519, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Bandman15,

Thank you for staying at our hotel. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback to ensure the best quality and service to all of our guests.

The bar you are referring to is a well known venue that has been there for many years and enjoyed by many. We apologize for inconveniences you may have experienced and apologize about the noise. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had a very comfortable multi-night stay in a suite during a conference held at the Marriott down the street. The staff was excellent - friendly and helpful. Everyone I dealt with seemed genuinely happy to be working there (not small thing). The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. My only complaint is that the living area was a bit dark - the sun couldn't make it from the window, and the lights were a bit inadequate. But otherwise it was a good space.

Breakfast was plentiful and tasty, if not a bit crowded. The gym was more than adequate, and folks seemed to enjoy the pool.

Above all, the location was ideal. Less than ten minutes to the Marriott, and much, much cheaper. Also, it's around the corner from the Alamo, if you're looking to go there.

Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FeltonS
Pachuca, Mexico
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I´ve stayed in Fairfield´s before, my wife and I chose this one due to the location. Price was with in budget and apparently making a reservation through booking gave us a better price for night. Turns out there is a 21 (twenty one dollar fee) for valet parking (valet service is optional), I was aware of it but there was a catch. Booking.com does not give you the full price of your stay, you have to add takes to get the final price witch I got on my check out day so that blew a hole in my budget I ended paying 300 plus dollar for two nights. The hotel was not over priced it is worth every last cent. but again it went over my budget. I

We stayed two nights in a two queen bed room witch was big and comfortable, there was enough space for 4 adults, luggage and shopping bags.

The staff at the front desk is very proficient, room keeping does the job right. There are enough carts for you to haul your luggage if needed so there is no need to fight for them. There is fresh coffee 24/7 at the front desk. Breakfast area needs an expansion either wake up early and hit the breakfast table of wait until breakfast time is almost over to get a table.

The location of this hotel is great if you are going to sight see San Antonio, The Alamo is about 4 blocks away, the river center an convent center the same. River Walk around the corner. Access to I-35 and other mayor roads are about 3 miles and 2 traffic lights from the hotel.

The valet is fast and do speak English and Spanish, so there is no problem if you happen to be mexican. Tip as always is optional.

Room Tip: Wen going up on the elevator, the elevator on the left while standing in front of them, beware of it...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David Alfonso A
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I made a last minute reservation for the weekend and this was the only hotel I could get. However I was well pleased with our stay and the staff was wonderful. It was walking distance to the Riverwalk so it was full of families with lots of kids. I was there with my husband because we had a very ill family member in the hospital Nd when I saw the lobby, I shuddered. To my amazement this is one of the quietist hotels I have been in for a long time. I usually get an automatic upgrade, but there were none to be had so we had a very small room and it was fine.

Breakfast was so crowded that I took mine up to my room to eat. I had oatmeal, which is my usual breakfast and it was excellent, creamy and not runny. Now, when I have to come back I will choose this hotel.

Room Tip: This is the only time I have been here so I have no way to compare. We were on the 5th floor away f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Huntsville, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The location of this hotel is great. Across the street from the Alamo and a short walk to the Riverwalk. The front desk and the valet service were some of the best. They both were very helpful and polite. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. All was good till we got home and found an email from the hotel with an additional charge of $78 dollars. I immediately called the number posted in the email and inquired about the additional charge. They could not answer why and said that the mgr. would call me the next day. The next day went by with no call, so I called back at the end of the day and I was informed that I was charged for a set of sheets because there was "poop" on the sheets. I about lost it and informed the clerk that he was full of sh%# and there was no way that there was "poop" on the sheets. After a week of phone calls back and forth to the mgr. I came up with the realization that I had been charged a new set of sheets for a sweat ring left on the sheets from a hat that was put there while we were packing up. The mgr finally refunded our charge after I had to threaten him with a letter from my lawyer. We loved the hotel and the help, but do not trust the management because of the drummed up charges. Be careful not to sweat in Texas and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a great room on the ground floor. Noise was not an issue at all.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Danls2004
epenasales, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Danls2004,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond to our hotel regarding your experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are surprised to hear about the incident at our hotel. Rest assure that we will investigate your experience to ensure it does not happen again. We escalate all travelers comments to our management both positive and negative to ensure the best quality of service to all of our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The staff was great and helpful. Clean rooms. No noise or stomping from the floors above us! Good free breakfast. 5 min walk to the Riverwalk. Valet crew were prompt and had our car ready every time! This is where I'll be staying every time we visit San Antonio!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Dvillalobos,

Thank you so much for your positive review! We greatly appreciate both positive and negative reviews to improve our service to all of our guests.

Thank you for taking time out and letting us know about stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Esmeralda Pena