“Great hotel for price, location, comfort”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown
Ranked #48 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Large hotel room/suite, very comfortable beds. Great location, can walk to El Mercado, River Walk, King William area, etc., or can take trolley that runs out front of hotel. Only very minor complaint would be the cold hot tub, not warm enough to use in October.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTColorado

Reviewed 19 October 2009

Very nice suite. Definitely would book in the future. Breakfast was good.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Just moved to Houston and my wife and I decided we needed to venture out into Texas to see what this state is all about. Since we only had a weekend we decided to venture off to San Antonio for the weekend and take our pup along. Since we were taking her along it basically came down to La Quinta or Drury. The La Quinta has a better price and since they are 99% clean, safe, reliable (from our experience) we went with them. The property is nice and clean like most LaQuintas we have been too, but keep in mind it is not close to the major attractions like the River Walk or The Alamo so plan on a car or taking the trolley system. For an Idea I would say maybe a 5 minute drive to the The Alamo. At check in the employee working at the desk was friendly, quick and efficient. The rooms are clean, but not the new renovated ones. I would say that the A/C system is the old style that freezes the person on one side of the bed, but other than that it was comfortable and the bed was cozy. As with all LaQuintas breakfast is included! The first morning we enjoyed the Texas shaped waffles, some muffins, etc. I would say overall the selection seemed smaller than other LaQuintas we have been to. The second morning we walked out too view a line maybe 8 deep at the waffles and decided not to deal with that so we walked to the river walk. I guess in hindsight we would say they need a few more waffle machines to support the number of guests. Checkout was similar to check in, quick and painless. Overall our LaQuinta experience was great and our dog loved it too. If you want to spend a little time in San Antonio and don't require to be in the middle of it all I would say this is place.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

After the bellman took my luggage from the cab, I noticed the palm trees! The lobby is tastefully decorated, and in spite of being very close to the freeway, I never heard any noise from the street in any part of the hotel. The full breakfast that is included was very good with a very nice variety of breakfast foods. They even had tortillas! I live in NW Indiana, so my delight at seeing palm trees in October should be understandable. My only very minor disappointments were that the towels were scratchy and the Margaritas in the bar were not very good.
The location is great! The Riverwalk, La Villita, the Alamo are all withing a short walk.
If I am every lucky enough to return to San Antonio, I will definitely stay at this hotel.
It was like being in Mexico and the US at the same time!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This hotel is a great place to stay! It is located in the middle of everything. The River Center Mall is right across the street, the River Walk was 2 blocks away and the Alamo was 4 blocks away, we were able to walk to everything.
We had stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed!!
We had complimentary breakfast every morning at the hotel to start our day, spent the days seeing the sights and enjoyed some great restaurants on the River Walk in the evening.
If you get the chance take one of the evening boat rides on the river, the sights were fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank RJ_from_PA
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We saved some serious cash on this hotel by booking directly through La Quinta's site and requesting the AAA discount. Our rooms, a King and a double Queen, were large and comfortable. Each room even had its own mini-fridge, which was convenient. Each night was peaceful and quiet, which was great.

The breakfast was very good. Offered are: Texas shaped waffles, fresh bananas and apples, bagels, boiled eggs, cinnamon raisin bread, wheat bread, white bread, three kinds of muffins, cereal and milk, butters, syrups, jellies, cream cheese, coffees, teas and hot chocolates. Items were plentiful and refilled often. We never had a problem getting any item, even though one morning we awoke to a school bus full of children (no joke) enjoying breakfast in the dining room.

The hotel itself was nice, which was a surprise based on some of the earlier reviews. The location is convenient, however, I would NOT walk to the Riverwalk or Market Square area from this hotel at night. It sits on an outlaying area of the downtown/Riverwalk area and can feel a touch sketchy. (One morning the cops were attending to a couple of young ladies who had their car window broken out and some items stolen out of their car. Lesson learned? Do not leave items of value in your rental car, much less in plain sight, no matter where you are.) However, we never had a problem.

There is no parking fee and the breakfast is included with the room, two amenities that were hard to find with other area hotels, especially around the Riverwalk.

The only cons to the hotel that we saw were: a somewhat sketchy feel to the area, the elevators are painfully slow, and we wished there were nightlights in the bathrooms. (When its three a.m., you don't want to turn on those insanely bright lights in an all white bathroom... painful!)

Overall, a good stay especially if you are mainly interested in the Riverwalk / Alamo / Market Square / downtown area. (Six Flags Fiesta Texas was about a 40 minute drive from this hotel. Also, if you love ice cream, you must try Brindle's Awesome Ice Creams. (11255 Huebner Rd). It is a "mom and pop" store and the ice cream is unbelievable. We made the 20 minute drive out there twice in three days.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2009

My husband and I with our 2 girls recently visited Sea World @ San Antonio. We had a great time there if I might add. We stayed 5 days and 4 nights at LaQuinta Downtown. It was about a mile or so to the riverwalk as advertised. It was less than 20 miles from seaworld. We were fortunate to be very , close to a trolley stop. After the first trolley trip I realized that it cost about the same as driving our car and parking but without the convenience. We requested non smoking and to not be on the pool side as we normally do. The stay was about average. The rooms were larger than average but nothing fancy , needed some updating . The beds seemed to be full sized and not queen .The breakfast got boring quick since it was mostly continental with usually a line for waffles. I have stayed at Drury in the past and I guess the scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage with waffles have increased my expectation for a free breakfast. menu. The only complaint is that the elevator took forever! Most times we ended up taking the stairs. For the most part the hotel was very quiet. Free Parking was a definite plus for downtown ! The pool was nice. The Lobby had a big screen tv that was clearly in need of disposal due to the poor picture quality.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family