“Great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

We usually stay in La Quintas because they are pet friendly, and we like to travel with our dog. We have stayed in several here in San Antonio, and this one is our favorite so far.

We received exactly what we requested when making our reservation: King bed, ground floor, non-smoking. The room was clean and spacious, and the a/c works great.

I do not understand the complaints here about the wi-fi. We were able to hook up to it immediately without any troubles. The connection was fast, and we were able to quickly look up movie times and restaurant recommendations. In fact, I am submitting this review from our room at La Quinta (#107, in case anyone is interested). When we first logged on, there were at least three connections to choose from, and I chose the most powerful one. Maybe other areas of the hotel do not receive as strong a signal as this room does, but again, the wi-fi connection is strong and quick in here.

The area in the back of the hotel, outside the pool area, is grassy and has a few trees. If you travel with a dog, they will love it (just please pick up after them!).

We are very pleased with the accomodations here and will probably return to this property again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank greekgirl64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

We had never stayed at a LaQuinta before and were so pleasantly surprised. The check in was friendly and fast. We requested a bottom floor room and they happily complied. The rate we paid was downright cheap. The room was clean, the beds relatively comfortable and the extra sitting room portion was so nice to have while traveling with a toddler. The streetcar to the Alamo and Riverwalk is 1/2 block away and our son loved riding it back and for the to the hotel. We didn't pay for parking at the hotel, that was included which is rare in downtown San Antonio. The continental breakfast was lovely. Hot waffles in the shape of Texas (so cute for the kid), fresh fruit, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, juice, coffee, all kinds of pastries/muffins. You can't go wrong with this La Quinta.

• Liked — Friendly and accomodating staff
  • Disliked — Beds can always be nicer
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank charlie54933
Houston, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

My mom, 9 year old daughter, and I went to San Antonio for a girls
weekend and stayed at this hotel the nights of August 15th and 16th. I booked this hotel on Hotwire for $102 a night. The hotel is
an “all suite” hotel which basically means you get a little more
room then you would in an average hotel room plus a small sofa, coffee table, an extra chair, and a separate bar area where the microwave and fridge are located at (as opposed to the microwave being stacked on top of the fridge like it would be at a regular hotel.) The sofa was supposed to be a pull out sleeper sofa but we didn’t bother to ever pull it out. The sofa itself didn’t look very big so Im assuming it would only comfortably sleep children. The room was clean though and the a/c was cold and there was plenty of hot water and great water pressure.

The hotel staff was very polite and willing to accommodate
us. Hotwire stuck us in a room with 1 king bed and that just wasn’t going to work for myself, my mom, and my daughter. I went downstairs and told the guy at the front desk and he said that was the room that Hotwire had put us in and that the sofa pulled out and made into a bed. I told him that I didn’t want to jack with a pull out sofa and that we needed 2 queen beds. He said that it would cost extra and I said fine and he said I would have to call Hotwire about getting the room changed and I said ok and then he offered to see what he had available and went
ahead and put us in a different room with 2 queen size beds for no extra charge without me having to get Hotwire involved.

Now for the negatives. The hotel did offer free parking but that was only for 1 vehicle per room. Had we showed up in separate cars I have no idea how they would have handled that. Im assuming they would have let us park both vehicles there and just charge for the 2nd one but if you are planning to bring more than one vehicle I would call the hotel ahead of time and see what their policy is.

Ive read through some of the other reviews and people have said this hotel is within walking distance of the Riverwalk and Alamo etc… If you wanted to get to the end of the Riverwalk that the Watermark Hotel is on you would have to walk about 8 blocks and to get to the end of the Rivewalk with the Alamo and the Rivercenter mall you would have to walk about 11 blocks. That’s not very far to walk but I personally didn’t fell safe walking that far after dark in San Antonio away from crowded touristy areas (and you would have had to walk through some dark uncrowded areas on your way to and from the hotel) so we just drove
wherever we wanted to go. The front desk said there was a trolley stop right out front of the hotel but all I ever saw at the stop were city buses.

The hotel does not claim to have free wifi but I was under the
impression that most La Quintas now do. They do claim to offer free high speed internet and they do have a business center with 1 computer but every time I walked past it there were people waiting to use it so good luck with that if you need the internet and dont bring your laptop. When we first checked in I asked the front desk clerk about the free wifi and he said it was an open connection and when I got to my room and connected to the free wifi the La Quinta homepage came up so Im assuming
that the hotel does offer free wifi or their homepage would not have come up. The connection was awful though and it either took forever for pages to load or they wouldn’t load at all
so it made planning things to do next to impossible.

My biggest problem with this hotel was the free breakfast. There were only 2 waffle makers. This hotel seems to draw large groups of people who have many children (3+ seemed to be the norm) who enjoy traveling with large groups of extended family (grandma, grandpa, great-grandma, uncle, auntie, etc…) What people were doing was sending 1 person from the group to make waffles for the entire group. That may not seem like a
big deal but it takes 3 minutes to make a waffle and when you are making waffles for 10 people that really adds up. This hotel either needs to get more waffle irons or impose a 2 waffle limit per turn per person. That would force people to go to the end of the line and let others move through the line or it would force more people to physically stand in line which would give other guests a better visual indication of how long the wait time would be. When we went down the first morning there was only 1 person in front of us so we didn’t expect to stand in line for a waffle for 30 minutes.

It was very difficult to get to the exit for this hotel from I-35. We ended up getting to San Antonio just as evening rush hour was hitting and it was almost impossible to make the exit for this hotel. Since Im not familiar with the area I missed the Durango exit the first time and when I came back down I-35 from the opposite direction the exit was just as bad from that side of the freeway.

• Liked — The staff was very nice.
  • Disliked — The breakfast situation.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

We just returned from our trip to San Antonio to visit my husband at the Fort Sam Houston Army Base. (Which the hotel was only a quick 10 mins from the base just off I-35.) Our stay at the LQ downtown was excellent. The rooms were very spacious, we had a 2 bed suite with a sleeper sofa which came in handy for our family of 7. The beds were very comfortable and even the sofa was too. The rooms were clean along with the bathrooms and they had upgraded towels and linens which were nice. The room did not seem crowded and was very comfortable. Plus having the convenience of a refrigerator and microwave came in handy with the kids. The free breakfast was good with the make your own waffles (in the shape of Texas) which were hits with the kids. They also had normal fare (yogurt, cereal, toast, and fresh fruits). It was not crowded at breakfast time either so you could get what you needed and sit down to enjoy. The only time we would have to wait was for the waffle machine but it was worth it! The location of the hotel was very nice also because we were close enough to the RW & Market Square that it was either a quick walk or trolley ride and plus the hotel parking was free so we were able to spend the money we would of used for parking at the closer hotels on sight seeing, etc! The hotel had a nice sized pool and hot tub but I did notice that the pool was very murky, like the pump was not cleaning properly or something. It did not matter to the kids because they still enjoyed it but there was a couple of times that they got out and had a gob of hair on them that did not belong to them. So that was a little concerning. We still had a great stay for the 4 days we were there and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Its cleanliness, location, spacious rooms, friendly staff, free parking & breakfast
  • Disliked — The pool was great but wished it was a little cleaner
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

I picked this hotel because of its closeness to Riverwalk.We were there fof Final Four and found transportation very easy to Riverwalk.Trolley stop less than 1 block away for $1 gets yoy right to Riverwalk Staff was friendly and helpful,free breakfast standard bagels and muffins etc.Rooms were spacious enough for 3 people easily.and ours was clean.Would stay here again although somewhat overpriced but that is expected for major events like Final Four.Tip Millers Restaurant across street an average meal although it was cheap.Spend the extra money and go to one of the many fine places along Riverwalk.I would also recommend Howl At The Moon for a fun night out.

• Liked — closeness to Riverwalk
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
St. Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

My wife and I are currently staying at the downtown San Antonio La Quinta on a visit to watch the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four. The hotel is clean and in an excellent location (within walking distance of the River Walk, Alamo, and Alamo Dome); however, my ability to work while here has been noexistant because of the hotel's virtual lack of Internet service (I am writing this review on my Blackberry.) So, if you are like me & think of internet as an amenity so standard that it should not even have to be advertised (e.g. air conditioning or cable tv), this is not your spot. The hotel claims to have internet available in its rooms via ethernet, but the cord in my did not work & others with whom I am traveling had the same experience. Likewise, the purported wireless internet in the hotel lobby was too slow to bring up a single webpage. For some, this will not matter, but for me it is crucial.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

I chose this hotel based on it's proximity to where my training was located, as well as the free parking.
Loved how easy it was to get on/off I-35 and still within walking distance of the Riverwalk and Market Square.
Stayed 4 nights in a room with two queen beds.
While I didn't consider the rooms dirty, they could have been cleaner. There was a stain on the very thin blanket, the comforters were dingy and the bathroom floor wasn't very clean.
The beds were poorly made and not particularly comfortable.
However, breakfast was standard continental with toast, bagels, waffles, cereal, yogurt etc and was more than adequate.
The reason I rated this hotel higher is the great location, free parking, condition and size of the room and friendliness of all the staff.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business