“Nice hotel, across from Sea World”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #73 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Nice hotel, across from Sea World”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This is a very nice hotel right across the street from Sea World. Can't get any closer to Sea World. They do have a shuttle but parking is free with a season pass so we opted to drive our own car and take breaks back at the hotel during the day.

The breakfast buffet is good - came with room so it was even nicer.

Will stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank pgmipl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend. We paid $69 dollars on Priceline.com and srill got the same service a regular guest would receive. We are Hilton Silver VIP Members and excited that we got the Hilton. We stayed in room 204 that has 2 Queen Beds. It was clean and comfortable plus the beds are fantastic. We ate at the hotel for dinner and the service was slow but the food was good and a great value for the price espicially for a Hilton. We used the pool and it was really nice. The Juice Bar was open and that wa a plus (had a great Pina Colada). I would not pay full price for the hotel but our value was great. We would definetly stay at this hotel again at this price.

Pros:
Clean room
Bed was comfortable
Pool nice
Good service at bellman and front desk
Crabtree and Evelyn bath products

Cons:
Service at restuarant slow
Elevators packed
Otherwise, nothin!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AustinBeach001
Abilene, TX
Reviewed 3 August 2009

After looking for a hotel in the San Antonio area we discovered that there really weren't a lot of choices when on a budget. We put our fate into the hands of Priceline and were pleasantly surprised to have gotten this hotel at such a low rate.

The pros were that it was located almost literally right across the street from Sea World (which we were there to visit) and on top of that they had a shuttle service that ran back and forth from the park. The driver was helpful in telling us about the area and recommending shows. We took him up on his recommendations and weren't disappointed. The price was great, the pool was nice, the breakfast was good (especially since we found it came with the room), and the room was nice and clean. Free parking was a plus. We had dinner there one night and were surprised that it was actually quite good and somewhat reasonably priced. Rudy's BBQ was close by and many other venues were about a mile down the road which was very convenient.

The cons weren't directly related to the hotel and were few. The hotel was packed with families and had kids seemingly running around unattended. Each time we went to the pool the hot tub was jammed pack with small children even though the sign next to it clearly states that any children under 14 had to have an adult in the hot tub with them. I love children, but I'm not patient when it comes to parents not watching them. High speed internet wasn't free. Not that it's free everywhere, but I'm not excited when I stay at an upper scale hotel and they try to nickle and dime you for something that is free at your local Motel 6.

I'm not sure I would stay at this hotel for the price advertised on their website; however, going through Priceline this hotel was definitely a steal and I hope to stay there again in the future.

1 Thank txninja
Dallas
Reviewed 30 July 2009

This vacation hotel is not where you want to take your kids!!!! Although it is right across the street from Sea World, I would definitely pay the extra money to stay at the Hyatt. There is no security at this Hilton. And wouldnt you know, it has easy access to the highway for criminals to break into your vehicle. My truck was broken into the first night. And the police returned for more break'ins ever day that we were there. The wait staff was horrible. Most of them couldn't speak well, or ignored you all together. They acted like they were not happy to be there. Especially the bartender. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was working in a area swarming with bees. Yes! The pool area was a hot mess. If you werent being attacked by bees, you had to spend several minutes pulling someone elses hair off you as you got out of the uncleaned pool. They did not clean it one time while we were there. And for dinner, these brainiacs close down their dining area and make you eat at the bar. The waiters have to go all the way to the back of the hotel to get your food which takes them even longer to bring your food. Oh...and that makes them really happy. The hotel tries to redeem itself by providing a movie by campfire with smoores ($4 for package of smoores kit and one stick, hope you dont have multiple kids). This is a nice gesture, however, you cant see the movie (projector is night bright enough). The campfire pits are nice. The only problem is that they are so deep, your small child could fall in and burn themselves. I mean really, can't you just create a normal pit. Not one that is 4 feet deep. I guess I should talk about something positive. I will say that the cook that made the omeletes our last 2 days there was the only shining moment on the debacle of a trip. I'm thankful my children are young enough to only remember Sea World. Seeing the window busted out of the truck and the missing DVD players (and DVDs) could have ruined the entire trip. Please, PLEASE spend the extra cash and stay at the Hyatt!!!! For your security's sake!!

VB

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Texas, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My husband has a powered wheelchair so we have unique needs. We love this hotel. Is it perfect? No. Is it really a resort? Not in my mind. We have gone 6 times and stayed 3-7 nights each time. We ALWAYS stay at this hotel in San Antonio. We will continue to do so. Why? The LUXURIOUS beds and the excellent staff. People really do make the difference for us.
The store owner, the bellmen, the head waiter, the maintenance men, the front desk people, management, and the maids all do a great job of making us feel welcome and accomodating any unusual needs. I noticed on Spring Break they seemed to hire no extra help which meant lines for bar drinks and waiting a few minutes to order(very unusual). They do enforce the no outside food rule which I had never noticed before.
It is due to health code rules.
We miss the free breakfasts and the omelet chef in the morning(the Radisson used to own this hotel). We love the three pools(except in January when they only had one heated and it was not nearly hot enough). The toddler pool is awesome for young kids who can't swim. It is beautiful outside and the smores and movies at night are fun for kids. Sea World is literally down the road and there is a free shuttle.
I miss the kids buffet with plain food. The prices have gone up and I don't like fancy food. We did order off the menu without a problem. For us, we will pay hotel prices for dinner if we don't have to go into traffic. There are lots of places to eat and shop nearby and employees give excellent directions.
Friday nights brings lots of young professionals to the hotel bar/lobby. I don't like that and they seem to take up a lot of parking spaces. I have never had a problem in the parking lot except from one of those professionals who was driving badly.
The hotel is being redecorated and we had a room with a brand new sofa bed. It is the only sofa bed our child will sleep in. We usually get a rollaway. This hotel has awesome beds no matter what room you stay in. I love their bedding. It feels luxurious.
I stayed at the more expensive nearby resort whose name also begins with an H;-) and we could barely wait until morning to go check in at the Hilton. They were very good to get us in with no reservations and put us in the one bedroom king suite with seperate living room.
If I could, I would give the excellent employees a raise. There needs to be some way to recognize/thank those who go beyond. We tip very well when we get service. I would end the Friday nights at the bar for professionals during the summer. I would expand the menu to more family dinner type meals. I would have a special email promotion for repeat visitors to book another stay at the sale price.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank JenLyn67
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Nothing really stood out at this hotel. Rooms were OK, service was OK, location was OK. So it's really hard to write a comprehensive review. If your going for a night or two them this hotel should be OK. One bright spot was an awesome BBQ spot down the road, it looks like a gas station, but definitely stop and eat.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2009

The Hilton Hill Country Resort and Spa exceeded our expectations. We usually stay at the Westin La Cantera however because our plans included Sea World we decided to stay at the Hilton due to the proximity to the park and the shuttle service available. Have to say the customer service, childrens activities and rooms were better than at the Westin (which we have seen decline in the past 5 years). The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable, the bathrooms were very large which is great when traveling with kids. This is a perfect family resort. My children looked forward to returning to the hotel every evening to roast marshmallows and watch movies under the stars. This gave my husband some down time to have dinner and drinks out on the gardens and we could still keep an eye on our kids. We also had massages at the Spa and had a great experience with friendly service. Also note that we purchased through priceline at an amazing rate and were not charged an additional $50 for 2 queen room . Great vacation, would highly recommend .

1 Thank Vac45