“Nice Surprise”

Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel
Ranked #82 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I just stayed at the Hilton for one night for business and was pleasantly surprised. I usually stay at the Four Seasons or Ritz (I know, I know), but this was much closer to my destination. The front desk person was very friendly, internet was free (someone else wrote that it wasn't, but I'm an HHilton member, so perhaps that's why). Free printing services in the Business Center.--which is very unusual. Free breakfast, which was not fine dining, but decent. And plenty of free parking right outside the front entrance. The rooms could use some updating, but were certainly clean and serviceable, with the usual amenities one would expect. Overall, I thought it was a great value, much friendlier staff than the more upscale hotels, and I enjoyed the stay. Not sure I'll take a Hilton over a Four Seasons, but I will if I'm back in San Antonio.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 February 2010

We booked this last minute trip over Valentines weekend. Everything on the Riverwalk was booked. We stayed here before and never had a bad visit. The rate was much better than I thought it would be compared to otherplaces. My spouse and I came along with another couple.
They had drinks in the bar,,,by the way don't order the mojito!
There were groups of teens there for volleyball I think,but they were very well behaved. The kids did say the pool was lukewarm and had been warmer maybe a month before. We never used the pool.
We went out to dinner and came back around 11 and slept well. The next day the guys went to play golf with many courses to choose from. Us girls headed to San Marcus to Outlet shopping,about an hour away but not a bad drive.
That evening we drove down to Riverwalk and had dinner and went out. It was a great time.
No problems with parking when each time we were out and came back. With security issues...You can have that at any hotel. It was a nice reminder to see a sign. There was always someone at the front desk when we came in.
Our room was not in bad shape so can't really complain about it. If it had a smell you bet I would let you know!
This is right across the freeway from Seaworld which is nice for those trips along with McDonalds right there but not too far is lots of eating places and little shops. I also saw a mini golf place for fun with family.
I will stay here again. This was actually my 5th visit here. With family and kids, with girlfriends weekend away and alone time with my spouse. Never had any problems!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We purchased this one night's stay in a King Deluxe room while we were attending a charity event. We paid more than top dollar for it because it was for charity. But we didn't expect it to be a basement room. The room smelled like someone had been smoking cigarettes in it. We live in the area, so we decided to check out and go home. They offered us another room - we looked at it - it still smelled funky, the carpets had two large stains, and the furniture was really worn.

What a shame that they would donate this shabby room for a charity auction.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I was there to meet a new client in teh office park across the street. They reccommended the Hyatt but i chose the Hilton bacause I'm Silver VIP. Theer are just somethings you expect from a Hilton. This hotel has none. Day one, check in. No bell service! Had to take a cart and lug my bags up to my room on my own. No water! The hotel had the water turned off for repairs. After a long flight all I wante dto do was shower and brush my teeth. Day 2 - Water back on! but shower not working. Called front desk at 730, repair man showed up 430. Had to go to my meeting without a shower. Upon returning to teh hotel that afternoon, I decided to go to teh spa. No one was there, just a sign to contact the front desk for service. Went into the mens spa, steam room and sauna turned off. .no other facilities. Day 3 - finally showered but towels smelled of bleach. This has to be one of teh worst Hilton I've stayed at.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I stayed in a King Junior Suite for 3 nights. My 6 year old niece was with me for two nights. The hotel is a little out of the way and remote which is peaceful. The suite was pretty and the bedding, bathroom and soaps ect were as great as described on the website. The staff was also great and very helpful. When I explained we wanted to see New Year's fireworks from our balcony they switched our room so that we would be able to see Sea World's fireworks. (Which were wonderful!) The spa was able to arrange last minute manicures (with a mermaid manicure for my neice) and it was a pleasant experience although the polish was chipping by the next day. The outside areas were nice with a semiworking whirlpool, a heated adult and kid pool, a cold pool, and fire pits to sit around or to roast marshmallows bought from the front desk. I gave a lower rating mainly because of three things - room service, the TV system and the lack of a fridge or mini bar. Room service was only open until 11:00 pm (I called one night at 11:02 and they would not serve us) and no light "all night menu" was available. NOTHING was available after 11:00 pm. Not what I expect from a higher class of hotel. In addition there was no fridge or mini bar in the room to store your own snacks. The TV was also a letdown. We settled into the plush bed only to find that the guide that showed on the TV was too small to see from the bed. The font was lite and small and I had to actually walk up to it to read it.. No other guide was available. No info even in the hotel room packet. There were about 20 or 30 basic cable channels. There were no pay per view movies or later night kid channels. There were three channels for kids (Disney, Nick and Cartoon Network) that all switched to teen fare in the afternoon. Nothing appropriate for a 6 year old. I called to see if we could rent a DVD player one night to play a kid movie but was told that service was not offered. So we ended up setting up my laptop for her. It worked but I really expected better for the price. Internet was available - for a fee. It was disappointing as much less expensive hotel chains include internet, fridge, micro and breakfast in the price. And have pay per view movies to lull little kids to sleep after an exciting day (or to just give mom and dad a break!) So - pretty facilities and nice staff but be sure you have ready to eat snacks in the room for late night munching, use your phone for internet access, make sure you can entertain yourself, and don't expect more than your average TV channels. Or less.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
GM_SATHC, General Manager at Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write an on-line review of our hotel. Your comments are very important to us and I am passing them along to my management team for follow-up. I appreciate you taking the time to write in detail the events of your stay. We are in the process of renovating the hotel by spending over 5 million dollars.
Thank you again for your business and for being a loyal Hilton Hotels customer.

Reviewed 26 December 2009

It started from the minute we checked in. The carpets in the hallway are disgusting. Our room was not very clean, half of the bulbs in the room were burned out. There was a hole in our bathroom wall. The closet door did not work, There were ceiling tiles falling down in the closet. There was a burn spot in the carpet in our room from an iron and the carpet in the room was very old looking. The walls had dirt marks all over them as well as the doors. You couldn't pay me to sit in the jet tub. I have one at home and it looks like the tub hasn't been cleaned really good in years. There was a hair right on the ledge of the tub and it was just gross looking. The fridge was very loud. The bed was nice though and the staff were nice. There have apparently been security issues here as well. There were signs up all over outside the hotel about locking up your car and not leaving things in the car and that the hotel is not responsible. More than in any hotel I have been at. My husband gave it the thumbs down as well and he could care less about most of the places we stay. Parking was free. Wireless was not.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Definitely not the place for a business person on a budget. Does not offer free internet or breakfast like most of the other hotels in the area. Good location, but poor security. Restaurant and lounge are over priced and the food is not 4 star.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business