“Not on the River”

Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
Ranked #46 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The name of this hotel is "Riverwalk" but there is no river. Good and bad:
Good: older hotel but very clean with huge rooms. Full breakfast in very nice dining area.
Bad: in a strange location. Right on hwy 37 so road noise might bother you. If so. Ask for an odd # room to be as far from it as possible. If you don't have GPS be sure you plan ahead because it is hard to spot even if you know where 37/Commerce street is. Worst thing is parking. Somebody didn't do the math. I think it has 68 rooms but only 26 non- handicap parking spots. Otherwise, you have to park on the street curb or 1/4 mile away (literally).

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank ThaJudge
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. Not too often that I need to put everything in perspective :), the overflow lot (still ours) is right across the street, not 1/4 mile away :), the original building that the hotel was built around is "Historic" not old :), it actually dates back to the 1890's but the guest suites were built in the new annex in 2000...River Walk, OK I'll give you that but a two block walk with free parking in a beautiful property with great customer service is a real deal in San Antonio. We look forward to having you back, give us a call.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Room was spacious and clean. Professional staff. Located next to freeway, but requested quiet room. Hotel is NOT on the Riverwalk as name suggests---2 1/2-block walk. Only had freeze-dried coffee on breakfast bar; that was a negative. Overall an okay stay.

Stayed: May 2014
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

We want all our stays to be great...come back and see us again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Mother’s Day. I chose this hotel because it had a favorable rating and because I had to conduct business in the city the next day. I will tell you that staying here on Mother’s Day, or any other day, is a mistake that I will never again make.

You would think that in this day and age when a hotel promises free Wi-Fi that they would ensure that there customers who spent $128.00 a night would indeed have access to the Internet as promise. Apparently I was wrong and foolish to expect what they advertise would be available regardless of their overpriced room fees.

After pleasantly bringing it to the receptionist attention several times that I couldn’t get the Wi-Fi to work in my room she basically told me that there was nothing she could do, since it was “Mother’s Day” and she had no way of knowing how to connect a guest personal computer to the hotel Wi-Fi services.

I explained to her the 3rd time I spoke to her, that there was a placemat on the desk in my room that stated that there were instructions to access the Wi-Fi in some sort of room/directory “guide” that was suppose to be in the room but wasn’t. I asked her for a copy of the “guide” since none was in my room thinking this would help me connect to the net, and she had no idea what I was talking about. Showing an incredible amount of apathy she responded by telling me that since she had never been in the room so she couldn’t help me.

I then asked her was anyone else in the hotel having problems with connecting to the net and she responded “yes, everyone”, clearly unmoved and indifferent to any need that I or any other guess had for connecting to the net. I then asked her was there anyone she could call for help or guidance. Her response, “no, it’s Sunday, Mother’s Day”, and since it was late (4:30pm, check-in being at 3pm) there was nothing she could do.

At almost $130.00 a night you would think more effort and care would have been made to provide a basic service that they promise. Oh well, while I desperately needed to conduct business research that night and was unable to I guess I should at least take heart that with all the fruit flies in the room, (I closed the window curtains), trying to get rid of them did give me something to do all night.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PM P
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

No, No, No...I'm horrified. The Internet has been fixed but the response from the desk was completely inadequate and it WILL be fixed. Please accept my apologies. I hope you'll visit us again soon and see our true service.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was in San Antonio to help move our Trinity University student home from college. Location is just a few minutes drive from the school. Loved the old building restoration for lobby and breakfast areas and up to date comfortable rooms. We felt safe walking to the Riverwalk area on Commerce Street.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Congratulations on your college grad...Thank you for choosing us for your big move. Please come back to visit soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Overall a clean basic hotel with helpful staff . Good Value when compared to hotels right on the Riverwalk. About 1/2 mile from the Riverwalk. No restaurants nearby unless you walk to the Riverwalk. Free parking

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Good value is always a winner in our books, and the free parking is the gravy on top. Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel was within walking distance of River Center Mall. Very nice rooms and decor, but the internet was not working for half of our stay. Our room had a smoke odor, and we were told someone would be up to check on our complaint, but no one ever came. We finally told front desk to cancel since the odor was not as strong, and we needed to leave the hotel. That is poor customer service in my opinion. The rooms were nice and loved the water pressure in the shower! I would still recommend staying here, but would reccommend the internet problems be corrected. Staff said it was a common occurrence.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Completely out of the ordinary, I will check on the lack of response and will look at the Internet connection to see if there was an issue with service in the area. Please accept my apologies...I am glad you'll be coming back and we'll make sure it will be a great trip.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel is reasonably priced, cheaper than the Laquinta next door and Best Western doesn't charge you $ 20 to park in their own parking lot. It's an easy .08 mile walk to the Riverwalk. You have to walk under an overpass, but it's well lighted and absolutely no one bothered us when we walked around. Very safe hotel. We enjoyed a full breakfast the next morning. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We agree, why would anyone have to pay $20 for parking, plus the outrageous rates downtown? We're glad you chose us over the rest and look forward to having you back real soon.