Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
US$336
Crockett Hotel(San Antonio)
US$218
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
US$157
US$134
ComfortSuites
  • Breakfast included
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
US$287
US$279
US$185
US$177
  • Pool
Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk(San Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$160
Menger Hotel(San Antonio)
US$359
US$260
1,258 results
All reviewsmission styleoverflow parkingoverflow lotthe river walkamtrak stationcommerce streetwithin walking distancealamo domebest westernsshort walkconvention centercoffee tablewaffleshot breakfastlight sleepertwo blocksgreat place to stay
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed here for six. nights. At first, I hated the room, it's dark, too dark to read at night by the light. There's no overhead light, which is crazy dark. In fact, I took a picture, without a flash of the room, as i saw it, and it looks creepy. So, when I had to fill out my business papers for the next morning, it was, quite literally, difficult to see. I finally filled them out in the dim bathroom. I don't think this is a business hotel at all cause of the poor lighting. The internet worked fine, and is free.

The furniture is really pretty, but I couldn't see it very well, unless I pulled the curtain wide open. I despise dark rooms. I had dark socks, and I had a hard time seeing them. There was a light in a square where I sat my suitcase, then 2 lamps, then a dim desk lamp, and a couple of lamps near the bed, not bright enough to read by. I like to knit, but there's no way I could do that. There was a bright overhead lamp at the entrance where the refrigerator, microwave and sink was.

The lighting in the room does not compliment the attractive furniture, which I really liked. I though the furniture was beautiful. But the TV was where I had to sit on the bed to watch it..okay, now I'm being picky. The coffee table was oak, and the couch had oak accents and so did the bed. The bathroom was incredibly dim, until they replaced the fixture on the last day of my stay, then it lit up.

The incidental fees, which I paid by cash, doesn't reflect the dim lighting, or lack of iron. I had to rewear clothes I had kind of gotten dirty cause I was there on business, and my clothes remain ironed. I think I got tired of asking for my key to be reset, atleast 6 times while I was there, that I decided to mention the fact that there's no iron in the room here in this review.

$100 incidental fees that they almost didn't refund me this morning, but finally did, are too high for this hotel. I've had problems getting refunded from a Best Western before, when I paid with my credit card. This chain of hotels will hold your money for over 10 days, and be hesitant to pay you back your cash refund when you leave. And this hotel is guilty of that too. I did get my money back.I had to stand there for 20 minutes, when I should've been driving to the airport.

I am a single woman, and I've walked all around New York by myself, and New Orleans French Quarter. I've climbed mountains, and done other things alone. Yes, this hotel is a bout 5 minutes from the Riverwalk, which I discovered by walking to Macy's. Macy's opens to the Riverwalk, and there's a doorway to the side that opens to the Alamo. No one at the hotel could tell me this. Yes, it is close, and I walked it 4 times, but the underpass felt like something bad had happened under there. It was creepy, and I was certain to be back in my room by 6:00. I am alone, not with a group.

I was told by the front desk to take the bus. That seems kind of dumb, when you can see Macy's right there, yet they had no idea you could walk to the Alamo. Do it, but know your surroundings, and be cautious. A taxi is only $4.25 there, and $4.25 back if you don't feel right.

The hotel parking lot, provided you can get a space is well lit and free. The hotels surrounding the Alamo area cost a whopping $20.00 a night to park...(Laquinta?) The free parking is nice. I would never want to park a rental car paid by my company in the overfill parking, which is available, but no one could tell me exactly where. One day I had to park on the street. But I was there to do work, and my hours are not the same every day. I have a carry on with a company laptop, and I get jittery if I don't go directly to the room with it. I don't like walking down the street with it and shouldn't have to if there is parking.

Once I walked over to Sunset Station, which is the opposite way of the Riverwalk. I ate at Aldaco's Mexican Restaurant. I walked back to the hotel, alone, and was approached twice by vagrants asking for money. I never did that again. It was around 4:00.

The breakfast was free, and actually good. Infact, I forgot to get the potato recipe. There was potatoes at nearly every breakfast. I don't eat much meat, and I was pleased. Very pleased.The chef is a really nice guy if you talk to him.

I would never stay in this hotel by myself cause there are safety in numbers, but I would stay there cause of the free parking, provided I get my incidental fees back immediately. I would stay there if I had someone accompany me to the Riverwalk. Walking that by yourself isn't the greatest. The woman at the front desk this morning almost made me late on my schedule to the airport due to trying to say they made a mistake with the incidental fees, and refunded them on the company card. Really? this hotel isn't that great to have such high incidental fees. save that for the Marriot. Plus, I would bring my Ott light, if I didn't fly, I probably would anyway. And chances are, I'd not fly to San Antonio.

I wouldn't bring an iron and ironing board, that is asking too much. The hotel is ultra clean, room too dark, but I'm not sure the area is that safe, when you are a female alone. ...And yes, you can easily get to the Alamo from the Riverwalk. But do remember, safety in numbers. And don't walk to Aldaco's.

Room Tip: Yes it's close to the Riverwalk, but there's safety in numbers. Walk only when it feels safe. Very dim lighting in the room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Rhonlynn
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for the detailed review...my understanding is that you DID enjoy your visit to San Antonio. Sorry to hear about the issues with the incidental fees, most of our guests check in with credit cards and we simply run an authorization on their card for room charges OR incidentals...there is no issues with refund involved since it's just an authorization. I will find out where the issue occurred and fix the process for the better. The IRON and board are in a beautiful cabinet built right into the wall of the guest room entrance hallway. Did you ask the desk? I do hope you see us for your next visit and I would love to meet you in person and ensure that your stays in San Antonio continue to be productive (for your work) and comfortable.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in April and found it a nice, cool haven from the heat (95 degrees) and bustle of San Antonio's Fiesta Week. We found the 'dark' decor and the space of the suite very relaxing and, as a light sleeper, surprisingly I found the road noise was not at all intrusive but quite soothing (!) as it's flowing traffic, not stop/start. The staff are pleasant and the housekeepers do an excllent job - spotlessly clean rooms - thank you. The soundproofing between rooms is also very good - we were not aware of other guests at all. We enjoyed the short walk to the centre of SA but also used the buses to get around and the yellow route which passes the door is very handy. Breakfast was better than you could expect for a free buffet - fresh, not packaged. For a 'budget' range hotel, it reaches way over that and this is an excellent place to stay in SA

Room Tip: Top floor, at the back, was great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenni R
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

We're glad you had a fantastic Fiesta and a restful sleep back at the hotel. With only two blocks to the River Walk and free parking, you can't get a better deal, right? We're glad you enjoyed out freshly prepared Breakfast Buffet (and you are correct, it is NOT packaged...really fresh). We hope to see you again and please don;t wait a whole year full next Fiesta.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

What a fantastic place to stay! The Riverwalk was such an awesome place with all the great building and stores. You can walk anywhere from the hotel. The room was clean, comfortable and very nice. Free parking, internet and breakfast. The breakfast was good and hot and a variety of different items to pick from. The coffee always fresh and hot. A very friendly staff and atmosphere. It was such a nice place to stay and so accessible to so many things to see and do. I would stay there again. San Antonio is a clean and beautiful city with a variety of things to see and do. It was a terrific trip all around.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TJO47185
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

So glad you enjoyed your visit to San Antonio. We love it here and the River Walk is beautiful. You should come back for Christmas Holidays, the lighting downtown and the River Walk are spectacular. I'm happy you enjoyed our property and hospitality :).

Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of the Riverwalk and the Alamo. The main hotel building is an old restored building that is unique and has a nice feel. The main building for the rooms is newer. The rooms were clean and comfortable with unique (for a hotel) oak furniture. The breakfast was typical for a midgrade hotel. There is no parking fee here which can save you a few bucks vs. some of the other comparable hotels in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greenbulletblues
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Thank you for noticing the Solid Oak Mission-style Furniture...that is some heavy furnishings :). Our staff take meticulous care in sanding and varnishing them twice per year. Free Parking, complimentary full buffet breakfast and a 5 minute walk to the River Walk, can't get better than that, can it? Oops, you already said that; thanks again!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Had 3 nights at the BW Sunset Suites in April. This hotel is in a great location, just outside the madness of central River Walk, but close enough to enjoy everything it has to offer.
Another bonus was the FREE parking, internet and breakfast - and although right next to the interstate, there was little issue with noise, just easy access to everything !
Rooms were extremely comfortable and room 407 included a King bed, fridge, microwave, sink area and large sofa area.
If you're looking for a room with a view, this is probably not for you as our room looked out towards a high-rise condo building - however, this was of little concern as we spent most of our time out and about enjoying everything San Antonio had to offer !
We would stay here again if in the area

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lindsay-and-Neil
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for your feed back. The FREE Parking is a definite plus, saves about $20 on each nights stay compared to the rest of the downtown properties. Room with a view - all the even number rooms look out onto the Tower of the Americas and the Alamo Dome, the odds have the beautiful view of the most expensive condos in San Antonio :), still a nice view but not one that's exclusive to San Antonio only :). Love to see you back soon.