Don't let the "Spa" in the name fool you -- this is hardly a resort-like hotel. We stayed here accidentally because I got this property confused with the Hyatt Resort nearby, but once we arrived the Hyatt was sold out so we gave this one a chance. Our first impression was the absence of bellmen and valet staff, so I grabbed a bell cart and took care of things myself (and I'm no diva, but I do enjoy being pampered if I'm going to book a "nice" hotel.").
I must say that unlike most guests at the Hilton, who are just there to sleep in between SeaWorld jaunts, we went with two very simple goals -- stay one night, hang out by the pool with our 6-year old, and order room service and watch movies. The front desk clerk was unfriendly and apathetic, and booked us in a non smoking room that reeked of smoke. We got "upgraded" to a 5th floor room that was smokeless, but aside from the two comfortable beds the room was nothing to speak of.
After moving rooms, we headed down to the pool. I must warn you that if you're wanting an adult-only pool (which they say they have on their property map), forget it -- the lap pool intended for adults was packed with kids, and the main pool is very small. Also, the hotel promoted a heated lap pool and there was only one solar coil working so the heated pool was cold. The hot tub attached to the pool was semi-warm with no working jets and pretty murky. I will say that if you have toddlers who can't swim there's a pretty nice wading pool that was clean on the opposide side of the main pool area. I will say that the maintenance guys we talked to about the cold lap pool were all very friendly and professional. It seems they hire very good employees at this property but it's obvious that the hotel is run on a shoestring budget.
After time in the crowded pool, we went up for an early room service dinner and movies. We were baffled to find that they have no movie options in the room! What?! The only "movie" option in-house was a conference room downstairs, where you're forced to sit in uncomfortable hotel conference chairs watching outdated Scooby Doo cartoons.
As for food, we ordered room service for dinner and it was mediocre at best. The kids' pizza was your typical frozen pizza from Costco, and the burgers for the adults were served on soggy buns. We had breakfast included in our package, and the one restaurant on property besides the pool grill is mediocre (with excellent wait service, however -- again, great employees for the most part but you can see they're cutting corners left and right).
If your goal is a clean place to stay while taking your kids to SeaWorld and your expectations are low, then you'll be fine here. However, if you're expecting a Hilton hotel -- this was unlike any Hilton I've ever been and felt more to me like a Comfort Suites.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take in the views of beautiful courtyards, indigenous plants and landscaping at the Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel. Relax at our hotel near SeaWorld, and enjoy the massive flagstone fireplace and cozy chairs. Conveniently located in one of San Antonio's premier communities, our Hill Country hotel is close to San Antonio attractions including Fiesta Texas, dining, and golf.Settle into a comfy room or suite with warm, Texas ranch-style decor. Find down-filled comforters, marble bathrooms, 32-inch LCD HDTVs and WiFi access. Suites feature rainforest showers and garden tubs with spa jets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel And Spa
- Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- Hilton Hotel San Antonio
- Radisson San Antonio
- Radisson Hill Country Resort
- San Antonio Radisson
- Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel Texas