“Never Stay Here”

Staybridge Suites San Antonio - Airport
Ranked #98 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Date : 29th May 2011 to 11th June 2011.
I was traveling around the US with my family on business and holiday and I booked this hotel looking at the website and was near the airport, but this was my biggest mistake to do. The hotel staff expect for one front desk lady never cares for the guests. They never even smile to you. They had the breakfast and sundown dinner and they serve us as we are just a pack of beggars.

They had the construction going on and they never mentioned this when we booked the hotel, They had days when the laundry never used to work and we had to go to a different hotel with all our laundry to have it completed. I and never will I allow anyone from our company to stay here anymore. Also they say they have shuttle, but it is never there when you want it and trust me, please do not stay here unless you want ot see what a bad service is like.

Room Tip: Never Stay Here
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Srileshr

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Stayed here for a week while visiting family in San Antonio. The hotel is more like apartments with a separate bedroom, living room with pull out sofa, kitchenette with stove, microwave and full sized fridge. The place was extremely well kept and everything was very clean, especially the common areas, which was tough considering there were many families with children. There is free breakfast, which was really very good. My only complaint was that due to the families with kids, table space was extremely limited. There are 2 waffle makers available (making waffles looking like the state of Texas), but these were constantly in use by people making half a dozen waffles to take up to their rooms, which made breakfast slow. Aside from that, there was good variety, and the coffee was good. The staff was some of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever run into in any hotel I have ever stayed. No question was too dumb, and no request too burdensome. They could not have been any better than they were, and this includes everyone I ran into, from the desk staff to the dining area staff to the cleaning and maintenance staff. Everyone always greeted me, and was always cheerful. This added to the pleasure of the stay. I would highly recommend this place, and it would be my first choice upon returning to San Antonio again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank thegormandizer
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Let me begin by saying that I work in the hospitality industry in Orlando, FL, so I don't like leaving bad reviews - I know from experience that mistakes happen, and I am generally very accommodating. However, my recent stay in the Staybridge Suites near the San Antonio Airport ventures into the bizarre. The sheer thoroughness of the disaster I have experienced among the customer service staff, combined with years of management in the industry, lead me to the conclusion that there is a very serious management problem in this establishment. The two stars I am rating this hotel are for the building itself - a unique and charming structure with white brick walls inside with clean and comfortable furniture and rooms (there is also secure parking, requiring a room key to pass in or out, which I appreciate). The second star is for the housekeeping staff, who are very friendly and competent.

I first checked in on Friday evening. I am sorry I don't remember the name of the front desk attendant, because while she was clearly overtaxed by the line of 4 people checking in and the constant ringing of the phone, she was quite efficient and professional. I mention the experience only because I was surprised that there was no one around to help either with the guests at the desk or on the phones on a night when the hotel was near capacity. (The person in front of me in line asked if there were rooms available, and she said she would have to look after she checked me in.)

I was checked in, and arrived at my room - very nice, as I said above. The next day I went downstairs to do laundry, a free service Staybridge offers it's guests. Two machines were out of order, but still three washers and three dryers were available, however the lint screens in the dryers appeared never to have been cleaned. There was a half inch of buildup on the screen in two machines, with substantial lint caught behind the screen in the machine. Due to the popularity of the hotel and it's laundry service, it was quite busy and it took a while for me to get all my loads finished. I mention this only because one of the front elevators appeared to be out of service, and the wait for the remaining lift sometimes stretched more than two minutes.

On our second night, we decided to see if we could extend our stay by an extra night, so I tried the front desk around 9 pm. There was no answer after a few dozen rings, so I pressed the reservations button, which connected me to a call center. The receptionist was friendly, but did not seem to understand what I was asking, and I eventually offered to try the front desk later. She supported this idea, and I hung up. I tried the front desk again, and waited on hold for over 3 minutes before giving up and watching a movie. I called back at the end of the night and was told I would have to speak to a manager in the morning.

In the morning, I called downstairs and asked if I could stay an extra night. After a fair bit of verbal fumbling, I gathered that I could be moved, and was asked when I would be able to move. I offered 11:00, check out time, and was told that would work fine. I said I would be down then to get a new key. At 11:00 I showed up at the front desk to find an unattended 5 year old, who went into the back. I heard conversation between the child and an adult, and after a few moments an attendant appeared. I explained that I was there to change rooms, and she seemed surprised. While she tied a balloon to a pen for the child, she called housekeeping to ask if my new room was ready. It was not. She said she would call me when it was ready, and I returned to my room.

An hour later, housekeeping knocked on my door and asked if I was checking out. I explained that I was to move to another room, but I was waiting for it to be ready. She left and I called the front desk, and was greeted by the wail of the aforementioned five year old. I reminded the attendant that I was waiting for a new room, and explained that housekeeping did not seem aware of my move.

I eventually was called back after 2pm, so I went downstairs to collect my key. The attendant, still preoccupied with the child, did not remember me from earlier. I reminded her that she had just called me, and she handed me a single key and told me I would be in room 905. She asked how much longer I would be staying, and I said just one night, to which she seemed surprised. She informed me that there was a conference room adjoining my new room, but that only I would have access to it. I had no complaints, and took a trolley upstairs to move my luggage.

The new room was perfectly nice, included a large balcony (too hot to enjoy it, unfortunately), and did, in fact, adjoin a conference room. There was strangely only 1 spoon in the kitchen, but otherwise the room is nice. I sat down to work, but within a half an hour the fire alarm in the building went off. My partner and I exited via 9 flights of stairs, and took a trip to the grocery store. By the time we returned the alarm had been disarmed, and there seemed to be no problems.

Unfortunately, a toddler and his father decided that they should play with a ball up and down the hallway for several hours in the afternoon, and the doors are rather thin to the hall, but I understand it is a family friendly environment, and I tried to just be amused.

However, at around 4:30, someone opened our door with a key - a teenager with luggage. The chain was on the door, and when I opened it to see what he wanted, he told me to hang on and answered his phone. I closed the door and called the front desk to inform them that someone had just opened my door. She said it was probably the manager, who had been asking about that room. I explained that it was a youth with luggage, and she told me she hadn't booked anyone else into the room. I hung up, and the teenager was gone from the door.

Just after 5 pm, housekeeping knocks on the door - they need to leave towels. I had not noticed, but it seems there had been no towels in the room. One housekeeper heads to the bathroom, and the other stands in the open doorway. After several minutes, the woman in the doorway says 'hurry up ladies", and the second woman finally emerges from the bathroom, where she had been stacking the towels on the back of the toilet as there is no rack in this bathroom.

At ten minutes to midnight, while watching a movie, someone tried to open the door with a key. Thankfully, the door is locked and bolted. They keep trying. I eventually open the door, and they have a key to the room and a check in envelope with my room number written on it. They leave and I call the front desk, where the attendant is shocked to hear that someone is in the room. I explain that I moved earlier from a different room, and it is explained that it wasn't put in the system, and hang up.

5 seconds later, the phone rings. "Hi, what room were you in?" "703" Ok. Thanks. Click.
Another 5 seconds, and the phone rings again. "Hi. I'm sorry, it's me again." He proceeds to ask my name (after guessing incorrectly), and says again that I'm not in the system. Annoyed, I try to explain that the person who transferred me was too busy playing with a 5 year old to handle the complications of my transferring rooms, but it falls on deaf ears. I try to point out that I am a frequent customer by saying that I am a Priority Club Member with nearly a quarter of a million points, but the attendant just wanted to know if I was paying with points.

Lastly, when I checked out the next morning and asked for a receipt of my charges to check the rate on the room, I was informed that they were waiting on IT and I could have it in an hour or so. I told the General Manager that I wanted to confirm my rate, and after a lot of flipping through papers, he told me he couldn't confirm it, but that I could wait an hour. I mentioned that someone had been given a key to my room twice the day before, but he didn't even look up from the papers to bat an eyelash.

Even with all the above SNAFUs, the most irritating thing I experienced in my three night stay was the internet. It's free, and it works, but you have to sign in fresh every time you open your computer, and more frustratingly, every time you open a new app on your phone. I eventually just shut off the wifi on my phone.

I sincerely hope that this review finds its way to the right people, and that action is taken to bring this hotel up to the standard I have experienced in Staybridge Hotels across the country, and that the level of customer service can rise to meet the really lovely standard the building sets.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Milkersen
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Some frustrating limitations for those of us staying for an extended period. Newly remodeled facility still has inadequate parking, only 1 functioning elevator and the laundry facility has a broken washer making it difficult to access the other 2 which are constantly in use. Garbage truck sometimes come very early and makes too much noise emptying dumpsters. Some pluses include free shuttle to the airport and a friendly staff that do what they can for the most part.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tang0whiskey
Reviewed 28 July 2011

A friend & I stayed there the night before taking an Amtrak trip. In spite of being near the RR tracks, it was very quiet. Great room, very clean. Unfortunatly we left too early to enjoy their from what we had heard a wonderful breakfast. We walked to the River Walk. I would stay here again even if not taking a train trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank gramieatthebeach
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The hotel was immaculate. There were quite a few dogs of all sizes staying here, but I could not tell. The rooms were big, with full kitchens and clean carpets, no smells of other dogs. We enjoyed the outside pool and all of the green space next door to this property to walk my dog. Gilbert, the manager was very helpful and accommodating. My only critique would be the scrambled eggs and meats were nasty, otherwise the breakfast buffet was grand. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Late May 2011. Hotel employees all helplful 24/7, and the late night desk staffer was excellent. Rooms super clean and the good design of Staybridge suites makes for livable stay.. Hot breakfast options include that silly, cute & inescapable TX feature of waffle irons in the shape of the state. Two waffle irons make it possible for both families and adult travelers to get their breakfast without long waits. Other options include yogurts, cereal, hot meat and egg dishes, juices and so on. Staff keeps area tidy even with active children getting items off buffet.

Be aware late spring/early summer construction; not sure how long it will last; seems like higher floors being renovated. Friendly signs around the property try to put a good spin on the construction. Still, no notice of this on website. Rear elevator of property not available to guests during the day and when used in evenings found lined with plywood for convenience of construction workers daytime tasks. Drilling and hammering sounds start up 8-9 a.m. weekdays but not too loud. ymmv

Finding hotel can be tricky: On a frontage road of loop 410, Staybridge sign much smaller than the Texas Land and Cattle Restaurant that actually fronts the building,
while hotel entrance at the side. A bit of check-in parking, but larger parking lot has entry with room key.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple