“Great value and friendly!”

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #114 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Great value and friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Wall were a little thin but the rooms were very comfortable. Great breakfast! Need to fix the pool heater and need more parking but other than that it was a great hotel! We would stay here again! Great value for your stay!

• Stayed March 2014
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel but I apologize the pool heater was not working. We were in the process of running new plumbing to the pool and the good news is that project has been completed and the pool feels great. Let me know when you are returning so I can get you a special rate due to the inconvenience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Hayden Lake, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

The lobby and public areas of this hotel are very nicely done and the location right on the river made it extremely easy to walk or take the water taxi to the cental riverwalk area. While I am always happy to stay at an older hotel with some character, it is unfortunate that the rooms had some real problems. The first room we were given had an incredibly acrid smell from some repairs they had done, the next room was much smaller, had a torn bedskirt, badly chipped woodwork and someone elses makeup peeking out from under the bed. The hallway of the third floor had the same debris in the corners and along the walls for the 3 days we were there. When we checked out, they were very nice about comping the parking since we had several problems, but they charged our friends the full room rate, rather than the rate we had gotten on line. They then credited the correction for him back to my credit card rather than his. Everyone was very pleasant through all this and really tried to be helpful but I spent too much time trying to get a decent room with the correct charge. The breakfast buffet was out of everything at 9AM and required several requests to get it replenished. Once that was done, they had a pretty good selection of things.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I picked this hotel based on a special deal, had I not had the deal, I would have been very disappointed. The first room they offered us was tiny, we could hardly get our luggage in however they quickly moved us to a better room. It is right on the riverwalk, some rooms have a river view, others a pool view, perhaps some a parking lot ? We were unimpressed by the look of breakfast so walked a few blocks to Lulu's, Highly recommend their breakfast. I think i was dreaming of a more of a theme. The music in lobby and elevators was indeed latino, there was an attractive array of art deco phones but that was where the theme appeared to end. All very dated, but not in a cool way. After walking around town for a while I got more disappointed. There are better looking aged theme hotels, there are many hotels on the riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

The room dirty house keeping did a bad job. The Bar Restaurant and coffee shop very bad. Did not have good selection, bar tender did not know how to make a drink food greasy. Coffee shop person could no multitask. River walk not what is advertised. Need to be downtown . Off beaten path. Much better hotels in town by real restaurant and bars. Not a friendly staff. Will not be back.

• Stayed March 2014
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I feel like I got a great deal for a 2 beds, breakfast and parking. It was a little bit of a walk to the main part of the Riverwalk but I didn't mind because this part of town was cleaner, quieter and safer. When I was ready to join the crowds, it was just a 15 minute walk, which was a great way to walk off all the great food I was eating. The retro decor was fun and bright. The staff was all really friendly and helpful. I would definitely return.

Meow meow meow meow meow!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Not in the bustling heart of the Riverwalk but close by, which was fine with me. An old hotel which has been updated. Bright colors, local artwork, huge but inviting lobby with a small bar and a little spot for coffee, pastries, sandwiches, etc. Great staff. I saw couples, families, and lots of kids who seemed to be there for some kind of dance/cheerleading thing. My room was small but immaculate, overlooking the river. Near the Majestic Theater, the convention center and the San Antonio Museum of Art. I will definitely be using this hotel again when visiting friends & family.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Catherinski
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

El Tropicano Riverwalk is adorable. Upon entering, I was surprised at the size of the lobby which has beautiful art and other retro decor all over. The hotel is a little older, but still in an ideal location. I love to walk when I'm on vacation, so I have no problem walking 10-20 minutes to get to restaurants and other attractions in the area. The Alamo being one of those many main attractions. The riverwalk is gorgeous. I also loved being able to snag a smoothie at the Expresso Bar to take to my room after walking all over. Yum! :-) Overall, I had a great experience in San Antonio and would stay at El Tropicano Riverwalk again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your comments and letting everyone know what a cool location this is, getting the best of both parts of the Riverwalk. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a future stay. Tim