Best Western Plus Hill Country Suites
Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk(San Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$162
  • Restaurant
Mokara Hotel and Spa(San Antonio)
US$367
US$185
US$179
US$356
US$314
  • Pool
Hotel Valencia Riverwalk(San Antonio)
US$221
Hotel Contessa(San Antonio)
US$364
US$356
  • Pool
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
US$157
US$244
US$150
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
US$293
US$251
US$388
US$337
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbest westernswaffleshill countryhot tubbiscuits and gravycomfortable bedsvery nice staysofa bedfree breakfastenjoyed my staycoffee makerbusiness tripeasy accesssea worldbwericawalmart
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Having just left a mediocre hotel at the Riverwalk, we were hoping for a better and newer property. This wa s not it. It looks like it attempted a remodel but it did not get rid of the smoke smell in the bathroom. ghe front desk clerk,Jason, tried very hard and was accommodating as possible. But lipstick on this pig doesn't help. The breakfast was okay but nothing special. The beds were listed as queen, but not that big. The bathrooms were big but sparsely furnished. The pool was okay but the hot tub was only lukewarm.

Should have stayed at Courtyard across the highway.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Excellent experience, staff was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great and had a variety of options. The bed was comfortable and clean. The room was very clean and fresh and the room was cleaned daily and the housecleaning staff did an excellent job.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2013

It was a regular room, nothing fancy. Strong urine smell as soon as you walked into the room, and the rest room was worse. Breakfast was bland, salt/pepper couldn't save it. Stayed there one night. I would not stay at this place again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

July 23 - July 26 2013 My family of 5 (3 kids) stayed at this hotel for a trip to Seaworld for our vacation. We were very surprised at how nice, clean, and very modern this particular Best Western is. The staff was exceptionally pleasant! Free Breakfast was very full filling with eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, waffles, bagels, yogurt, fruit! Couldn't ask for more!! Our room was very spacious especially with a family of 5! My husband and I had only one complaint about the beds being so uncomfortable. But Overall we would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We had a reservation under my husband's name. I had recently set him up with his own Best Western Rewards account because he travels for work. I myself am a BW Rewards gold member. I had not gotten around to setting up his reservation preferences, and inadvertently booked a smoking room.

When we entered the room it was awful, the worst I’d ever smelled in a smoking room at any hotel in the USA, even in the South where smoking rooms are the norm. My husband quit smoking last November and has been doing really well, and the smoky stench made him nauseous.

So we went to the front desk to ask for another room but the clerk said all they had left was a jacuzzi room at a higher rate. We didn’t care about the jacuzzi, we just needed a place to sleep; we were in San Antonio for business not to drink champagne and party in a hot tub. He told us the hotel was already at full occupancy and it was late in the day so I don’t see why he could not have given us the last available (non-smoking) room in the place for the rate we already had reserved.

To his credit, the clerk tried to find us a room at one other BW down the way but of course, they were sold out as well. He said his hands were tied and that he’d get in trouble if he didn’t charge us a $35 fee for leaving. So not only were we out on the street, but we got charged for stepping into and then out of a smelly, cigarette infused room.

We got in our vehicle, powered up the tablet and found a nice, clean SUITE for only $109 at a hotel not too far away. While I am still a Best Western fan, I doubt I will ever go back to this particular property.

Room Tip: This is NOT a non-smoking hotel; double-check your preferences before booking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
BWHCS, Manager at Best Western Plus Hill Country Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Our sincere apologies that you were booked for a smoking room. Ordinarily, we are able to change your room with no issue when we have rooms available. Unfortunately, we were completely sold out and we were unable to do so.... so sorry for that. Hopefully next time we will be able to accomodate your needs and we will be happy to upgrade you to make up for your cancellation fee assessed. Again, so sorry for the inconvenience and we hope you had a good visit in our city of San Antonio.