“Perfect for a short vacation to Sea World”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #77 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Perfect for a short vacation to Sea World”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Overall we had a great experience staying here recently. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were traveling with a 2 year old and he had a blast spending the days at Sea World and evenings at the "toddler" pool area. Also the hotel projected a family movie in the evening and supplied marshmellow kits to roast in the garden area. The shuttle to Sea World was convenient and saves you $15 on the parking at Sea World. With gold status we were upgraded to the 5 floor (top floor) overlooking the garden and pool. Only con was that although the carpet was vacuumed it was due for a steam cleaning. Breakfeast was also Hilton standard. Other than that I would recommend to anyone with small children planning to visit Sea World.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank gyrocompass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Lenexa, Kansas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Although the common area carpets have some staining in places, I found the rooms to be in better shape - very clean and trendy looking. I loved the balcony on the room and the pool area is awesome - there is a lap pool and two other water areas, so you can find a place to be isolated, if you want to escape the noise from the kids playing in the pool. I was there last week and the cabana was open, so I'm not sure what the previous reviewer experienced. I also loved the firepits and the variety of places to eat. Overall, great value for the money - paid $89 a night and the super easy access to area attractions make that a BARGAIN!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are great, if you can get them!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Alex P, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for your kind remarks!
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

We had a mini family reunion at this hotel recently. Some in our group had stains on their sheets which had to be changed. My room had a latch that wouldn't open unless I put my shoulder into it. The pool was a little cloudy and the cabana that should have had drinks and extra towels had 2x4's and chain link fence closing off the bar. Looking around the hotel there was really a need for a good vacuum and floor waxing. The breakfast buffet was overpriced with poor service. Food was ok but just ok.

The biggest thing wrecking our stay was at 2 am there was an alarm that sounded like a foghorn 2 inches from my ear that went off. Apparently there was a fire alarm malfunction occurring during a minor rain storm. It went off at least 5 times until about 430 am. The next morning ther was a long line at the front desk asking for a refund. Those who didn't insist got charged for 1/2 a night. The rest of us did get the room comped for the night.

I had previously stayed here when it was a Radisson and it was a much better operation. I think the management is fairly poor in this one and will never stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Btmciver
Thank you very much for your survey on tripadvisor; it is very important to our Hotel. I do apologize for the fire alarm going off early in the morning and would like to speak to you directly regarding the issue you had during your stay. I have sent you a private message with my contact information.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This hotel is just down the street from Sea World and Aquatica with a frequent shuttle to transport guests to and from the park. So take $15 off the room rate because this is what you are saving each Nisan with this service. We have two children so got the king suite, which worked out perfectly. The room was clean and comfortable. We found this hotel to also be family oriented. There were kids activities each evening as well as a movie outside around the fire pits. The staff handed out popcorn and other treats to the guests before the movie started. Now take off at least another $20 a night for the activities. We very much enjoyed the courtyard around the pool too. Overall we found this to be a great value for the price and would come back again. Oh yeah, and for a real Texas BBQ treat, be sure to stop in to try Rudy's which is only a short distance from the hotel. The family will enjoy this authentic Texas barbecue.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank FamilyFrank0812
Thank you very much for your survey on tripadvisor; it is very important to our Hotel. I appreciate the positive points you had made regarding your stay. We work very hard on providing a great family experience and I am glad that you noticed.

Thank You Again!
Shaker Heights, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Air conditioning out for two nights. General Manager very cavalier and unwilling to provide refunds. Will not recommend or stay there again. The Hyatt (right around the corner) rates much higher. Yuck!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ClevelandSag
I wanted to thank you for your feedback as this is vital to the success of our business. I did notice your remarks on the air conditioning wanted to assure you that our team will take corrective action. Please accept my apologies for any discomfort this may have caused. I don’t recall speaking with you directly regarding the AC issues but would certainly like to do so. I have sent you a private email with contact information for follow up.

Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I chose the Hilton Hill Country Spa for a relaxing weekend celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. I had read some punishing reviews here but decided to try it anyway. This was a Hilton after all, they wouldn't allow problems to go on. Or so I thought... We checked in on Friday afternoon. The place was crawling with kids and families as we expected since it is so convenient to Sea World. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. Our room was clean and comfortable. We decided to roam the grounds and check out the "adult pool" since we planned to spend most of Saturday relaxing there. My wife immediately noticed black mold along the sides of the pool. There weren't just a few spots, it was everywhere. I hoped it would be addressed by the morning, but my wife remained concerned. A positive note here. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, as one might expect at a Hilton property.
The next morning we saw that the mold/ fungus was still all over the walls of the lap pool. We headed to the desk, asked for a manager took her out to see the pool. I reached in and scraped up a fingernail of the mold to show her. The mgr was very nice, apologetic and seemed genuinely surprised by this problem. We explained that there was no way we would be completing our stay there since the primary goal of the weekend was relaxation by and in the pool. I asked the mgr to have the office staff find us another room for the night. She was kind enough to comp us breakfast while her staff located another suitable location for us to finish our weekend.
My wife spent years in apartment management and knows a bit about swimming pool maintenance. This, she says, is a sign of long term neglect and improper pool care. I expected better from a Hilton property.
In summary: the staff were friendly, polite and efficient. The rooms clean and comfortable. Generally the grounds were well maintained. The lap/adult pool, however, was disgusting.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert I
Thank you very much for your survey on tripadvisor; it is very important to our Hotel. I appreciate the positive points you had made regarding your stay. We work very hard on our guest service and I am glad that you noticed. I noticed your remarks on the swimming pool and wanted to comment. We have a dedicated maintenance team that cleans and services the pool each and every day and is kept to the highest standard. I will look into the maintenance records of that day and determine what the issue may be. I am sure that on a return visit you would find our pools to be in impeccable condition.

Thank you for being our guest!
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

The property is pretty and has potiential but service was attrocious. Food was almost impossible to find except in the morning. The hallways and restuarants were unbearable hot. The only "resturant" open beyond breakfast was the bar area with 1 bar tender covering everything. The pool bar was closed and to get a beverage or snack by the pool you had to go get it yourself inside and wait 20 - 30 minutes. There were no bellman to be found either. The only plus to this stay was the spa services and the food, once you got it, was quite good.

Stayed August 2012