“Well It's Close to The Riverwalk Anyway”

Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #31 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 15 January 2014

First room assignment had a couple of guys with industrial vacuums looking at us like, "Why are you here?" But they quickly let us know this room was supposed to be "off-line" for a deep cleaning. A trip back down to the desk netted us another room on the same floor (6th). Try for higher digs since street noise may be an issue. Breakfast Buffet was not up to par at all for a Hilton Property. The elevators had beautiful pics of a variety of fresh fruit but the buffet had none. We had to go to the CVS Pharmacy across the street to get bananas for cereal. At least the location was central to all the attractions and maybe it was just an off day for breakfast but we would probably not go back.

Room Tip: Ask for "quiet" side, maybe north or west, to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim-Vicki D
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I apologize that there were carpet cleaners in your room when you arrived, this should have never happened. In addition to that, I understand that the breakfast was lacking in some areas but I can assure you we are working to resolve these issues to ensure a pleasant breakfast experience for all of our guests.

Again, thank you and I hope that despite these issues you will give us another try when you are back in San Antonio!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We like Hilton and even though Home2 Suties in San Antonio was comfortable, it will not be our first choice when we visit San Antonio next year. This hotel is very "green" which is great, but it is not as comfortable as other hotels we have stayed in at the Riverwalk. If we were here on business it would be good, but when on vacation, we want more comfort and surroundings that are more appealing. The room is comfortable, the view was not great, until the fireworks started on New Year's Eve, and then the view was perfect!
The breakfast is continental for sure, and if the hotel is full, the line of waiting is kind of long, as there is only one short service area. There unfortunately is no restaurant on site and there was not one to be recommended for delivery to the rooms...only option was to go out or use the "market" by the front desk.
One last criticism is that there seemed to be only one luggage cart for the entire hotel. We waited coming in and leaving for this cart, which we eventually gave up on both times and chose to lug our our own luggage, with help from the bell-hop. This really was the only part of staying here that made us a little crazy, because that makes the service level hurt some. The staff were all awesome, each one very nice and doing all they could to accommodate us. The location is definitely good for just about anything you are coming to do in San Antonio. We did not get the car out again until we checked out.
Overall, it was a nice stay, just not our personal choice for a vacation stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

We are happy to see that you noticed our green initiative. Being green and helping the environment is something that we see as a perfect opportunity to better our resources for the future.

I apologize that you didn't have a great view but I am glad to hear that the fireworks helped that!

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to service you in the future, Have a wonderful day and again, thank you.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

The room was small, crowded, jumbled - a suite in name only. Inadequate bedding, could not access desk with beds set up, no place to store luggage, cramped closet, could hardly walk between beds, no physical separation. Referring to the "living room" as such is a joke. Breakfast was true chaos - overcrowded space, logistical nightmare, often ran out of food items and milk, inadequate seating.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I apologize that you had a less than enjoyable experience and I assure you we are working towards creating a breakfast experience that is more enjoyable for all of our guests.

I thank you for sharing and I hope you have a pleasant day!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

If you want to be centrally located or near the river walk this hotel is in a great location. The rooms are very modern and have the basic amenities. Breakfast is generally good and there are plenty of options. The eating area is a bit small and it can be hard to find a seat on the weekends. You can park your own car, but it didn't really seem convenient to me. Valet is super easy to use; however, in the mornings and early evening you should give them plenty of time.....as least 30 minutes. The hotel is downtown and therefore is not in the most quiet area. I have a white noise machine I used to help drown out the traffic. The hotel has this "green" cleaning schedule. That would be OK if the staff cleaned the rooms well on the "true" cleaning day or in-between visitors. My bathroom and my co-workers bathrooms were not all that clean when we arrived.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

I apologize for the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom, I can assure you I will look into this to ensure it does not happen again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am glad that you enjoyed our location and the area.

I hope that in the future you will give us another opportunity to service you.

Have a wonderful day and again, thank you.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Home2 was very convenient to the Riverwalk and surrounding attractions. Brand new and staff was very helpful. The street noise was pretty loud and they had ear plugs available, but I never heard the traffic once I laid down.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton

Thank you so much for your positive review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and staff.,

I hope that when you are back in San Antonio you will choose us to be your home away from home.

Again, thank you!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

A wonderful place to stay with your pet. The hotel was extremely accommodating and the staff went out of their way to make the dog feel welcome. There is a park just a block away which allowed us to walk her without problems.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Home2 Suites by Hilton
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad that we were able to accommodate you and your pets while here in San Antonio!

Again, thank you. Have a wonderful day and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here twice in November for events at the Alamodome. We were very last-minute in booking a hotel so everything close to the Dome was full. We wound up here, and it's an excellent location for good restaurants and access to the Riverwalk. If you are in town for an event at the convention center or the Dome, you need to be aware that it's a pretty healthy walk to those venues. It's not impossible--my husband and I are in our early 60s and we managed just fine. One advantage of the walk is that you get a good look at some of downtown San Antonio The hotel has a very modern, cosmopolitan décor that's nicely done. Our check-in for both stays was effortless. The young lady who checked us in the second time was especially helpful and pleasant. The rooms are large since they are suites. The beds had absolutely the best mattresses I've slept on in any hotel. We didn't need to take advantage of the kitchens, but they were equipped with everything you would need to cook and serve a meal. The indoor pool is small, but very attractive with lights that change colors under the water. This was November and it was pretty chilly outside, but the water was nice and warm. We intended to have breakfast in their dining area on one morning, but it was noisy, crowded, messy, and cluttered. They seemed to be having trouble keeping up with clearing away dishes and cleaning tables. If you're staying here, take some time to read the literature in the room about their "green" policy. This was a plus for me. The rooms have recycling containers, and Hilton has used products made with recycled materials throughout the hotel. It's good to be aware that their green policy also means they don't do a full-scale clean-up in your room every day of your stay. I don't know if we were staying her at an off-peak time, but the room rate was very reasonable for a downtown hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. The first time we stayed here, our room overlooked an alley. When we che...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
gruiz1, General Manager at Home2 Suites by Hilton San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. It is very much appreciated. I can assure you I will revisit the set up in breakfast to ensure a more enjoyable experience for you and other future guests.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful city.

Thank you and have a wonderful day, we look forward to your next visit!