“Should of been better”

Best Western Plus Hill Country Suites
Ranked #108 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Had reservations for family to stay with rooms that to be together and a separate room. Well that didn't happen, the family ended up separated and on a different floor that originally asked for. Had an A/C that did not function properly, a microwave that was not working, hairdryer in another room. Showers were mildewed inn all 3 rooms. I could go on but....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWHCS, Manager at Best Western Plus Hill Country Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

So sorry you were not able to get rooms together, we try and accomodate requests to the best of our ability. All other issues have been addressed.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had everything we needed and were very comfortable. Even with our dietary restrictions, we had plenty of options to choose from during breakfast. The staff was friendly and available to help. The facility was well maintained. The location was very convenient to our particular needs. Access on and off of the highway took some getting used to, but overall it wasn't so bad.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

So happy you had a wonderful stay.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I are seasoned travelers and stay in hotels about 30/60 times a year. We are diamond members of Best Western - which means we stay at their chain a lot of times, during the year. We are looking for a comfortable bed, a safe environment, bug-free, clean towels and reliable WiFi. Weren't too lucky on any with our recent stay, here.

We checked in on Saturday afternoon (Jun 7), received our diamond member "gift" and went to our room - a nice-looking suite. We were surprised that the swing bolt was set so the door wouldn't close, but didn't think much of it. We set our computers down and tried to connect to the Internet through the hotel WiFi. No good. Our two iPhones, iPad, and two computers would not connect to the Internet. Not a big deal as we had to leave for an engagement. Got back at 1 AM, with no empty parking places - all completely full. Asked the front desk clerk what we should do - he said park your car under the porte cochere. We did. Up to our room with no Internet, again. It was late, so once again just brushed it off. Got up Sunday morning to no WiFi (we always travel with an Ethernet cable so we at least had Internet on one of our computers). Went downstairs to talk to the front desk (nobody would answer the phone) Came across an immature "sweet young thing". She giggled and said, "Yes, since they installed the new modem, WiFi is a hit or miss proposition." This young lady had no idea what customer service is. No suggestions on how we could fix "OUR" problem. Just keep trying (which I guess, is a suggestion). Since our car was parked under the porte cochere, I thought I'd move it into a now vacant parking spot. After I moved the car I, I walked in front of it and found a damaged front end. It appears (from the marks left on the license plate) that a vehicle with a hitch tried to park where our car was already occupying a space - pretty much crushed the license plate so I guess we got hit pretty hard. And here I thought that parking under the porte cochere would be about the safest place we could find to park.
Now back to the open door, upon our arrival. I took my shower and when finished I went to get a towel. THERE WAS NONE! We had one wash cloth and one hand towel. Obviously the room we were given wasn't released by housekeeping. I dried myself off with hand towel and went on a search for some towels.
Still no WiFi.
Tuesday morning, as we were preparing to leave, we were greeted with a HUGE roach! The kind you find in Florida that they call palmetto bugs.

So the bed was comfortable - check
Safe environment - fail (damaged vehicle)
Clean towels - fail (there were none) and the housekeeping lady I found didn't have any wash cloths on her cart! And this was early in the morning - I wonder what she was going to do for the rest of her shift?
Reliable WiFi - fail (none, until just before checking out on Tuesday morning)
Bug-free - fail (roaches)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhodeb

We appreciate the feedback. Please be assured that all your comments have been addressed.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I met my family here and was very pleased with the Suites. The staff was cheerful and eager to help with all of our needs. The children were able to use the pool which was well maintained and had floats and beach balls for them to enjoy. I would recommend this Best Western Plus for anyone visiting the area. It was close to a lot of area attractions.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Glad you enjoyed the beach balls! We thought it is a nice treat for the kids.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Hotel was pretty nice the service the breakfast. The only thing that the pool water was extremely cold it would be nice if they can have heated pool other than that everything was clean. The staff was very helpful and will make you feel very welcome.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We went to San Antonio, Tx to see our grand nephew play in a baseball tournament, on the run I booked the Bestwestern plus, on US Hyway 281 North, the rate was very reasonable and in my budget, The check in was very good, the clerk was very nice and helpful, we unloaded the van and left to watch the game, When we got back the clerk said how was your day, I said we had a great time at the game and we won, she said hope you have a good night. We got to our room and had a chance to unwind, the room was very nice, we had a king bed with separate seating area, the room had a very nice, no stall order. The bath was nice and clean, had plenty of water pressure and hot water. The king bed was nice and comfy. We had a very good nights sleep, even though our room was facing the hwy . We did not use the free breakfast, we sleep in, the check out was fast and easy, I had some travel cards and certificates, All was very good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

THanks for the feedback. Always helps to have.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My sister booked this room, then didn't show up, so I was stuck in a hotel I wouldn't have booked in the first place, but decided to make the best of it. The best of it was getting put into a new room after the first night because the first room had a toilet that wouldn't flush, and a leaking shower. We disovered the leak when my nephew, a toddler, busted his @ss on the floor in the foyer, which had flooded.
The second room was fine, quiet (away from the freeway). The beds are comfortable.
The shared spaces, like the elevators, lobby and dining area are pretty gross. There was a milkshake spilled on the elevator door that stayed there for hours.
The breakfast was okay if you managed to get there before everything decent was gone. First morning, there were some apples and yogurt, in addition to the eggs, biscuit and beans and stuff. A line for the waffle iron. On the weekend, they ramp up waffle production by putting out a 2nd waffle iron in the shape of Texas. But usually, there was no fruit, no yogurt, just the heart-attack producing bacon/sausage/egg/biscuit/gravy on the steam table. The milk for the cereal had curdled and the coffee was really bad.
Will not be staying there again, although it was fairly inexpensive and there's not much else around there.

Room Tip: On the pool side, away from the freeway, is quieter.