“Cautiously Optimistic”

Best Western Plus Hill Country Suites
Ranked #108 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I must say that I booked my stay at this hotel before I visited Trip Advisor. Once I read all of the negative reviews I was very nervous about staying here. I even thought about canceling my reservation, but the hotel requires one week notice (not good business in my opinion). Regardless, my wife and I decided to go ahead and stay.

As other reviews say, the hotel is a mess to get to, traveling from one road to the other and then onto the service road of US Hwy 281 to get to the entrance just doesn't make sense! Anyway, we got into our room and I started to investigate things right away. I checked everything - the bed, the bathroom, the shower curtain, the plastic thing that you put in the tub to keep yourself from slipping, the closet (where I found a pair of someone else's socks), the lights, the AC, heater, the door locks - just about everything you can imagine. While I am so busy doing all of this my ever-so-picky wife is smiling at me telling me that she really likes the room! I was bowled over. Here I am scrutinizing every last detail and my wife is in love with the room already. I must say, it was quite nice. The bed was comfy and even though the shower head looks ugly, it is wonderful! The water comes out at a great pressure and you can feel the layers of stress being peeled off of you after a long days work.

Breakfast was somewhat what I imagined it to be. We got to the breakfast area at around 9:15 AM and they close at 9:30AM. You could tell they were starting to not care about how things looked because the food was not being re-stocked. I thought that was kind of cheap on the hotels part, but I can understand where they are coming from. My wife and I found plenty to eat and I personally thought that the eggs were delicious! Overall my experience was decent.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank classicphoto

Reviewed 27 January 2008

Reserved smoke free room--the entire floor reeked of cigarette smoke. I was told that the left wing of the first floor was entirely smoking and there "was nothing they could do." I stayed on the third floor! No Internet cable in the room and just poor quality.
Management was apathetic and did nothing about it. I stayed on the third floor. Bathroom had mold and was not very clean. Oveall, I would NOT recommend this property to anyone in this area. There are far better and newer hotels in the area off of 1604 and 281.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed 16 April 2007

I stayed at the Best Western Hill Country this past weekend (April 12th - 14th. I was travelling alone with my 3 year old daughter. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Best Western. I disagree with previous posters saying this was a bad place. The breakfast was wonderful. Eggs, biscuits, gravy, bacon or sausage, toast, bagels, cereal, pastries, fruit, yogurt, juice........it was a really nice selection. (however the lady working the buffet area was not very pleasant, she was rather cranky) We never had any problems with there not being enough food, even though we were always there close to the closing time.
The rooms were very nice & CLEAN. Having the fridge & microwave proved to be very handy. It wasn't quite warm enough to swim while we were there, so we only enjoyed the hot tub at the hotel, which was nice.
Overall, I would definately recommend this hotel. It's location is very convenient. There are several places (fast food & nice places) to eat nearby, and also a Super WalMart next door.
My only con is that it is difficult to get to the hotel. I had a hard time finding it the first time, so if you stay there, be sure to print out directions from the hotels website!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2006

There aren't many "nice" hotels near the San Antonio airport. My wife and I decided to try this place out for Thanksgiving (she's got family in the area). Lots of problems - I'll be brief: front desk didn't have my reservation (which I made on their website), but they said they had rooms available. Got keys to a room, unpacked the car, and, upon entering the room, found someone already in there. Another reviewer had the same issue. Got keys for another room and it looked nothing like their pictures on the web - much smaller and basically falling apart. Two TVs, one remote. Bath tub had large chips everywhere (like the size of a 50-cent piece) + mold in the few places where there was actually some caulking left + didn't drain. Microwave didn't work. Coffee maker was designed for one-cup-at-a-time and there were only two packets of coffee (meaning one of you gets 1 cup of reg and the other gets 1 cup of decaf). I went to the Walmart within walking distance and bought a full coffee marker for $10. Breakfast selection was limited and 75% of items offered were out - slow to refill items. Access to the hotel is a mess - you'll see what I mean if you stay here. Exterior and lobby look pretty good, but go beyond that and you're in for an unenjoyable journey. Not sure if I can mention this here, but I heard there's a new Hamton Inn opening near the airport in Dec-2006 - that might be a better option. Happy travels.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank JG_in_Fairview
Reviewed 28 September 2006

Our arrival date was on Sept. 22 and knowing that we would be late checking in, we called in the afternoon from San Marcos to advise that it would be about 10:00 PM before we would be there and were told that this would not be a problem. Upon reaching our floor, we detected a strong odor of some kind of drugs and advised the front desk upon which the person at the front desk then sprayed a freshner in the hall. The next day while we were in our room another person entered our room and upon inquiring, we were advised that we had been put down as NO Show and they had given our key to another person, although we also had a key to the room. After spending the day away we returned only to find that our room had NO CLEAN towels and our beds had not been made. Again upon complaining, we heard I'm Sorry and handed some new towels. We had asked for another pillow and were advised that there were no more extras in the hotel. The breakfast was a big joke. It is advertised as a FULL hot buffet, which consisted of egg beaters, sausage, and biscuits and gravy and a few pastries, toast and cereal, which were usually empty. The only time any more were put out were when everything was gone and then only a couple of things were added at a time. We did not have a good experience and would probably never feel comfortable going to a Best Western Hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank samsassy
Reviewed 12 August 2006

We enjoyed our stay here at this hotel. It was a good location, about 25 minutes from Seaworld and 10 minutes from Six Flags. It was clean and very roomy. We got a good price less than 90.00 per night. The breakfast was good. We wish they had waffles. The lady doing the breakfast was nice and very helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed 30 June 2006

We stayed at the Best Western Hill Country Suites while in San Antonio to visit Seaworld. The hotel is not fancy, but is very clean and is nice. They have a full, hot breakfast every morning (eggs, bacon, bagels, danishes, toast, english muffins, cold/hot cereal, juices, flavored coffees). They also have a manager's reception in the evening (tortilla chips, salsa, frozen pizza, soft drinks) on the nights we were there. This is a great place if you have kids b/c they have suites with two televisions, a computer room, exercise room, breakfast and snacks. The hotel is very family-friendly. The customer service was excellent. We arrived early and were allowed to check in early; there was an area in the bathtub that needed to be recleaned (it was cleaned immediately). There are no restaurants in the hotel, but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Overall, nice, clean, place, great service, great value. If you're a AAA member, you can get it for $89.99. What a deal!

• Stayed: June 2006