“Want to go to Seaworld? Try the Fairfield”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #70 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Tx
“Want to go to Seaworld? Try the Fairfield”
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We stayed at the Radisson Sea World for a long weekend ending 9/20/08.
We had regularly stayed at this hotel, and the staff had always
been one of the friendliest of any hotel. The only problems we ever
had was the that all the rooms have airbeds and some are very noisy,
don't work well, and if the adjustments are wrong it can ruin your back.
They also close the pools at the drop of a hat and there is no clear
chain of command on how they re-open them...they all say something
different, so you can make plans after someone says there're not going
to re-open then find it open ten minutes later. Once we checked the local
radar and it was "clear" but they kept the whole complex closed for hours
on some "30 minute lightning rule"...when there had been none. The internet
was all wired and the terms seemed frightening, but this was minor.
There was also a big shortage of luggage carts and bell hops. We made
multiple long trips from a hilly parking area and up elevators.

This week was a series of yellow ozone days, with Radisson's
addition of the ritual wood fire pits next to the pool for smore roasting.
When low pressure atmosphere kicks in it makes everything
linger around the ground, so if you can tolerate wood smoke it might be
a blessing since the mosquitoes had already forced us to move three times
further away from the pools, finally into the midst of the smog.
It was a relief from the cigar/cigarette stench surrounding the hot tub area that covered
the pool grounds. Despite the fact that these facilities are "heated" all but
some water-winged toddlers were huddled in the hot tub...and they got out
quickly as the parents couldn't tolerate the water to swim with them.

All of this would have been forgivable if it weren't for the "shuttle".
The "every 15 minute" morning shuttle had people abandoning their plans and
driving, preferring to pay parking at Seaworld than wait. The main desk where there was one employee servicing a line was no help.
One "cruised right by" the pickup point, and later we saw it do it again through
the fence as we were walking toward the front of the SeaWorld resort. It had always taken
all of 5 minutes to get from the property to the SeaWorld dropoff/pickup point, and
this day was no exception once the shuttle decided it might take anyone.
From 5-6PM+ we sat at the SeaWorld return curb point and watched
no less than four Fairfield shuttles stop before a single Radisson van. The first two
times "our van" arrived there were so many desperate patrons they
"moved the pickup point" 50, then 100 feet up from the pickup
sign where they waived frantically to hail the driver who would stop and load full, as
those of us who had waited one hour+ got completely ignored. One patron
walked up to the driver and threatened to write corporate over this and we heard
the driver plea for more shuttles on his cell phone. During this time
many angry stranded families paid taxis back to the Radisson as their children
complained in loud voices, waited to eat, and avoided going to the bathroom out of
fear of missing the van. The one we finally got on still left people stranded.
When we got back to the hotel we again noted the second shuttle was still in front
where it had been parked that morning.

Hilariously, when we checked out there was a bogus bar charge on the bill
incurred while we were all sitting on the ground at Seaworld for 1+ hours.
Radisson management removed it, and we thanked them for all that extra time
we could have been in the park instead of sucking ozone on curbs in 90+ heat. The
hotel parking lot was full yet one shuttle sat unused the whole time
while throngs of waiving desperate families paid cabs to hurry back and
to huddle in an overflowing hot tub.

I want to add two things: the shuttle drivers did their best to overload vans
to the point where it seemed dangerous: the trip "to" they put a huge unrestrained
stroller in the front passenger seat (one rear ending might equal the first adult death by
flying stroller in history); on the way "from" it was 5 people per bench seat and lots of
lap sitting with no seat belts. Nice intent, bad business.

I submitted this review 5 weeks after this trip yet this as well as previous
stays had not been credited to my Radisson points account. A call changed that easily.

I learned three things: 1) ask "heated to what temperature?", and 2) watch your statement/points, and 3)try the Fairfeld – we saw their shuttle so many times we stopped counting.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2008

This was our second time at the Radisson resort in San Antonio. The facility is fantastic as I've commented on before, but this time, likely due to it being off-season for Sea World and Six Flags, the staff was definatley not up to par. After a long day at Sea World we arrived at the hotel, checked in, then went to the hotel restaurant at Six o'clock. We waited at the hostess station for ten minutes and nobody came up or sat us. I had to go to the door of the kitchen, peak my head in, and ask if they were open and if we could be seated. A minute later someone appeared with a scowl on their face then sat us. We were rushed through dinner and seemingly hurried out (e.g. we were not even asked if we wanted a dessert, coffee, etc).

The second issue was that we called down for a few extra pillows when we arrived. After dinner, enjoying the campfires on the patio, having a few smores with the kids and watching the outdoor movie, we returned to the room a few hours later and no pillows were delivered. I called the front desk and inquired if it was possible that I get a few extra pilows given that we were travelind wtih our children. Thirty-minutes later, no pillows, no call, etc. I called the front desk again and asked if anyone was working in housekeeping that day. I was told that somebody would check if housekeeping was in. At that point I offered to ride down the service elevator myself and get the pillows from storage if the hotel staff was too busy to assist (to note: the hotel was definatley not at capacity given a relatively empty parking lot tht day). A few minutes later a few pillows arrived. Its disappointing that after the second call sto the front desk someone from housekeeping didn't call the room and leave us a message or tell us that they got the request and would be helping.

That eveing we discovered the A/C was not working in the room. The thermostat read 65 degrees, but the real temp was 75 degrees (my travel clock has a thermostat in it that works quite well).

The next morning we went back to the resturant hoping for better success. The waitress was quite pleasant but the food was a different story. One of my kids ordered pancakes. They arrived room temperature and were completley hard on one side...to the extent that my wife couldn't cut through with a butter knife. We asked for the pancakes to be remade....4 minutes later a new plate comes out...this time, not hard, but not hot.

At checkout, we politely paid the bill, but were suprised that the desk attendant didn't even ask us how our trip was. I was suprised and was prepared to politely let them know of the issues I experienced as that was definatley not the case in my visit earlier in the year.

I'd give the facility 8 out of 10 and the staff/service 3 out of 10.

We'll likely not return...better service at the Hyatt!

• Liked — Fantastic location and facility (pool, patio, etc)
  • Disliked — Poor quality of service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Ft. Worth, TX
Reviewed 7 October 2008

After reading some of the reviews, we were nervous but wanted the Sea World shuttle and proximity as we were traveling with a 15 month old. The room was much better than expected. There was a refrigerator and small bar area that was absolutely necessary and unexpected. We had an oversized studio king which was basically a one bedroom suite and we could close the door so the toddler could go to sleep. Their portable cribs are actually cribs which made it easier to convince the toddler it was time for sleeping. Our previous hotel in Austin had a playpen for a crib and that didn't fly too well.

The bathroom was nice sized, separate water closet, jacuzzi tub and separate shower, two sinks. The view was negligible (#220). We did have a balcony which was nice to sit on for breakfast with a cool breeze.

The shuttle makes this place if you're going to Sea World. The drivers are very friendly and helpful and they come back every 15-30 minutes or you can call the hotel and they'll send them.

We had to leave the pool area before the evening entertainment got going and the smores, but it looked like it was going to be fun. The patio area with the landscaping and the pools is pretty and nice to just sit and relax.

My only complaint...as others have stated, not all rooms have Sleep Number beds and it shows. Especially if you have one at home. I was wishing for mine by the time we left. We requested one, but the pharmacy convention staying there probably had all of them.

• Liked — Shuttle, bathroom
  • Disliked — Beds, furniture a little dilapidated
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We stayed at the Radisson Hill Country from August 29th thru August 31, 2008. We learned about the Hotel throught the Sea World website. We booked a package deal. The Hotel was very nice, our room was clean. The hotel was very convenient to Seaworld, which they offer transportation to and from. A little time consuming but worth not having to move your vehicle and pay for parking at seaworld. Overall we all enjoyed hotel.

• Liked — Close to Seaworld
  • Disliked — nothing
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We stayed at the Radisson for the sole purpose of its convenience to Seaworld. We spent Labor Day weekend there because it was offered with the Seaworld vacation package. The room was standard sized and we had two queens so our family of four (two adults, two children ages 12 and 8) was very comfortable. At first I wasn't impressed with check-in as the front desk clerk would not even answer any of our questions until she finished with a previous customer who had gone to his car for identification. I guess that was a courtesy to that person but she couldn't even tell us where to catch the Seaworld shuttle while we were waiting for him to come back? Once we got to the room, I had no complaints with the rest of the staff. The shuttle bus driver was especially friendly as was the staff at the restaurant. The breakfast buffet served everything you could think of including made-to-order omelets. If you have a car, there are many restaurants nearby with Rudy's barbeque and McDonald's being on the same street as the hotel. If you drive west on hwy 151 to 1604, there are many more restaurants right around the corner. The pool was merely adequate but who needed it when Seaworld was 2 minutes away. My daughter told me that the hot tub wasn't hot, which I thought they should take care of because after a long day of walking around Seaworld, a soak in the hot tub would have been nice. I would recommend this hotel if you are going to Seaworld because it was decent place to rest your head and it was very conveniently located.

• Liked — Convenience to Seaworld and the breakfast buffet.
  • Disliked — Awful view of ducts and vents out the window.
SC
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I dislike the negativity that is written about this hotel. I recently stayed at this property 8/31/08 for 2 nights. It's a family atmosphere and it was myself and another adult. We managed just wonderfully. I think the attention to children and families was wonderful.

We checked in on Sat and were given a Regular room. My companion being a smoker found it to be troublesome, however the desk clerk was so acccomodating and offered us ground floor to help out. After speaking to the Manager he was more than happy to move us to a balcony room on the 2nd night. It was wonderful, it was huge, it was fantastic. The pool/courtyard areas's were great. The restaurant (we didn't eat there) looked wonderful. The bar a very nice atmosphere. The service from all was outstanding. Kuddo's to this property. We loved it - if I ever return to San Antonio I'd without hesitation stay again. Darn however we seemed to get lost alot, maybe GPS next time!!!!

Stayed September 2008
Austin, TX
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I read all of the reviews and called the Radisson with any other questions that weren't answered here. I would say the use of the word "resort" is a bit loose. The Radisson is definitely not what I would call a resort. And for what they charge they should include a mini fridge and microwave in the suites. They will, however, provide you with either for $10 per night per item. I just think that's cheesy. But I knew before I booked the trip that this was the case. I have 2 little ones so a fridge full of fruit, juice, milk..it's a must. We just happen to have a cooler that can be plugged in and used just like a fridge. Perfect! The pools are great for kids and not so great if you're a single adult or couple with no kids. They are only 4ft deep at their deepest so it's perfect for kids. The kiddie pool didn't look yellow to me but the bottom surface is sandy colored which probably led to the previous reviewer saying it was yellow. We stayed in a Jr. Suite but really only for sleeping. We spent the majority of the two days in Sea World. Loved the free shuttle service. We went to Sea World on a Thurs. & Fri. and those were the perfect days to go. As we were leaving Saturday am, the shuttle service line was packed and I'm sure folks were getting hot & irritated by the wait. With the package we booked through the Sea World website, we received free breakfasts every morning. We also ate there for dinner and had the ribeye specials. The pecan pie is delicious. In fact, we were happy with everything we were served. Oh, they do charge $3 for the S'mores kit which you can avoid by simply bringing your own and a stick to roast the marshmellows with. The Radisson is very kid oriented...which is the main thing I care about when I'm traveling with my kids. They have a wonderful staff that does free face painting, necklace beading & various other crafts. They also do manicures & hair-do's for little girls that they charge a small sum for. In fact, all of the interactions I had with different staff members were pleasant, friendly & helpful.

My advice....read all the reviews, have realistic expectations and enjoy! It's not as bad as the horrible reviews it's received but it's not the Ritz either. (nor is it a resort) This is a great place to stay if you're taking the kids to Sea World.....period! I would not stay here if it were my honeymoon or if my husband & I were going on a trip without the kids.

• Liked — Sleep number beds, Kid-oriented, family fun pools, decent food, free ride to Sea World, Kid movie every night!
  • Disliked — For what they charge a fridge & microwave should be included! Hot tub not in good condition or even working.