“I wouldn't recommend it as a family hotel, but bring your sweetheart and have a wonderful time.”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas Area, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We enjoyed the hotel very much; I would recommend the hotel to couples, but not families. It is directly on the river and Houston Street. We had access to the river and the city. The Buckhorn Saloon as well as the Alamo is within walking distance in summer. The atmosphere was romantic. The lighting in the lobby is very dark, almost too dark for the front desk area, but it creates a romantic feel to the entire place. The rooms have decent lighting so you are not completely in the darkened atmosphere all the time. We had a room with a courtyard balcony and enjoyed the privacy of the area. We did not eat at the restaurants and only had one drink in one of the bars. We brought our own wine to enjoy in the courtyard. It was a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Mgr150, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
hilliardtx,
We are happy to read about your enjoyable stay! Thank you for taking the time to post a review and thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We had an awesome time!!!! The rooms and hotel were in excellent condition, the staff and management were great and went above and beyond to assist us.

I will definitely come back.

Thank you Valencia for a great stay!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Mandy1205,
Thank you for staying with us! It is our pleasure serving you and we will be sure to make certain that your next stay is just as enjoyable!
Montreal
Reviewed 24 June 2011

With no kids in tow, I was looking for a boutique hotel for my stay in San Antonio.
San Antonio has an european flair , people are super nice and the food has improved a lot since my fist trip 15 years ago! It has also become more multicultural.

Cons:
- The front desk is not up too par with the standing of the hotel. Everything was complicated and they tried to charge me mini bar when I left.
- No pool , If you want one, go next door to the Holiday Inn
- Breakfast was so so and expensive. Go to Starbuck or Sip next door ( great croissant with ham, egg and cheese ) .
- However, the supper I had there was delicious
-Needs a PhD to figure the TV remote . No in room movies are available

Pro or Con, it depends !
- Dark lobby, dark rooms. If you are a reader at night, bring your flashlight.
However, the dark room had a cooling and relaxing effect after spending the day working or being outside at 100o+ F temperature

Pros:
- Nice rooms, very comfy beds.
- I had an inside room , so no problem with noise
- Great bathroom, very clean
- Not in the bustle of center Riverwalk but close enough
-Free Wifi

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank GMforever
GMforever,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Hotel Valencia. It was very detailed and informative. I want you to know we have reviewed anything that might be considered complicated by a guest at the front desk to improve the guest experiences. We did make 2 changes that may fall into that category. We hope to see you again in the future when traveling to San Antonio.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 24 June 2011

From the moment you enter the Hotel Valencia, you are taken in by the calming atmosphere, soft lighting , and overall ambience. The hotel staff was always helpful and any problem was resolved within a short amount of time. We LOVED the room with the soft lighting, hip, current furniture, comfortable beds, large bathroom, and a large balcony. Everything about this hotel exudes class and excellent taste. The location on Riverwalk and the restaurants overlooking Riverwalk are an added plus. There is a lovely courtyard where one can relax and have coffee, work, or visit. I am a fanatic about where I stay when traveling and this is at the top of my list and will only stay here when visiting San Antonio. A perfect 10.....

Room Tip: They do have rooms with a balcony or a Riverwalk.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Hotel_Mgr150, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
Judy0145,
It is a pleasure to be able to elicit such a great review from a travel fanatic such as yourself! Thank you for taking the time to post and for allowing us to be your hotel of choice when traveling to San Antonio.
Forney, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We have stayed at the Valencia twice in San Antonio. Most recently with my wife on a couples getaway. The place is very nice and has kind of that dark / modern art feel to it which I can take or leave. However, it is very nice. The rooms are clean with large comfortable beds. I read an earlier review on the fitness room. I visited the workout room twice a day on my three night stay. It was an excellent place to work out. They had good equipment, television monitors attached, water, and cool towels.

The real reason you visit San Antonio is the Riverwalk. The Valencia is far enough off the beaten path to afford everyone a the opportunity to get away from the party atmosphere when the night is done but close enough that it is an easy quick stroll to enjoy the pleasures of the Riverwalk.

The customer service was excellent. We were missing a coffee maker. Called the front desk and they quickly brought a replacement. When we asked for anything they brought us what we asked for quickly and with a smile.

We are from the country so I must say that the traffic noise from the city was the only drawback. However, that is unavoidable when you stay in a large city.

The Valencia was a great stay for us. We will be returning. I would recommend it to anyone visiting San Antonio to enjoy the Riverwalk.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rowedog
Rowedog,
I am pleased to hear that you are a new fan! There are a plethora of choices on the riverwalk and we do think that we are unique. Thank you for your helpful and detailed review. We're eager to see you again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This trip was a true cluster...The hotel claims to be a 4 star hotel. That is not true. VERY NOT TRUE. NO POOL, NO HOT TUB...

The fitness room is 10 x 10' at best. People standing in line awaiting their turn on machines in the hallway. The hotel website is using pictures from their remodel in the early 2000's. I stayed here in 2002 during the Alamo Bowl. It was by far nicer and the amenities were as they stated. I think someone needs to take over their website, update Priceline and Orbitz and add some truth to their advertisements!! Plus the parking was stated to be free after checking in it is $28 bucks a night!

I WILL NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank benbullard
Mr. Bullard,
I was horrified to see your review since I believed we had failed horribly. I then learned that it is full of misinformation. We did talk while you were on property and I noted that none of the things that you alleged in your review were promised by our website. You mentioned that maybe it was another website such as Priceline or Orbitz. These websites were not used by your reservation but I checked them anyway. Again the problem with not offering what we promised could not be substantiated on those websites either. You actually booked through Booking.com. That website was also checked and third try with the same result. It actually did mention the valet parking...at $29 per night, not free as you claimed was written. We did not have a renovation in 2002. We opened in January of 2003 and the photos we have on our website were created in late 2008. Also, the workout room is 20'x30' at it's largest area and 14'x30' at it's smallest. We have enough room to include 2 treadmills, dumbells up to 50 lbs, a bench, 3 free weight machines, 2 elliptical ("ski glide") machines, a seated exercise bike, with room for 2 aisles. Though we are in the business of hospitality, it sometimes becomes necessary to correct any misinformation if the guest will not correct it as we had discussed. We did not spread any untruths by posting any misinformation. Additionally, though we did check everywhere you mentioned you saw these unthruths, we have enlisted the help of a company who deals in looking at every website out there, to make sure there are not any untruths posted without or knowledge. I hope this will help assuage your concerns. I hope this information is helpful to our future guests researching where to stay.
Indiana
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Enjoyed our stay here. Far enough away from all the hustle & bustle but close enough
to get to the main area of the Riverwalk in a few minutes. Rooms were nice but watch out for the bed frame. Easy to catch your leg on as you round the bottom of the bed. Put a cover across the heavy wooden bed frame to protect our legs from injury. The mattress was one of the best we've ever slept on. Also stay on the non slip strips in the tub or else be ready to slip & slide. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: balcony room had obstructed view of cafe roof.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom070
Tom070,
I'm happy to hear your stay with us was enjoyable! I am sorry to hear about hitting your leg. We do have an aesthetically appealing platform bed and it appears to have interrupted your walking pattern. We do note issues like these to consider in future renovations. Thank you for posting a review of your stay.