Hilton San Antonio Hill Country
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
1,710 results
All reviewssea worldmake smoreshill countryoutdoor moviethe executive loungekiddie poolking suiteshuttle servicefree shuttlefamily vacationpitsseaworldtomsproximitytexasriverwalk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 November 2008

My husband had to be at the Radisson for business so my daughter and I went along for the fun of it (school was out for the week of Thanksgiving).

It is a nice place but lacking in service and quality. There were never towels out at the pool -- always had to ask and then wait for them. November weather was nice enough to swim but you need a towel!

They only lit two of the four fire pits until we ask that another be lit -- there was a crowd out there. We didn't see the face painting or crafts other reviewers mentioned. The juice bar at the pool was always closed so we have no idea if it was nice or not.

We had a suite with two TVs. One worked off an on. The hotel engineer that came to check on it said they were installing flat screen tvs on the higher floors. We didn't have those. We did not have a sleep number bed either -- ours was old and awful!

We booked a package that gave us free breakfasts, smores kits, a pizza and a movie. The buffet breakfast was average but not great. After we filled our plates, the fruit tray was emptied and never refilled even though some guy in a chef's hat walked by it three times. The one day the buffet was closed and we ordered off the cart the food was not good at all -- stale sweet rolls and muffins and pancakes so thin and pale that I would not have served them at my house! The pizza was good but ended up being added to our bill. It was removed by the clerk at check out very reluctantly.

We didn't see many workers at all. The bar and restaurant always seemed empty. We never saw anyone that looked like a manager. Overall our experience was very marginal.

We were not there for Sea World but did see a few families that had been there. There was a soccer tournament going on the weekend before Thanksgiving so we were treated to young girls playing soccer in the hallways very late that Saturday night. By midnight they were finally kept quiet. After that bunch left, Sunday and Monday and Tuesday were much better.

My husband is going back to San Antonio this week again for business -- he is staying somewhere else this time.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2008

The hotel is about 16 miles out of San Antonio and out in the country so if you have no car, you are stuck. It is an uninteresting box-like structure from the outside with a functional appearance. However, inside it is luxurious, with excellent air-conditioning. I stayed in a suite with a seoarate living area, bedroom, bathroom and toilet. It was all very comfortable. The bedroom air conditioning had an annoying little buzz to it which was a bit distracting during the night but otherwise I could not fault the facilities. The week I was there, the dining room did not seem to be used much but the food we had at lunch time in the form of a buffet in the bar area was excellent quality. The staff were really friendly and helpful. I took the courtesy bus from the hotel one day to the nearby Sea World and had a marvellous afternoon watching the dolphin, killer whale and seal shows. It is a must for anyone in that area.
Outside the hotel there is an area wih swimming pools and a hot dip pool which all looked to be attractive with gardens in an enclosure. Unfortunately, the week I was there the weather was pretty awful and so no-one was swimming.
It is quite an expensive hotel and even though I was there on a company discount scheme, it came to over $170 per night for just the room (including taxes). A short walk up the road there is a petrol station at the back of which is Rudy's. It is a totally unpretentious eating place where you queue up for absolutely wonderful roast meat, stuffed into slices of bread with some Texan side dishes. Including a beer, it didn't come to more than $10. Next door there is a slightly higher class eating joint so there was no need to spend a lot of money at the hotel if you didn't mind eating at wooden tables under the stars. Wonderful.

Reviewed 30 October 2008

We stayed at the Radisson Sea World for a long weekend ending 9/20/08.
We had regularly stayed at this hotel, and the staff had always
been one of the friendliest of any hotel. The only problems we ever
had was the that all the rooms have airbeds and some are very noisy,
don't work well, and if the adjustments are wrong it can ruin your back.
They also close the pools at the drop of a hat and there is no clear
chain of command on how they re-open them...they all say something
different, so you can make plans after someone says there're not going
to re-open then find it open ten minutes later. Once we checked the local
radar and it was "clear" but they kept the whole complex closed for hours
on some "30 minute lightning rule"...when there had been none. The internet
was all wired and the terms seemed frightening, but this was minor.
There was also a big shortage of luggage carts and bell hops. We made
multiple long trips from a hilly parking area and up elevators.

This week was a series of yellow ozone days, with Radisson's
addition of the ritual wood fire pits next to the pool for smore roasting.
When low pressure atmosphere kicks in it makes everything
linger around the ground, so if you can tolerate wood smoke it might be
a blessing since the mosquitoes had already forced us to move three times
further away from the pools, finally into the midst of the smog.
It was a relief from the cigar/cigarette stench surrounding the hot tub area that covered
the pool grounds. Despite the fact that these facilities are "heated" all but
some water-winged toddlers were huddled in the hot tub...and they got out
quickly as the parents couldn't tolerate the water to swim with them.

All of this would have been forgivable if it weren't for the "shuttle".
The "every 15 minute" morning shuttle had people abandoning their plans and
driving, preferring to pay parking at Seaworld than wait. The main desk where there was one employee servicing a line was no help.
One "cruised right by" the pickup point, and later we saw it do it again through
the fence as we were walking toward the front of the SeaWorld resort. It had always taken
all of 5 minutes to get from the property to the SeaWorld dropoff/pickup point, and
this day was no exception once the shuttle decided it might take anyone.
From 5-6PM+ we sat at the SeaWorld return curb point and watched
no less than four Fairfield shuttles stop before a single Radisson van. The first two
times "our van" arrived there were so many desperate patrons they
"moved the pickup point" 50, then 100 feet up from the pickup
sign where they waived frantically to hail the driver who would stop and load full, as
those of us who had waited one hour+ got completely ignored. One patron
walked up to the driver and threatened to write corporate over this and we heard
the driver plea for more shuttles on his cell phone. During this time
many angry stranded families paid taxis back to the Radisson as their children
complained in loud voices, waited to eat, and avoided going to the bathroom out of
fear of missing the van. The one we finally got on still left people stranded.
When we got back to the hotel we again noted the second shuttle was still in front
where it had been parked that morning.

Hilariously, when we checked out there was a bogus bar charge on the bill
incurred while we were all sitting on the ground at Seaworld for 1+ hours.
Radisson management removed it, and we thanked them for all that extra time
we could have been in the park instead of sucking ozone on curbs in 90+ heat. The
hotel parking lot was full yet one shuttle sat unused the whole time
while throngs of waiving desperate families paid cabs to hurry back and
to huddle in an overflowing hot tub.

I want to add two things: the shuttle drivers did their best to overload vans
to the point where it seemed dangerous: the trip "to" they put a huge unrestrained
stroller in the front passenger seat (one rear ending might equal the first adult death by
flying stroller in history); on the way "from" it was 5 people per bench seat and lots of
lap sitting with no seat belts. Nice intent, bad business.

I submitted this review 5 weeks after this trip yet this as well as previous
stays had not been credited to my Radisson points account. A call changed that easily.

I learned three things: 1) ask "heated to what temperature?", and 2) watch your statement/points, and 3)try the Fairfeld – we saw their shuttle so many times we stopped counting.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 13 October 2008

This was our second time at the Radisson resort in San Antonio. The facility is fantastic as I've commented on before, but this time, likely due to it being off-season for Sea World and Six Flags, the staff was definatley not up to par. After a long day at Sea World we arrived at the hotel, checked in, then went to the hotel restaurant at Six o'clock. We waited at the hostess station for ten minutes and nobody came up or sat us. I had to go to the door of the kitchen, peak my head in, and ask if they were open and if we could be seated. A minute later someone appeared with a scowl on their face then sat us. We were rushed through dinner and seemingly hurried out (e.g. we were not even asked if we wanted a dessert, coffee, etc).

The second issue was that we called down for a few extra pillows when we arrived. After dinner, enjoying the campfires on the patio, having a few smores with the kids and watching the outdoor movie, we returned to the room a few hours later and no pillows were delivered. I called the front desk and inquired if it was possible that I get a few extra pilows given that we were travelind wtih our children. Thirty-minutes later, no pillows, no call, etc. I called the front desk again and asked if anyone was working in housekeeping that day. I was told that somebody would check if housekeeping was in. At that point I offered to ride down the service elevator myself and get the pillows from storage if the hotel staff was too busy to assist (to note: the hotel was definatley not at capacity given a relatively empty parking lot tht day). A few minutes later a few pillows arrived. Its disappointing that after the second call sto the front desk someone from housekeeping didn't call the room and leave us a message or tell us that they got the request and would be helping.

That eveing we discovered the A/C was not working in the room. The thermostat read 65 degrees, but the real temp was 75 degrees (my travel clock has a thermostat in it that works quite well).

The next morning we went back to the resturant hoping for better success. The waitress was quite pleasant but the food was a different story. One of my kids ordered pancakes. They arrived room temperature and were completley hard on one side...to the extent that my wife couldn't cut through with a butter knife. We asked for the pancakes to be remade....4 minutes later a new plate comes out...this time, not hard, but not hot.

At checkout, we politely paid the bill, but were suprised that the desk attendant didn't even ask us how our trip was. I was suprised and was prepared to politely let them know of the issues I experienced as that was definatley not the case in my visit earlier in the year.

I'd give the facility 8 out of 10 and the staff/service 3 out of 10.

We'll likely not return...better service at the Hyatt!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2008

After reading some of the reviews, we were nervous but wanted the Sea World shuttle and proximity as we were traveling with a 15 month old. The room was much better than expected. There was a refrigerator and small bar area that was absolutely necessary and unexpected. We had an oversized studio king which was basically a one bedroom suite and we could close the door so the toddler could go to sleep. Their portable cribs are actually cribs which made it easier to convince the toddler it was time for sleeping. Our previous hotel in Austin had a playpen for a crib and that didn't fly too well.

The bathroom was nice sized, separate water closet, jacuzzi tub and separate shower, two sinks. The view was negligible (#220). We did have a balcony which was nice to sit on for breakfast with a cool breeze.

The shuttle makes this place if you're going to Sea World. The drivers are very friendly and helpful and they come back every 15-30 minutes or you can call the hotel and they'll send them.

We had to leave the pool area before the evening entertainment got going and the smores, but it looked like it was going to be fun. The patio area with the landscaping and the pools is pretty and nice to just sit and relax.

My only complaint...as others have stated, not all rooms have Sleep Number beds and it shows. Especially if you have one at home. I was wishing for mine by the time we left. We requested one, but the pharmacy convention staying there probably had all of them.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family