“Mainstay Suites Winnipeg Canada”

MainStay Suites by Ft. Sam Houston
Ranked #260 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I found the reviews on certain US Mainstay Suites Hotels intriguing and surprising . I travel a great deal. I had never stayed with this chain. I discovered them on line. It was the lowest price, very near the Winnipeg Richardson's Airport. The price was lower than two very questionable airport hotels. With trepidation I booked.
What a revelation. The foyer was wide, attractive and WARM (there was a blizzard outside). The staff too were warmly welcoming pleasant and efficient. The room was huge, crisply and immaculately clean with an enormous bed. The fully-equipped kitchen was more than any traveller could wish for.
A very large washroom; lovely thick white towels.
There is no in-house restaurant but it is so very close to the airport ; there is a shuttle service. I had to get to the airport before the shuttle van began; the hotel issued a taxi voucher.
I had enjoyed a wonderfully quiet night..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I booked a last minute trip to San Antonio with my boyfriend. I usually stay in well know hotels ... Hilton,Embassy,etc. but since it was spring break and last minute all hotels pricing was doubled. I used my bank rewards program and tried out Mainstay after review the guest room. I was thinking lesser quality for a good price of $79 was still a good steal. I was wrong And I will never stay here again. The hotel is located in the middle of a slumish neighborhood. Our restroom reeked with the smell of urine. The shower head stream was very dysfunctional. It came out in one stream as though it was a faucet and not a shower head. The bedding was a little stiff but that was manageable. At minimum I looked forward to the breakfast. I enjoy hotels with breakfast because at least that saves a few bucks on meals but the breakfast selection was very poor and nondesirable. Next time I will just spend the extra money.

Room Tip: Spend a little More for a trusted hotel chain. Peace is priceless
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tiffany A
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Just checked out today after a 3 day stay. It was spring break so hotel was full and a few noisy neighbors. Was close to downtown and Fort Sam Houston. My husband works for the State of Texas so we got a great rate (79.00 a nite). Was nice having a living room and kichen area. We made our own coffee each morning. Not a 5 star hotel..so free breakfast is pretty hotel typical for this price range. But having the suite with all pots and pans, plates..etc..you could cook if you wanted to. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Overall hotel seemed very clean. As for the area....yes you are next to a highway and other hotels..etc. I did not feel unsafe.

• Stayed: March 2013
Charlotte Y, General Manager at MainStay Suites by Ft. Sam Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words. All comments are shared with the entire staff and its encouraging to share comments such as yours. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments, we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed five nights here and I didn't get one night of good sleep. The beds were hard and unstable. The road and train noise was unbearable at night and doors slamming all hours of the night. Asked to be moved but was told I had to check back later, when I did I was told I was too late they had filled all the rooms. We tried the breakfast once, rubbery eggs, undercooked sausage and no fruit of any kind. Juices were so watered down I couldn't drink them. We had a room at the end of a hallway and we couldn't get internet. I asked if they could do anything about it and was told they had it at the front desk. The fact is the wireless signal is too weak to service the whole hotel. This showed as a three star hotel..It is NOT. Also this is not a very good area, had I been by myself I would not of stayed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I do not understand some of the poor reviews. The staff was excellent. I arrived early and there were no room available and the front desk people kept offering me things and a place to wait. The maid forgot to leave hand soap but came immediately when I requested it. She then asked about four separate time if there was anything else she could get me - very responsive. The room was beautiful, large, and well decorated. Very quite even with a full hotel during spring break. The wifi is very fast and streamed movies were good, and response time for the browser was great. This hotel is an excellent value for the money and was actually less than a budget hotel I stayed in earlier in the week.

Room Tip: I had a third floor corner room and the highway noise was present but very low and not bothersome. T...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights with my family and found the hotel to be adequate. The beds are really firm, which didn't suit my tastes particularly, but others may feel differently. The hotel is very clean and everything works properly. The staff is helpful if you have any needs. The free breakfast was ok, but nothing special. I didn't care for it so much.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel, while competitively priced, is no bargain. At first, the fact that the staff is a little absent-minded might seem a little charming. However, the poor quality of management quickly becomes a nuisance, if not a hazard--for example, the parking lot and pool lights are never turned on at night; the back and side doors are never unlocked--even during business hours--which leads to them being propped open by guests even during overnight hours, a clear security risk. We were placed in a room immediately above their conference room, subjected to parties during late hours held in said conference room, and then forced to leave our room for hours at a time during other events so that we would not "disrupt" them. The management reneged on several occasions regarding our payment for the room, telling us that we could pay on a monthly basis and then locking us out of the room midway through the month until we settled our bill; they also made unauthorized debits using our card on file to the tune of approximately $1000, which caused our card to be reported as fraudulant by our bank and our account frozen. The business center (which is included in the $1-a-day extra "Hotel Services Fee") is often on the fritz and completely useless, when it is not monopolized by a 13-year-old on Facebook. The wireless internet is usually slow (except when it doesn't work at all, since the hotel's internet service was cut off due to their nonpayment at one point during our stay). There are roaches at the coffee station in the lobby. Free breakfast? Hope you like soggy potatoes, kielbasa and fake eggs! Wednesday free dinner? Don't leave your kids unattended, since they leave large amounts of beer out with no accountability. During our entire stay (TDY to Fort Sam Houston July-September) our room was cleaned a total of three times, one of which was "forced" upon us in an accusing tone as if WE were not letting them clean our room! For a long time we tried to be good sports about it, but these minor issues would become increasingly disruptive. Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business