“Don't book "The Great Getaway!" Will not return!”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #77 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Emory, Texas
“Don't book "The Great Getaway!" Will not return!”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I booked The Great Getaway which is a King Suite with breakfast included. When I asked about breakfast, the representative at the front desk said that breakfast wasn't included in my stay. I booked this directed through the hotel, and specifically asked if breakfast was included, and I was assured that it was. I was told that I could print off my confirmation in the business center to show that my stay included breakfast. The printer in the business center never worked. Another family was in the business center trying to print their confirmation to prove that The Great Getaway included breakfast. They had no luck either.
Also, the main pool was completely drained and closed the first day of our stay. There was no movie, and the pool bar was never open that I saw!
Each time I passed the front desk, I saw another guest there complaining of something! I will never return to this hotel!

Room Tip: The King Suite was a small, but nice room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wgt_11
HiltonSanAntonio, Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our property. I really appreciate the feedback you have given me and I will personally be going through each detail with my Management staff to make sure we do whatever we can to fix it. We are constantly upgrading all aspects of our hotel and I hope that you might try us out again in the future.
Kind Regards-Erika

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2011

1. Called before we got there and no one answered the phone. In fact, I'm on hold right now trying to get the bill corrected so that I can turn it in for reimbursement. I've been on hold 5 minute already.
2. Rooms are very small for this "resort".
3. Pool was not functional while we were there. I didn't need it, but the lap pool was full of little kids because the regular pool was empty.
4. The place is dirty! In the mornings, the elevators dirty. The floors were a mess. I understand the place is full of little kids because of Sea World, but there should be some housekeeping in the common areas, too.
5. The meeting room wasn't ready (as in they were setting up tables and chairs at 9 am) for a meeting that started at 9 am.
6. The restaurant is a joke. There was very little food left at 10 am for the buffet that wasn't over until 11:00. When we went back for lunch, there was still a huge mess from breakfast. And we were the only two people there for lunch, and it still took over 30 minutes to get a salad and a sandwich. Even the waitstaff said the restaurant was horrible and it was a bad place to work.
7. The ice machine on the fourth floor didn't work while we were there. When we asked the staff about it, they said it had been on the fritz "for weeks".

It's unfortunate that such potential is being so poorly managed. It's a nice building in a good location. It could be great with the right management, enough staff, and enough oversight. Right now, it's not worth the expense.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nunya_11
Thank you for your recent review. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We apologize that you were unhappy with your stay. Your issues are being addressed with our Management Team and Staff. Thank you again for your review.
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Noisy with kids and barking dogs, poor service, out of food at the breakfast buffet, slow elevators. About the only plus is that it is close to Sea World - but so are other places that are much nicer - or cheaper! With few exceptions, the staff was unhelpful or downright rude. They didn't completely restock our room with towels and when we asked for more, were told they were all dirty and none were available. We overheard the staff say they were out of laundry soap. The ice machine on our floor was empty. Overall, I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DalTexTraveler
HiltonSanAntonio, Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We apologize that your stay was disappointing to you. Due to out close proximity to SeaWorld, we expect many families traveliing with their children and family pets over the summer. I have shared your comments with the Management Staff and the matter is being addressed. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Kind Regards-
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We arrived at 2:30 pm. Check in time given by priceline was 3 pm. They made us wait until 4 pm for check in. They told us priceline did not know check in time, but in a hostile way. In no moments they try any courtesy. The pool is very little. No towels at the pool, the washer and drier were not working. It took them more than two hours to bring the luggage to our room. We had to go in person to the front desk , and ask for our luggage . They did not try to apologize, or made any effort to assist us in an effective way. At the next day, we realize we did not have a single towel in the room. People in the front desk very rude.
This is not a Hilton like hotel. It was even better 4 years ago when it use to be a ramada in. I will not recommend or ever go back to this hotel. Better to stay in the competence, courtyard Marriott .

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Livania
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I have shared your comments with our Management Staff and the issues are being addressed. We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you
Elk City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed here 5 nights this past week. Our room was never cleaned! They do make your bed daily but that's it! The didn't vacuum. They didn't wipe down anything! TOWELS! What towels? Housekeeping left us a not 4 of the 5 days we were there saying they were out of towels and to call the front desk! WTH? Really?!?! One out of 5 nights there were towels at the pool. So my recommendation is if you are going to stay here, take your own towels!
The check-in staff was rude! The maintenance men were extremely nice and helpful!
I will not be staying here again! I was not impressed! Several people I spoke to nightly by the pool said the same thing, "We won't be back!"
Last year we stayed at the Marriott! It is awesome! The only reason we didn't stay there again is because the were booked!

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Darlingkristi
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We apologize for the lack of service that you received at the front desk and housekeeping. I have shared your comments with our managment staff, and concerns are being addressed. This is certainly not typical at our hotel and it will be addressed. We hope to see you again the next time you are in San Antonio. Thank you again.
Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We spent two nights (a Friday and Saturday) at the Hilton Hill Country in late June 2011. We have three children; ages 9, 2 and 4 months. We had a suite, number 430, and our overall experience was very good.
We checked in on Friday evening around 7:45 p.m. This is one area where they could definitely use some improvement. I waited in a very long line. They did have every computer manned with an employee, and Aubrey was very friendly and helpful when I finally got to her, but this process took entirely too long. (When you’re tired from traveling and you have cranky kids, the last thing you want to do is stand in line in a hotel lobby.)
Our room was very nice. King bed – the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve slept on – and nice water pressure with plenty of hot water in both the walk-in shower and the jetted tub. I did notice that the hot water in the sinks did not appear to work, but it wasn’t a necessity for us so I didn’t call about it. Plenty of luxurious towels in the bathroom. Flat screen tv in both the bedroom and the living area. These two rooms are separated by a double door. One thing that my entire family noticed is how quiet and well insulated the rooms are. We never heard a sound from any of the other guests – no doors slamming, no traffic in the hall, etc. It was very, very quiet. We all slept very well. Room came with a mini frig, but no microwave. That would have been a nice feature for us to heat our baby’s bottles.
The free shuttle to Sea World is SO nice. It begins running at 9:30 a.m. (or thirty minutes before Sea World opens) and they take you right up to the front gates. No walking a mile across the parking lot; no paying $16/day in parking. They will also pick you back up from the front gates – the shuttle picks up on the hour. The drivers are all super friendly and very informative. They provide a lot of information about the local area and will also give you some “fun facts” about Sea World. You get to bypass a lot of the car traffic waiting to get in the Sea World parking lot as well.
We spent some time in the pool areas one evening. I agree with several other posts on here – the pool water was not as clean as I would prefer. However…I noticed a number of children who were not being well attended by their parents as well as several bar patrons bringing their beverages into the pool. These two factors almost inevitably increase the litter. The fire pits were very nice, and I saw a number of people roasting marshmallows. The “play area”/playground consists of one small climb-on playset with a slide.
Breakfast buffet was okay – nothing special – but they charge a whopping $14.95 per person. Unless you receive this as a comp for being a Hilton Honors member, I would definitely skip it. There are a number of restaurants nearby where you can eat equal or better food for MUCH less.
Local calls incur a service charge – it ends up being a little over a dollar with the taxes. We ordered a pizza one evening from a local pizza shop called Presto Pizza (their flier was in our room). I would also recommend skipping that. If I had known they were going to stick us for a buck plus on the phone calls, I would have used my cell phone. The pizza tasted like something served in a school cafeteria and took over an hour to get.
Housekeeping did a good job. Our room was clean and, when we left a note asking for extra blankets, they were there waiting on us when we got back from day one at Sea World. Our housekeeper (whose name I do not know, unfortunately) folded our two year old’s bedding and even “tucked in” his stuffed animal. We thought that was a very sweet thing to do.
I also agree with a few other posts that I would not necessarily refer to this place as a “resort”. We did not utilize the spa services, so I can’t attest to those, but this hotel was a bit smaller and did not offer the full array of services/amenities that I would refer to as a “resort”. However, if you’re going to Sea World, this is a convenient and nice place to stay. The shuttle is such a great time and money saver. If we return to Sea World in San Antonio, we will go back to the Hilton.

Pros: VERY comfortable bed, great shower and bath, extremely quiet rooms, free shuttle to and from Sea World, nice outdoor area with fire pits, free parking
Cons: VERY slow check in, expensive breakfast, charge for local calls, no free internet/WiFi in rooms, pool water could use improvement
Added tip: We found out after we checked out that there is a nice walking trail somewhere behind the hotel property.

Room Tip: Get a suite!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TruTexasGrl
Thank you for your review. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you need a getaway! Thanks!
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Reviewed 20 June 2011

For $160/night was very disappointing to have people be so rude! We had to change rooms, not once, but twice. The first time was because when we pulled out the bed on the sleeper sofa for the kids (sofa was extremely worn to begin with, almost had holes), the bottom of the mattress had come apart and kids were falling through it. Also, the tub in the bathroom had jets that were completely black with mold, and didn't even work. Then, when i went to desk to see what we could do, the lady acted very bothered and rude to me. She did not even apologize, but only complain that there probably wasn't another room since this was the middle of summer!! :( So then after finally finding us another room, we came back from dinner to another drama. Our room was extremely hot because apparently the a.c. froze up in our room! Omg so annoying with 3 small kids and rude employees. So we had to move again. Never once offered a discount or anything. BUt i do have to add that the maintanance man on duty was so sweet to us. I wish i knew his name! Oh yeah, and the 90 dollars worth of food service food arrived 2 hours late!! No joke. And also expect to pay 10 dollars a day for wireless. Did not expect this from a hilton hotel. Spa was wonderful. Got to go on my way out. Thank god!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family