“A Hilton Paris wouldn't stay at if her life depended on it.”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #80 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Don't let the "Spa" in the name fool you -- this is hardly a resort-like hotel. We stayed here accidentally because I got this property confused with the Hyatt Resort nearby, but once we arrived the Hyatt was sold out so we gave this one a chance. Our first impression was the absence of bellmen and valet staff, so I grabbed a bell cart and took care of things myself (and I'm no diva, but I do enjoy being pampered if I'm going to book a "nice" hotel.").

I must say that unlike most guests at the Hilton, who are just there to sleep in between SeaWorld jaunts, we went with two very simple goals -- stay one night, hang out by the pool with our 6-year old, and order room service and watch movies. The front desk clerk was unfriendly and apathetic, and booked us in a non smoking room that reeked of smoke. We got "upgraded" to a 5th floor room that was smokeless, but aside from the two comfortable beds the room was nothing to speak of.

After moving rooms, we headed down to the pool. I must warn you that if you're wanting an adult-only pool (which they say they have on their property map), forget it -- the lap pool intended for adults was packed with kids, and the main pool is very small. Also, the hotel promoted a heated lap pool and there was only one solar coil working so the heated pool was cold. The hot tub attached to the pool was semi-warm with no working jets and pretty murky. I will say that if you have toddlers who can't swim there's a pretty nice wading pool that was clean on the opposide side of the main pool area. I will say that the maintenance guys we talked to about the cold lap pool were all very friendly and professional. It seems they hire very good employees at this property but it's obvious that the hotel is run on a shoestring budget.

After time in the crowded pool, we went up for an early room service dinner and movies. We were baffled to find that they have no movie options in the room! What?! The only "movie" option in-house was a conference room downstairs, where you're forced to sit in uncomfortable hotel conference chairs watching outdated Scooby Doo cartoons.

As for food, we ordered room service for dinner and it was mediocre at best. The kids' pizza was your typical frozen pizza from Costco, and the burgers for the adults were served on soggy buns. We had breakfast included in our package, and the one restaurant on property besides the pool grill is mediocre (with excellent wait service, however -- again, great employees for the most part but you can see they're cutting corners left and right).

If your goal is a clean place to stay while taking your kids to SeaWorld and your expectations are low, then you'll be fine here. However, if you're expecting a Hilton hotel -- this was unlike any Hilton I've ever been and felt more to me like a Comfort Suites.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We booked the hotel through Priceline for a great nightly rate.
It is only a minute or two off the freeway very near Sea World.
We checked in on a Thursday afternoon. The lobby was large and looked great. The looby overlooks the bar area which also looked roomy and inviting.
On the way to the room we noticed a few stains on the carpets, but nothing that looked terrible. We had a pool view (no balcony) king room. The room was cozy and quite, the bathroom large enough for the two of us to have all our things and still get ready without tripping over each other. The bed was very comfortable including a very warm puffy comforter. The flat screen TV was a big one, but I dont know what size. The curtains kept the light out really well. I dont remember hearing any noise from the hall or nearby rooms other than a random door closing once in a while.
The two swimming pools provided enough room so that when we wanted to swim we werent overrun by the kids enjoying themselves. There were a good number of children there probably b/c of the closeness to Sea World.
The courtyard had 4 fire pits with nice furniture around each of them. It is a quite outdoor patio that is easy to relax in. The front desk sells smores kits for $4 for everyone.
The bar had regular happy hour specials and the prices were very good considering it was a hotel bar. The only think I did not like: the pool area doesn't allow glass. That I can understand, but the happy hour specials do not apply at the pool bar and the regular bar wont give you plastic to go into the pool. One of the staff told me that I could not bring any drinks from the other area into the pool. Not a big deal, but I still say boo on the hotel for having two different prices for its two bars.
On Friday night the hotel must have been sold out. I believe this because there was absolutely NO parking. There were cars parked in fire lanes, curbs, handicapped spots... you name it. We complained at the front desk and their solution was to park in the "gravel lot" where the employees park. The lot is not improved nor lighted and there is no sinage telling you that it is even a lot. I agreed and once parked there noted that there was only ONE vehicle parked in the lot. A hotel that size must have had 15 -20 staff on had at that time, yet only one vehicle parked in the lot. We then complained about that and recieved agreement from the front counter staff and promises that "management" would be informed. We got a free smores kit for our trouble. The next morning there were still cars parked everywhere including illegal places, yet our car and one other were the only two in the gravel lot.
The rest of the time the staff was attentive, pleasant, even chatty at times.
I would definitely stay there again, but if parking was an issue I would just give the front desk my keys and ask them to figure out the parking situation.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We enjoyed our stay and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. This hotel was perfect for us. If I had to name one negative it would be that we weren't informed of all the "extra" (family movie, face painting, etc) we did stumble upon them but it would have been nice to have been told up front. We went during spring break. The hotel was very busy but our room and bathroom were spotless. Wish we would have planned to stay longer. We will be going back.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Nice Hotel and nice pools. The first room they gave us had a big hole in the carpet and dirty. The second room was better but they failed to tell us the door handle was put on backwards and after another trip back to front desk we finally got in. We were never told about smores, movie in courtyard or indoor kid activities. We tried to eat dinner in the courtyard & they ran out of hot dog buns and the ceasar salad was the worst I've ever had. Customer Service was sub par at best. The best thing about this stay was the breakfast. Unfortunately, we won't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2009

I have to admit I had reservations/concerns about this hotel by reading the reviews. When I first drove up to the hotel, it was very nice and elegant. I entered and was further amazed by its inner beauty. While my room was not ready when I arrived, the staff did hold my luggage. After arriving into my room, I was futher impressed. The room as well as the bathroom were awesome. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I had ever slept in.

There were only a few negatives I could find about this facility. I was there representing a hospital system for an event. We asked for some coffee, and it was brought to us. However, the rim of the container was disgusting. Therefore, we did not drink it. The breakfast was good, but a little pricey. My room was located beside the vending and ice machines. It was extremely noisy hearing the ice go into the metal containers. But, the noise did not last past 10pm.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to others. It provided a very relaxing and entertaining few days.

Christi-Dallas

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2009

I stayed ther for one night. My room was small but clean and the bathroom was spotless. The BED was so COMFORTABLE!

Although I can't say anything bad about the hotel ... they say it is a resort and spa. Well there wasn't anything that made it look really "Resorty" for "Spa-esque." So if you are looking for a Restort type atmosphere, this would not measure up to your expections, but it certainly was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmmartin
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Maybe during peak season they have it together, but when we visited in October, the kid's pool wasn't kept clean (leaves and dead bugs everywhere) and the fountains and such had been dismantled. The staff was unhelpful, uninformed, and apathetic. Even when we complained about bedbugs, they offered us a discount on our NEXT stay. Yeah right.

We booked the "Family Package" which was to include a movie, pizza, and marshmallows for roasting. The check-in receptionist had no idea what we were talking about, but eventually found us our coupons. However, when we called down for the pizza, the room service attendant told us that they had never seen such a coupon! Same with getting the marshmallows at the front desk. And upon check-out, we noticed that they charged us for the movie!

We look back on our vacation to San Antonio as a wonderful family memory, but the hotel experience kept it from being perfect.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family