“excellent service and location”

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #120 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
La Grange, Texas
“excellent service and location”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I have stayed here twice, once in January and again in April. Both times we were treated very well by staff. They were very helpful with information about the riverwalk, water taxis and trolleys. I love the throwback feel of the hotel in general. The location was perfect. We enjoyed a leisurely walk to the main riverwalk area and also used the water taxis. We used the trolley to get us to market square, the Alamo and other places and they picked us up and dropped us off right in front of the hotel. The convenience of parking our own vehicle and coming and going as we please was just what we needed. We felt very comfortable and will definitely stay there again. We have recommended the hotel to several friends. The turtle, bird, and goldfish are keepers, an added bonus to the stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beverly F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Tropicano at the end of March 2014. The hotel is at the end of the River Walk, so we had to walk a ways to find dinner. Fortunately, the weather was beautiful-in the summer it might be more challenging.

The hotel was clean and relatively quiet. However, in the middle of the night my husband and I were JOLTED out of our sleep. It took a moment to figure out that the painting above the bed....the large framed glass-covered print....had fallen off the wall in the night and landed on my husband's head and my face, cutting my eyebrow. When told the next morning, the manager said she didn't know why that would happen and seemed completely unconcerned. After my husband repeated what happened, in case she did not fully understand, she asked if we wanted a free breakfast. I think an apology, however insincere, my have been appreciated.

Book your stay at El Tropicano if you wish, but I suggest a helmet for safe sleeping. The free breakfast was not worth an injury.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
I sincerely apologize about your incident here at the hotel. Please contact me at timreed@eltropicanohotel.

Regards, Tim

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great location and great value! We originally booked this hotel for two nights. We decided to come a day early because the other hotel we were staying in was atrocious. The hotel staff was very friendly. There was a mix-up with our room our first night. The hotel staff sent up wine and chocolates to our room because of the mix-up. We asked if we could get a room with a balcony and they upgraded us at no additional charge. We ended up staying an extra night (4 nights total) because of how much we enjoyed this hotel. The only complaint we had of this hotel was the bathroom. Because it's an older hotel, the bathrooms are rather small and there is not much counter space. But other than that, this hotel was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy O
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Defenitely and 5 star hotel. Loved my stay next to the river walk. It was a great location on the river walk and loved the room. The pool was really nice, being outside on the second floor. The breakfast was very good and had a nice variety of American and Spanish food.

• Stayed April 2014
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and city and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Best Regards, Tim
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We were here 3/30 thru 4/2 2014. After looking at photos reviews and its location to the key area of San Antonio along the riverwalk this was perfect for us. Less than a mile walk to the key restaurant and shopping area a great way to get exercise on your way to sites and food and more. The hotel was great. Clean. Quiet. Big room with great modern character. In the lobby breakfast and snacks are available, and some interesting sites: birds, turtle... view of Riverwalk. Loved the old Vegas/Cuban feel of the retro 50s. Kept waiting for Sinatra to walk into the lobby or maybe the Rolling Stones who once stayed here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked 2 nights at this hotel for a stay in March of this year. We ended up finding a hotel closer to our other relatives that would also be in town so I cancelled my reservations 2 days prior to our stay...outside of their 24hr cancellation policy.

I now have two charges totaling close to $400 on my credit card for allegedly not cancelling my rooms even though I have the cancellation numbers and emails showing that I cancelled the rooms. They have NOT refunded the charges. I have just been getting the runaround from various people. How hard is it to simply refund incorrect charges!?

I would strongly urge others to look elsewhere as my limited involvement with this establishment has been nothing but miserable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt T
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
I apologize for the error we made in billing you although you had cancelled your reservation. My understanding is that it has been resolved and a credit has been issued. If for some reason this is not the case please contact me at timreed@eltropicanohotel .

Regards, Tim
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel is far from perfect and in need of some urgent upgrade even if we enjoyed our stay . Location is perfect and staff in hotel helpfull anf friendly .
We noticed many flaws in this hotel it all starts when entering the lobby . Realy not atractive this lobby you feel as if thrown back in time. The cheap ratan chairs next to the bar ( where bar tenders do not know how to mix cocktails ) and restaurant do surely not improve the feeling this lobby gives you . Restaurant just behind bar if it can be called a restaurant does not loock to be busy at all further more sandwiches presented in counter fridge seemed to have been there for some time already .
Out of two elevators one was out of order during the time we stayed so we needed to be patient while waiting for the one elevator thats was working and this in a hotel with 9 floors and many rooms .
Hall way to rooms realy poor , doors to rooms in very bad shape. Rooms are kind of ok not that bad compared to other parts of hotel . House keeping very slow as by 15 h when leaving our room @ 9 am , our room had still not been cleaned.
Swimming pool is fine but could also use some new loock , gym is ok.
Just an average hotel poorly designed at gives you the feeling you are staying in a highway motel all b it with some more options . Do not think wei would choose this hotel again even if the price we payd was not expensive but i know i can find better more modern hotels for the same price in san antonio.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. In regards to the building I do apologize that one of our elevators was down for a whole day, it was an inconvenience but an out of stock part was needed and it was back on line Friday morning. We also anticipate giving our hallways a fresh make over in the near future. As I always say, I put alot of stock in senior reviewers comments and appreciate yours. Regards, Tim