“Very Nice but Expensive with Hidden Costs”

Eilan Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #14 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We booked and paid for this resort for 3 nights using some point credits plus cash. It's a new resort and for an affluent clientele. The rooms and amenities are very nice. It is located next to Six Flags and Shops at La Cantera Pkwy. The property's own vendors & shops aren't occupied yet, however once they are, it will be like a small city with everything available at the resort. We used the pool and gym one day. Upon checkout we received a bill for $25 per day "Resort Fees" for the use of the amenities which includes the pool and gym. Most other hotels and resorts include the property amenities in the daily rate. I was a surprised and disappointed with the additional cost since we only used it one day and had already paid for the hotel in full. Those resort fees should have been included in the daily rate or should have been disclosed at the time of check-in.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We celebrated our 19th anniversary at Eilan when it was still working out the kinks, but the accommodations and service were terrific. So, we decided to come back for our 20th and see what was different or better this year. The service from valets (even though we self-parked they opened doors and helped load/unload the car) to front desk to concierge to room service was all excellent...just as before. The amenities have improved (completed fitness center and spa) although we still wish the Friday night dancing at iDance America was still there. This is a great getaway for couples from the kids -- and we have 5 of them. They made us feel welcomed and even sent an anniversary gift to our room. The primary criticism from this visit was housekeeping. Our room was not cleaned very well when we arrived. The next day when housekeeping came through again, they did a sub-par job of cleaning the bathroom and wiping down surfaces. I made this known to the front desk staff and was asked to comment at this website. Would we go back again? Sure.

3  Thank Robert L
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This time around I booked two nights at this hotel through Groupon Getaways. The staff was friendly and helpful. Only problem I had was with housekeeping our room wasn't cleaned the second night and it was around 8:30-9 p.m. at night when we had returned to our hotel room so I called the front desk to ask why it wasn't done and they said they were sorry but they could send someone up to do it. They did immediately send someone up and the guy told me the reason he hadn't done the housekeeping yet was because he was just now getting to our floor (9th floor) and asked me if I wanted him to do the housekeeping right then but since we had been out all day we were tired and just asked him to change the towels he was very friendly and the service was fast but they should have done the housekeeping a little earlier. Valet service is fast and friendly, the pool area is beautiful we had a blast swimming.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MVSICSPHERES
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel to stay at for our one year anniversary. We read some of the reviews prior to going and were a little apprehensive about staying. From the first minute we arrived at the hotel, everyone was extremely nice and helpful. While checking in, the front desk attendant asked us about our stay. We told her we were in town for our anniversary and proceeded to check in. We went up to our room and dropped our of things off. The room was impressive, definitely one of the nicest hotel rooms we have ever stayed in (no A/C problems as stated in previous reviews). After getting settled in, we decided to do a little shopping. When we returned later that night, we had a bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. We were completely surprised and were impressed with how good the champagne and strawberries were. We later asked and learned that the front desk attendant had them sent up for us. Excellent customer service.

Yes, many of the storefronts in the surrounding buildings on the hotel property are vacant. However, not even a five minute drive away there are the Shops at La Cantera and a fairly large shopping center with restaurants across the interstate from the hotel. This area is a pretty new development and will definitely continue to grow as time passes.

Overall this was an excellent hotel, and we plan to stay there on our return trips to San Antonio. The only negative comment we have about the hotel is that self parking is inconvenient. You will definitely want to do valet parking.

1  Thank Terry and Jody S
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This "resort" is set up on a hill overlooking Six Flags and right next to La Cantera mall. The hotel looks nice but just did not live up to my expectations of a expensive resort hotel. However, the staff was very friendly and very helpful. They really made the experience worth the money.

But the building seemed poorly made in that we could hear a loud draining noise in our room when it was raining. The bathroom and stall doors slammed together in our room and the sliding doors in our parents room would not remain open. The beds were nice but way too soft for my taste. The pool area also seemed nice but unfortunately we were unable to use it due to the weather.

I would say our biggest complaint was the food. We ate at the restaurant and was very excited to try some of the unique dishes. As a couple of adventurous foodies, we tried several different items on the civiche menu, a unique pressed duck appetizer, and one of their popular steak dishes. I would say we were unimpressed with every item. The restaurant had some interesting ideas but all the food was mediocre. We dine out a lot so our expectations are high and this place just hit average. Also, we got breakfast in the room one morning. It was not good and obviously very expensive given it was room service. I ordered stuff french toast but got plain, dry, bland french toast. My wife ordered a grapefruit and it was just a few mangled slices drizzled with some super sweet syrup.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My Husband and I went to Eilan for our anniversary in May 2013. The hotel was really beautiful, I loved our room and I'm a hotel snob. The receptionist gave us the wrong room at first, but was great about correcting it and getting us checked in after it was available. I chose the room with the upgraded decor. It was so gorgeous! We waited for the room by the pool and rented a cabana for the day which was so nice! Loved the service and my hubs loved watching golf in the cabana. They could be Ritz/Four Seasons quality if they trained the staff properly. They were not as professional as they could be, but given that the hotel is so beautiful it truly has the potential to be that great. To Owners: You have a diamond in the rough! Polish this property to meet it's potential!

I really only have one complaint about this place. The food is awful! I mean truly bad. The pool food was terrible as was the restaurant Sustenio. I mean, you have this amazing place and truly the food was bad! Even the breakfast was bad! What was that eggs benedict thing? It looked neat, but tasted terrible. The whole day before we were talking about how we should bring our friends there and have a group weekend and rent 3-4 cabanas next to each other and then after dinner, no way! There's no where else to eat there and we love good food. It really killed the experience for me. I know Stephen pyles is the head chef, maybe he should go over that menu again. I have to say that no place is worth eating bad food the whole time. Minus the food, I would go back 100%. With the food, I'll never go back again. BTW- If you don't care about food you will love this place! Also, spa was closed. Would have been nice if they had let me know before I went there. One more piece of excellent service that they are missing.

Room Tip: The upgraded decor room is so much prettier than the regular rooms!
4  Thank foodie-winelover
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel is well kept and maintained. Very comfortable beds, clean rooms. Nice grounds and pool. Excellent exercise area and heated lap pool. Relatively small suites for price. I felt a little cheated on the value. Valet cost 25/- per day to park car. Excellent valet personnel, ran to get your car and minimized wait. Self parking is some distance away making it almost necessary to use the valet. Sustenio restaurant had average food and below average serevice. Did not pay attention to detail. I would eat elsewhere in S.A. SPA was unavailable, I did not have breakfast here.

Room Tip: Be very particular in asking for a room that does not face another room in the opposite tower.