“Funky Hotel...In a Good Way”

Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #29 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Raleigh
“Funky Hotel...In a Good Way”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Spent 3 nights in early April for a family vacation. Other family members joined a day later and staff accommodated by putting us in adjacent rooms...well done.

The rooms are fresh and modern, as is the rest of the hotel. We had two adults and two children in our room which was accommodated well with the kind bed and pull out sofa bed. The two beds can be separated with a curtain to manage light as needed. There is plenty of counter space and the complimentary juices, coffee and such in the lobby were a nice touch. The breakfast was a bit disappointing but tolerable.

Parking is available across the street for much less $ than valet parking but we did valet as they promised a secure lot. It is pricey though ($23/day + tax).

The Riverwalk is two short blocks down Navarro and the Alamo/Rivercenter Mall is three blocks down Houston street. Very good location.

The room air conditioning fan was very loud which is a bit annoying when watching TV and the pool is, frankly, a joke (it's a large hot tub). The workout room is basic but does include everything you need including free weights. If you are a running, I suggest running the riverwalk in the morning ahead of the crowds, it is great!

Hotel staff was helpful. The cleaning crew missed our room the first day but we were able to get fresh towels after mentioning to the staff.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RaleighBri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Not bad. Rooms were extremely clean, pretty retro, and super renovated. The shower had a built-in Neutrogena shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispenser. There's an alarm clock/radio that is loud if you feel like hooking up your aux. cord to your iPod (not so loud that you'll disturb your neighbors, of course). In our room, there was a divider that separates the couch from the bed. That was a neat touch. The kitchen was nice. New appliances. I felt like I was in a studio in a condo. Decent downtown views. Smiling/helpful staff. Close to places to eat and the Riverwalk. Overall, a good stay. No trouble came our way.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location just a couple blocks from the Alamo and the Riverwalk. I wish the pool was bigger or at least make it into a giant hot tub by turning up the temperature. Another thing they could improve on is a varety of breakfast options.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jojovolleyball
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was great. When I first stepped into the spacious lobby I immediately felt welcome by the friendly staff. When I arrived at my room i was alarmed because the room door was wide open. This was a bad way to start the stay but the hotel definitely made up for it. The room was spotless clean and the sheets appeared to be brand new. The bed was also one of the most comfortable i've ever slept in at a hotel. This hotel was just outstanding. The only real problem about the hotel was the valet parking. The Valet was probably one of the worst i've ever experienced at a hotel. We called twenty minutes prior to have our car brought and it still wasn't ready by the time we arrived to pick it up. Onetime after thirty minutes of waiting the valet brought the wrong car. This hotel needs to fix the valet system. If you are pressed for time you have to call almost forty minutes in advanced.

Room Tip: Call along time in advanced for valet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IM515
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Located conveniently 2 blocks from the riverwalk within walking distance of great restaurants and attractions. Only time we used our car was to go to SeaWorld and the zoo. Valets were prompt and very courteous. Rooms were spacious and clean. Beds were comfortable. Eric, the manager was accommodating above what was expected. Only negatives were the very small pool and the air-conditioning, which was loud. Will definitely add this hotel to our list of top places to stay.

• Stayed March 2012
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Front desk and valet were AWESOME. Housekeeping was horrible. After complaining to the Manager, I felt like my issues were dismissed and unimportant to him. I stayed for 6 nights and the concept of "light" cleaning began making me feel dirty. I keep my house better than my room was kept by the cleaning staff. Paper that was obviously trash was left on the floor, my shower soap dispenser had a leak and the soap was never cleaned from the basin (safety hazard) and, I had to request wash clothes two of the six nights. I believe that the cleaners helped themselves to some of my almonds and cashews because the ziplock bags were not air tight like I left them. THE TOPPER: After the second complaint to front desk and the manager, the cleaning staff decided to THROW AWAY my CHIPS and an UNOPENED BOTTLE OF WATER. The service was definitely a disgrace to the Hilton name and brand.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Davyea
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had friends stay here over a long weekend recently, I was concerned when they initially told me the hotel as I have never heard of it. I went down town to check it out and WOW!!! was I surprised. This hotel was clean, modern, colorful, and the employees were fantastic. The rooms were funky and unique. The location downtown was also great and the price is right! Givve this new hotel a try...you'll be happy you did!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends