“A wonderul experience!”

Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Humble, Texas, United States
“A wonderul experience!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Love the hotel and the staff were wonderful. I really recomended., and i take my hat off for how they take care of unexpected situation. very professional.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
wenola, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Carmen E,
Thank you for your review. We were happy to make your stay so pleasant!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Sandpoint, Idaho
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Upon arriving in San Antonio for business, I arrived at the Hotel Valencia. I was informed that the night before their building had been hit by lightning and they were going to be without power until later that night or possibly later. Everyone from the valet people to the front desk were apologetic, even though I knew it wasn't their fault. They had already made arrangements for me to stay across the street (at another nice hotel I might add), pay for the room and my valet parking. The next day I came back and checked into a quaint and comfortable hotel overlooking the Riverwalk with a staff who were exceptional. In addition, when I got back to my room that evening, there was a plate of fruit and a half bottle of wine as an apology. As far as I was concerned, none of this was necessary to apologize for a lightning strike, but they certainly went out of their way to make it a delightful experience and I would not stay anywhere else the next time I am in San Antonio. Top marks!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Riverwalk
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim P
Jim P,
Thank you for acknowledging our staff for going out of our way to make your stay delightful! The lightning strike was an unusual occurence and we just wanted to make sure that our guests who came into the situation were still treated hospitably. Thank you for promising to stay with us in the future. We welcome your arrival!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 17 May 2012

At least once a year I book a hotel in downtown San Antonio for either the wife’s birthday or our anniversary. Typically we try and stay at the better hotels, and I’m sorry to say the Valencia experience has been the worst we’ve experienced. I had never had an experience where the electricity goes out! Well, it did at the Valencia. Complete darkness. No AC. No hot water. We had to check out early the next morning, sweaty, dirty and had to cancel birthday plans for the day. I sent them a comment card and 2 weeks later I have not heard from them. I even signed up for their VVIP and nothing. And I dropped almost a grand with hotel, bar and restaurant expenditures. I figured at the very least, they would have responded to my comments. San Antonio has a plethora of awesome hotels on the Riverwalk and I would recommend others in lieu of the Valencia.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
wenola, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
I G,
We are deeply sorry for the lack of power to the hotel. Unfortunately, we were put in an uncontrollable situation. This is one of those "acts of God" you hear about on release of liability forms, contracts etc... I am sorry that our response to something like this was not good enough for you. It was not for lack of trying. Every hand was on deck to escort guests with lanterns and flashlights and get the hotel operational again. We also offered complimentary breakfast upon departure prepared at neighboring hotels and transported back. We did completely adjust room, valet, restaurant charges, bar charges, massages, and minibar charges for the day of the incident. As far as your VVIP sign up, your amenity benefits do begin on your second stay. I want to also apologize for not communicating with you after your comment card. I think we were under the impression that we had explained the resolution to the “lights out” situation and that maybe your credit and the credit of the other two people in your party totaling almost $1000 had not yet hit your credit card account when you had written your comment card. After double checking, I can say all 3 different credit cards used were issued credits. Now at this point, I want to say that maybe your dissatisfaction stems from the fact that we did not communicate our resolution to everyone in your party, especially yourself. I want to assume that reading this response will make you feel much better about our hotel. I want to assure you that regardless of your feelings after finally communicating our resolution, the result of your stay was not lost on us. Time is lost and cannot be regained. No matter how much we care and how much we did for our guests, the end result is that our guests were still uncomfortable, inconvenienced and they did not have the experience that was expected after this unforeseen situation. I do want to again offer a sincere heartfelt apology for not being able to please you in the end. I hope that after some times passes, we can get a second look from you and have the chance to regain your confidence in our hotel.
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We loved the dim lighting in the lobby and the relaxing scent throughout the hotel. The room was modern and beautiful, the staff were efficient and friendly. The location was perfect, everything is within walking distance. We leased a car but only used it to and from the airport. We could not have chosen a better hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pandedrew
wenola, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
pandedrew,
It was great to have you as our guest. Of course we do agree that you could not have chosen a better hotel! Please do come see us again!
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Wow, what a cool hotel. Some of the reviews on here say about the low light being a problem, but with the 100degree heat outside and dazzling sunshine it sits perfectly. Cool, modern, sleek, en trend, yet with the Spanish and hacienda feel whereever you may be in the hotel.
The design is fantastic, the location excellent and the staff are amazingly friendly & efficient.
The rooms are big and well equipped, the bathrooms are large too, and the lighting is just right. Whilst I was there we had a few storms and the hotel power was knocked out for a few hours, but this didn't phase the staff at all. Instant contingency plans kicked in and they were up and running. Couldn't have been friendlier or more efficient.
I will definitely go back to this hotel.
I'd booked 5 rooms for myself and 4 colleagues and everybody had a great experience.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
jandrewsesq,
You cannot imagine how incredibly happy we are to read your review! Thank you for taking the time to pass on all the kudos. We were affected by a lightning strike and we were proud of our staff's handling of the situation. It was a situation where our staff was able to shine in a situation that we did not have control of. Our employees really did care about everyone's well being and it apparently showed by your response. Thank you for staying with us and promising to come back!
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Let me start by saying this hotel is nice. This was my first time in San Antonio and I was told to stay here by the bride and groom of the wedding I was attending. The hotel amenities are nice, very clean, good size rooms, nice restaurants and bars, and good location. Its on the river walk, but far enough away from the action to be quite and relaxing at night.

My poor review stems from a particularly bad experience I had during my stay. While I was attending the wedding of one of my good friends, my laptop was stolen from my hotel room. Security seemed to be an issue at this hotel because a key card was required to access any floor above the mezzanine level - the bellhop told me this was because advertisers were littering the hallways with flyers, which at the time made sense.

After contacting the front desk, the housekeeping manager ran an audit on my hotel room lock and determined that no one entered my room during the time I stated the laptop was stolen. However she did mention that "the doors occasionally appear to slam shut, but actually do not lock." I was not too shaken at the time because I figured hey, these things happen, thats why people have insurance. I had the police come and make a report, and I was told that the hotel's insurance would get in contact with me.

They did, but they basically told me it was my fault because I didn't put my laptop in my safe or check it with the front desk - my laptop would not fit in the hotel room safe and why bring a laptop if you have to check it with the front desk every time you want to do work. They also insinuated that I may never have even had a laptop in the first place. Being a lawyer, I understand their position, but that does not change the fact that I payed almost $700 to stay at the hotel for the weekend and I am now out an additional $1500 MacBook Pro.

I am still in contact with the hotel's insurance, but my efforts seem to be moot. What I don't understand is why the hotel didn't offer to comp any portion of my stay. It seemed as though this was business as usual for the hotel; this was likely not the first time this had happened. I will likely return to San Antonio to visit my friend and his new wife, but I will certainly not stay at the Hotel Valencia. They lost a customer for life, as well as a sound referral source.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dave B
Dave B,
I am sorry that your feeling of our hotel was dampened by our handling of your laptop claim. It seems that we did a lot of things right independent of your mention of an incident, and obviously we were quick to respond and did follow the proper channels for your claim. It's apparent that this action was not enough. We do appreciate you acknowledging the opposite point of view from the insurance company in regards to lack of evidence in this claim. Reading the locks and inspecting the area did not result in any evidence of theft. Nevertheless, we can appreciate that you were certain that you did have it and it did disappear due to no fault of yours. I think that it would be appropriate to contact our Hotel Manager to give you a better answer than "sorry, it's not our fault". He is expecting your call. Insurance is black and white, but we are in the hospitaility industry and I think we can move into some middle ground where we can show that we are empathetic towards your plight even if there is not any evidence of foul play. As a side note, the elevators are locked out for the general security of our travelers. We do this so security does not become an issue, not as a result of a security issue. Our female travelers appreciate this feature the most. The doors absolutely lock, especially if they slam. It is not unusual though for someone to not have the door latch as they exit if the door is held. Overall, I think the fact that we admittedly bungled the response proves that this is not business as usual, but rather an anomoly. I apologize once again and assure you that our response from this point forward will be more to your liking.
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Prime location! Very friendly and helpful staff.
When you first walk into the hotel it is extremely dark and finding the lobby and reception desk is not easy. Reception is on the second floor and finding your way to the elevator in a dark room, pulling your suitcases and other belongings is not easy. The reception area itself is also quite dark, although by the time you get there your eyes have had chance to adjust. The lightening in the guest areas is much better, thankfully.
The rooms themselves were quite spacious and had everything needed for a short stay. The bedroom area was very clean, however the bathroom could have been better, as there were a few stray hairs etc on the counter and in the tub.
The restaurant's breakfast was delicious, but extremely expensive ($100 / 4 adults)
The few draw backs were not enough to make our stay uncomfortable and your definately getting your moneys worth as far as location and view, with riverwalk assess just steps from the door and The Alamo and market areas only a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Don't worry about getting a Riverview. You have a hard time seeing the river anyway as you must...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
JPC-ontario,
It sounds like you greatly enjoyed your stay, but the lighting did put a damper on things. The lighting was designed to create ambience, yet we can understand that it is not for everyone. The bathroom may have been overlooked and we do apologize for that. As far as breakfast, the food is award winning and we try to accomodate a big variety. Charges can run the gamut from under $10 per person to $22 or so. It's all a matter of the experience you want to have! Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you again!