“So disorganised!”

US$96.33*
Texas LBJ Ranch and Hill Country Tour
US$44.38*
and up
San Antonio Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour, River Cruise, and Tower of the...
Ranked #23 of 63 Tours in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Full Day / Half Day Guided and Narrated Tours of San Antonio. Visit the Alamo, River Boat Ride, The Missions and much more. Hill Country Tours, Tour LBJ Ranch, The Texas White home of the 36th President of the United States, Visit the Johnson family Cemetery where the President and Lady Bird are buried. Wine Tours in the Hill Country where you will visit two wineries and sample six Texas wines at each location.
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My biggest problem with this tour was that it was simply disorganised. The tour company had insisted that I be collected from my hotel and bussed to the ticket counter, so I was picked up at 8.20am. We then drove in circles around downtown San Antonio until 9.05am picking up other guests, on two occasions returning to hotels at which we had already stopped. At 9.45am we were sat in the bus at Alamo Plaza waiting to leave, only to be told that we were two passengers short so we were just going to wait a few more minutes. We eventually set off just before 10am. By this point, I had been sat on that bus for ninety minutes - my hotel is less than a ten minute walk from Alamo Plaza! I was not the only passenger who was extremely unimpressed by this, particularly considering how much the ticket cost. We had lost an hour of our tour, which the driver reassured us he would make up. This never happened.

The journey to the LBJ ranch took about an hour and a half. Following a rapid drive through the grounds, we managed to spend about thirty minutes in the house and then it was back into the bus. We arrived in Fredericksburg at about 1.30pm and were told that we needed to be back at the pick up point by 3.30pm. For those who were wanting to have a meal in a restaurant, this left barely any time to explore the area.

I sacrificed lunch for shopping. If you're not too bothered about getting a proper meal, I would definitely recommend stopping off at the Kuhl Frozen Yoghurt place on Main. They don't have a lot of flavours, but some are quite interesting (cake batter, anyone?) and there are all sorts of toppings and sauces. I did regret not having a real lunch though. Even walking slowly and browsing through about 50% of the shops, I still only managed to stretch the trip to about seventy five minutes.

Once we got back to San Antonio, we went round and round downtown again. I was the last to be dropped off, despite my hotel being so close to the tour base. Having been picked up at 8.20am, I didn't get back until 5.15pm. Of that, only about three hours were spent actually doing anything. This tour was so bad that I didn't even bother leaving a tip for the driver.

Good points: someone else gets to drive.

Bad points: expect a lot of waiting around.

2  Thank SarahKnowsThisOne
edward t, Manager at Alamo Sightseeing Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for our response. we appreciate input from all our customers and find it an effective tool in improving our customer service. we do offer complimentary hotel pick up service throughout San Antonio as an added convenience to our guests. the pick up service is not mandatory,however the majority of our guests utilize the service. i apologize if you felt inconveninced while picking up other guests, during our peak season there may be several hotels requesting the service which will take longer to pick up all passengers. our brochue states teh location of the ticket center where the tour departs and many customers staying close will meet us at our location. in response to the Hill Country Tour, the drive to and from is aproximately 1 hour and 15 minutes each way. That will leave aproximately 5 hours to visit Fredericksburg and the LBJ Ranch. We typically spend aproximately 21/2 hour in Fredericksburg for lunch and shopping.

Once again thank you for your input.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My friends and I took the Texas Hill Country Tour. Our bus driver and guide was Mac. He was great. Very informative. We loved LBJ's ranch. Fredricksburg was okay. A lot of shops and a couple of bakeries. Our driver did drive us around through the homes and tell us about the town and its history which was interesting.

edward t, Owner at Alamo Sightseeing Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Since we were only in San Antonio for a weekend we took the Grand Tour. This is an all day tour (about 8 hours) and is the way to go! Our guide David was very knowledgeable and was wonderful. We visited the Alamo, Missions, the Buckhorn Saloon & Musuem, the Japenese Tea Garden, the Marketplace, and took the River Cruise. David told us the history of San Antonio and the history of each place we visited. On the River Cruise our guide was Tony and he was great too. He had a great sense of humor and provided us with a lot of information about the river and buildings/hotels along the river walk. We stopped mid-afternoon for a break and had plenty of time for a nice leisurely lunch. Our tickets were purchased online before our trip but the brochure we got stated there is a discount for active or retired military, with one full fare the second ticket is discounted.

I want to thank you for visting our city and taking our tour. We appreciate the feedback and thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Bought voucher through Viator. No instruction as to where to meet or anything, collect your money and forget about you. I called Viator, was told to contact local San Antonio city tour company. Called them and they said they would pick me up at the hotel lobby. I called the night before the tour to confirm, we got up early and waited at the lobby for an hour and I called them multiple times, and they said they are running late and just wait. On my last call to them, they claim the could not find me in the lobby and ask me to meet them at the Alamo. We walked there and after asking around found their office. Was greeted by an extremely rude and unprofessional lady, I immediately requested a refund and she said she cannot do it. Luckily another guy who work there intervened and contacted the bus driver and made arrangement to have the bus pick us up. The tour was not well organized, meeting places through out the trip meeting points were not well set, all the churches we visited we not available for viewing, and the venues where not interesting. Should have taken the advice of some of the low scoring reviews but I really wanted this to be a great experience, but it is a definite let down.

1  Thank kcliew

I want to thank you for the feedback, we use all feed back as a valuable resource in improving our service. We have contacted our third party vendors including Viator to assist us in providing the most accurate information possible. When booking through a third party, all initial information provide will come directly from them we can only request language that they may use. we also appreciate your feedback on the tour and the attractions we visit.

Thank you for your feedback and for visiting our beautiful city.

Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

The tour is a great way to experience all San Antonio has to offer in a day. The driver picked me up from my hotel promptly at 8 am. We started the tour around 9 am once other tour participants arrived. My favorite spots were the Japanese Tea Garden and Mission Concepcion. The only thing is you don't get to spend as much time in one location because of time constraints. Overall it was a great tour-safe and reliable.

I just wanted to take time to thank you for visiting our city, taking our tour and providing feedback.