“Pleasantly surprised”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

In a group of six, and everything we ordered and saw at other tables LOOKED amazing. However, some of the dishes were short on flavor and a bit bland. I would go back and sample many different menu options though.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The pros list is short here. The patio is pretty and the inside decor is nice. Lastly, our waitress was EXCELLENT!!!
The cons: the ONLY thing I ate that had the taste and texture that it should have was a WHOLE bunch of cilantro in everything. I had the Texas Rolls which is an appetizer egg-roll type thing, and everyone raved about them beforehand. They were not great. The texture of the wrapper was great, but the inside had a tiny portion of what seemed like the worst parts of some under-seasoned and over-cooked brisket leftovers. The rest of the roll was stuffed with pico. Very underwhelming.
My husband had the Texas 2 Step Tacos (basically street tacos with brisket) and he stopped eating them after his 1st 2 bites were pure fat. My husband will eat ANYTHING and isn't picky with barbeque fat. For him to stop eating the meal it must have been TERRIBLE. He also complained that the "meat" tasted very very sweet.
Lastly, we shared the Brisket Flautas and they too were a let down. The corn tortilla shell was overcooked and the 2 inches on each end of the falutas was completely empty. Inside the middle was just brisket pieces...the same leftovers, reject meat as the Texas Rolls.
The place is a great outdoor patio place, but just get drinks (which aren't cheap) if you want to go for the atmosphere. The food wasn't great by any means and I'm SHOCKED that so many people have given it a high rating!!!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'd looked forward to meeting friends at the Two Step after a musical performance in the area, having fond memories of their food and outstanding margaritas. We met on a Sunday afternoon, late for the lunch crowd and early for the dinner crowd so the restaurant was pretty quiet.

I ordered an El Patron margarita and a dish I'd had previously, a half rack of ribs accompanied by an ear of corn (slathered with cotija cheese and lime). The half rack, which is very generous, comes a la carte so the corn was ordered separately. In our party of four, everyone ordered something different.

Our waiter appeared to be new and not at all familiar with the menu but we'd all been there before so we helped him along the process of ordering. Our drinks arrived and we settled in to converse and wait for our orders. And we waited. And waited. Finally our food arrived. While my husband's meal was smoking hot, mine was cold and I sent it back. When it returned it was hot, but the ribs were unusually tough. Texas ribs should fall off the bone. A couple of ribs in my jaw actually ached. And the corn appeared to have been a hold over from lunch, warm but quite shriveled.

Another meal, a steak served with a sauce, appeared to come without any sauce at all. We called over the waiter, who insisted the sauce was there. We asked for the manager who came promptly but also insisted the sauce was there, "under the steak," as he put it. Hard as we all looked, we didn't see any sauce. Note to management: when a customer who is paying a pretty steep sum for a steak advertised as served with a sauce, MAKE IT RIGHT. In other words, bring a dish of sauce!

My husband enjoyed his sausage dish but the jalapeño cole slaw (which we've all had before) was basically dry cabbage with little or no dressing at all.

I might have been able to handle all of this more gracefully if my margarita (goodly sized and very expensive) had at least given me a bit of a buzz but it obviously was watered. If the Two Step wants to hang on to their "best margarita" claim then they've gotta do a lot better than they did. This is San Antonio -- we know our margaritas!

I am so disappointed that one of my favorite places has so obviously gone downhill.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Tried a new place on Sunday. With the warm sunshine beating down in San Antonio, and being it's a Sunday, anted to quench my thirst and get a good home cooked meal. My wife and I were lured to Two Step restaurant and cantina by them having won the best margarita 2014 in San Antonio. We went for the El Hefe ! definitely a winner. It paired well the with bacon wrapped, brisket and habanero stuffed jalapeno appetizer. Winner number 2!! So far so great. We each then ordered the rib eye chicken fried steak and were launched into the food coma we were questing. Overall, it's a gotta check this one out. The service was awesome, along with the food and atmosphere! We felt vindicated by our decision and will return again for the fried beef ribs and venture into a BBQ coma!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great restaurant! The food is delicious and varied. They do have tacos and great BBQ but they also have other items on the menu that are just wonderful. I had the special which was a parmasean chicken wrapped around spinach with cheese. It was wonderful. They also offer an all veggie plate that my friend ordered. It looked great too. This restaurant is an old farm house and you can still see the old rafters and walls. The live music was great. This place gets packed but they do take call aheads. I did and they even sent me a text to remind me. Even though they were busy the staff was attentive and we never had to wait long. We will be back!