“Some bugs to work out but really nice”

Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #19 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Someone obviously spend a lot of money on this place...it is really nice. The rooms were fantastic but I think the staff is not used to having many guests and often seemed caught off guard with regards to service items. It is a good hotel and comes at a competitive price.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lowmaintenance89
Ellen_Seymore, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for choosing Eilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your getaway destination. We appreciate your comments and hope to greet you as a return guest in the very near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I reserved a King Suite at the Eilan for 3 nights over Spring Break to take the family to the SA sites. Upon first glimpse this hotel exudes opulence...Grand decor, a Stephen Pyles restaurant, resort pool, etc...when we were shown to our room all I noticed was the elegant furnishings stained with ?? filthy carpet, headboard, and couches.. An enormous shower and bathroom...but no shampoo or conditioner...went for a swim in the indoor pool and found NO towels and then spent 15 minutes trying to track down staff. A visit to the well-equiped fitness area with dirty floors and NO WATER was yet another let down.
I then provided feedback to the manager the next morning which left no change (except towels at the pool).
My other beef with this hotel is the layout..very poorly designed rooms and layout of ammenities.
Our bright spot to the Eilan was the Stephen Pyles restaurant...5+ star food with 3 star service.
The hotel is in a great locale, 15 minutes from downtown, 1 minute from Fiesta Texas, 15 minutes from Sea World, and great restaurants and shopping close by.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeremy W
Ellen_Seymore, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. This is not indicative of the service provided at the hotel. Your comments are being addressed with the staff. We hope you give us another chance when visiting San Antonio.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

What a beautiful resort - it had a great ambiance to it. Just driving up to it was a great view and sight to see. It's like a little town away from San Antonio. The inside of the hotel is built very nicely and decorated as such to comfort. The outside grounds were very nice and relaxing to walk through and around.

Loved my room - almost didn't want to come out of it because I was hooked on my robe and slippers! My bed was super comfortable and I could have lived in my shower.

The staff was very nice and accommodating as well as very friendly and catering to the smallest of my needs - even when I didn't ask.

The only feedback I have that the work out center was somewhat secluded in a portion of the hotel where one may not feel as comfortable as if it was off of a main lobby so to speak. You have to go through doors that take you to a type of utility hallway and then into the gym. Also, the gym machines where all facing away from the door. What that means is that you can't see who is coming in and may come behind you. Since I work out at 4am every morning, it did unnerve me a bit that I kept looking back just to be sure I was safe because I kept hearing a clicking type of beep that sounded like someone was entering, but never did.

Also, it seemed a bit awkward that you couldn't find general trash cans in the lobby or in the conference rooms. Yet, we were able to make due.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlexNRP069
Ellen_Seymore, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for choosing Eilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your destination while visiting San Antonio. We appreciate you taking the time to express your experience. Our 6000 square foot fitness center will be complete mid April. So we hope you get to try it out on your next trip.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Yes, it seems isolated in the empty "resort village" that's built around it. But I didn't care..that just made it even more quiet and peaceful. Brand new resort, very luxurious. Gorgeous marble bath, plush robes, very comfy bed, beautiful spotless room. I loved my balcony--the view was wonderful. I was traveling on business, but felt like I was on vacation. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Beachiz
Ellen_Seymore, General Manager at Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Thank you for choosing Eilan Hotel Resort and Spa while conducting business in San Antonio. We are anxious to welcome you back. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

As we pulled into the valet parking (there is a $25 valet fee), we were greeted by the attendants who were very friendly and helpful. Check-in was a similar experience - quick (but not rushed) and friendly. We elected to upgrade to a balcony room and were so glad we did. Our room had the following great features: crisp white linens, comfortable king bed, an ipod docking clock radio, plugs in the lamps (so you don't have to dig around behind the nightstands), Keurig coffee makers with pods (but there is a charge for the bottled water), extremely plush towels, toiletries, a Texas monthly to enjoy, free wi-fi (I think that's a part of the $25 daily resort fee), huge balcony with 4 oh-so-comfortable chairs that overlooked the beautiful pool area, workdesk, flat screen TV with extended cable selections (including HBO), a small refrigerator, a huge shower (with plenty of hot water but minimal pressure), nighly turn down service (yes, they remembered to fill the ice bucket), and even small recycling bins for sorting your trash. We were worried that we would hear noise from the front entrance and pool below us, but we never heard any outside noise.

We enjoyed happy hour at Sustenio. The staff was average -- not as friendly as in the hotel. The food and drink specials were wonderful. We'd go back simply for that! Room service for breakfast was on-time, accurate, and very courteous.

The only drawback to the hotel is that there's really not much to do nearby (but it is a short drive to The Rim and La Cantera). It's great for relaxing, don't get me wrong, but there is little else within the development itself. I believe it's only a year old, and I can see the possiblities, so I'm hoping the area will fill up eventually. Until then, it's great for a quiet and peaceful night away.

As others have mentioned, if we had stayed longer, a sundry/gift shop would be a much needed addition.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Eilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your destination while visiting San Antonio. We appreciate all your comments. We would be delighted to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I took my two children for a quick overnight and we had a lovely stay at the Eilan Hotel. The front desk was nice and although we entered from the wrong side (surface parking and then a bunch of steps and then additional steps when we reached the interior), the staff were welcoming. The room was gorgeous and the view overlooked the pool and the tennis courts (room 932). We ate in the hotel restaurant which probably wasn't the wisest choice with an 8 and 11 year old but they got the grilled chicken (children's portion). I ordered the rack of lamb and risotto. The complimentary chef's yogurt mixture was gross and it worried both me and the kids as to what we were in store for during the meal but once we got past that, the meals were tasty. The risotto was a little too al dente for me but it was flavorful and the lamb was delicious. The kids loved the chicken and the creamy potatoes. The young man assisting our waiter had his timing a little off as our bread selections didn't arrive until after our meals were cleared and my coffee had arrived but that's o.k. The ambiance was nice. The complex that the hotel resides is very empty. Hopefully retailers, wine and restaurants will join in. It's a huge complex and it's a shame there's not more there.

Room Tip: Our room was a standard room with a gorgeous view: 932
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing Eilan Hotel Resort and Spa as your destination while visiting San Antonio. We are delighted you and your children had a great time. Hope to have you return and stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We went to the Eilan hotel to surprise our parents for a very big wedding anniversary. Originally it was just send them out to the hotel, they live in San Antonio, have dinner and breakfast on us kids.
Then one of the siblings decided that it was better if he and his wife went to dinner as well. Next thing you know we are planning a drive to San Antonio.
The room reserved was a spa king. The spa part because the shower has the most wonderful rain shower in it. Although I am not so sure it was fully enjoyed by two at their age. The king part, I guess because of the bed.
The colors of the room are extremely soothing. Sea green and cream colors. Nice tv. We did get a complaint the the closet did not have sufficient hanging space. Although for overnight I am not sure how much space one needs.
Sustenio is the fine dining restaurant owned by Stephen Pyles of Dallas fame. About six months ago we met the chef and manager and were very impressed. Sadly both were gone on this visit.
For a party of seven we were put into one of the private alcoves that was very nice for conversation.
The southwestern menu is typical of Chef Pyles. The assortment of ceviches was very nice. Although they were put on the table without any explanation. We all ordered different things. The center cut cowboy ribeye was huge and swimming in sauce covered with onion straws. Cooked right just not the best piece of meat for $48
The others had lamb chops, excellent and fish so so.
The disappointment was in the lack of recognition of the big anniversary in any way. They offered a champagne toast then simply did not bring it. They poured wine like they were paying for it.
When desert time came I really thought they would have brought out a plate of something wishing happy anniversary. Nope.
I had to look over the bill closely for several mistakes, including charging $30 for a single malt by accident.
Overall I think chef Pyles needs to have a bit more hands on.
As far as the rest of the time there is a $25 resort fee. The workout facility will be very nice one day. However the machines were not connected to the tv nor were there headphones. No phone in the room for emergency.
To sum up, this will be a nice place to visit eventually, located near great shopping and a fun amusement park.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank PlanoTravler

Thank you for choosing Eilan Hotel Resort and Spa to surprise your parent's for their anniversary. We appreciate your comments and will share them with the staff. We hope to have you and your family visit us in the near future.