“Poor Customer Service, Hard Beds, TVs Not Intuitive”

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport North
Ranked #184 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Atlanta, Georgia
“Poor Customer Service, Hard Beds, TVs Not Intuitive”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I have written over 150 reviews on Trip Advisor; I hope you find my review helpful.

First, do NOT trust your I-phone's navigation to get you here...it thinks this hotel is across the highway.

To be honest, I am a regular Marriott customer, but chose this hotel trying to save a few bucks. There's a reason for the expression: "You get what you pay for..."

I pre-paid for 2 rooms on Hotwire.com for about $72 a night. I was traveling with my wife and 3 children. Upon arrival, I asked if one of my rooms could have a king-sized bed. I was told they were sold out of king rooms but they had a "king executive" available for a $40 upcharge per night. However, on their own website, the difference in price is $20. I think this is an unacceptable practice. The difference in price should be consistent with that is advertised.

The people working the front desk are not hospitable...I am not sure why they are in the hospitality industry. Nobody ever smiled nor greeted us on any occasion.

The beds were hard and uncomfortable.

The TVs have a weird programming, for example, CNN is "35.0". But if you just press in "35" you will get "35.1" which is an "infomercial channel". Took us several attempts to get CNN...just not intuitive.

The Coffee was watery.

The breakfast was ok...with sausages and eggs among the hot food available.

There is no local newspaper available...if you are here on the weekend, you are stuck with an old USA Today edition.

The bathroom fixtures are dated and the water pressure is poor.

Overall, since nobody at the front desk was nice or smiled, I wouldn't return just for that. Add in the fact their inconsistent policy on up-charges, I would never reward this hotel or its chain again.

Room Tip: Try a Marriott property instead
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank stevetanyaTexas
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport North, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear stevetanyaTexas,

Thank you for your review. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavor to improve the quality of our products and service.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations with regard to the room condition and for the poor customer care that you received. Further, I am truly sorry for the issues you had with our rates. We endeavor to meet all guests’ expectations at all times and regret that we failed on this instance.

We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class a world class experience. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards. Thank you again for your comments.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed here for work as it was close to my office in San Antonio. I was only there one night but was super impressed with the front desk staff. The woman who worked the night of June 5th AND was also working the morning of June 6th was so nice and friendly. The room was nice, the bed was comfy and the room was clean. The breakfast was included and was very good! The hotel is close to many places to eat and is convenient to highway 281. My only complaint was that the Constant Fan option on the AC unit in my room I guess was broken because it wouldn't work. The AC worked but without the constant fan option the AC would turn on and off and as a light sleeper it would wake me up. I will be visiting our San Antonio office often and will request that my corporate office book me here anytime I need to be in San Antonio.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Bowie, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed at the hotel for the state bowling tournament. Arrived late and was impressed with the well lit parking lot and number of parking slots. Reserved the king executive room. Nice size room with a comfortable bed.The shower had a lot of water pressure. The breakfast was adequate, but nothing special. When in San Antonio I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 February 2013

When on a business trip can usually never go wrong with a Holiday Inn Express. The same goes for this location. The only downside is the location along HWY 281. The traffic in the morning is terrible and it's a pain to have to drive a mile down the road to get to something directly across the street from the hotel. Otherwise the staff and rooms were just fine. No complaints.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport North, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear GlenJMart,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the inconvenience our location may have caused you. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We booked our hotel stay more than a week in advance so we were able to get a pretty good rate online that was nonrefundable. The confirmation email you get has an address that when plugged into google maps puts you much farther north than where this hotel actually is so we spent about 15 minutes trying to find it before we finally called and asked for directions. When I was checking in, the front desk staff noted that they have two addresses and that this happens frequently (in fact, someone called asking for directions while we were checking in). It is on a dead end road, but don't be fooled, it is butt up against the highway which was a little disappointing. The room was average, there was a hole that they had repaired in the bathroom but didn't repaint and the paint was chipping on the door. My biggest complaint about this hotel is that we heard EVERYTHING. When people walked out in the hallway we heard them, when our neighbor ran his shower we heard it, we heard the people walking above us, etc. This resulted in a restless nights sleep. Breakfast was really crowded in the morning and really didn't have the space nor food to accommodate everyone. There is a regular Holiday Inn a few more miles up the road that is more offset from the highway that I think we will try next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway and on the top floor, otherwise you'll hear everything abov...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Taylor, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2012

From the beginning the staff at the front desk who answered my call requesting directions, were rude. Saying that the GPS directions and the address provided were different, as if I should have known that! Our stay was subpar at best with tons of small issues like no shampoo, light bulbs burnt out, not enough towels, dust on lamps etc… By the late evening we discovered ants crawling on the night stand and that the refrigerator was not cooling anything. We called the front desk several times and were unable to get a hold of anyone. Finally someone promised to come up to the room and resolve the refrigerator issue, however no one ever came. We chose the hotel for the pool, which was nice, and the airport shuttle which was not available because it was the weekend (this was not stated anywhere on the site we used to book nor was it in the confirmation email as they claimed when we checked in).
My main disappointment and the reason for this negative review, is that despite some of the nice things, like allowing us to check in 15 minutes early and late checkout, no one apologized for anything. They acted as if by asking for simple items, things that should have been provided and were expected, we were asking too much. When I asked to speak with a manager or an assistant no one was available and the receptionist didn’t apologize for the inconveniences we had experienced.
The staff needs lessons in customer service. I never asked for anything extra and did not want anything more than someone to say, in a polite tone, “Oh sorry, let us fix that for you.”

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank apwold
IHGCare, IHG Care at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Airport North, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear apwold,

Thank you for the candid review of our property. I am pleased that you were able to check in earlier and were granted late check out as well. However, I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. Rest assured that your comments about the bathroom amenities and the light bulbs have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A.
MÉXICO
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed only one night but definitely we want to return to this beautiful hotel.
First it is not over the avenue , you have to drive through an alley so the rooms are very quiet.
We were welcome by a very friendly girl at front desk. The hotel looks very new and smells so clean. We had room 210 and was really clean, the furniture is minimalist, very nice and spacious.
With mini fridge and micro. The breakfast was ok, the same at all HIE, but it had what you need to start your day.
It´s like 5 mins from the airport by car
Really want to go back in my next stay in San Antonio

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple