“beautiful, peaceful surroundings” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Fairmont OK
“beautiful, peaceful surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed for 5 nights last month and it was a treat. The staff was very attentive. The room was very comfortable, and we rested well. The hotel breakfast was great, and nice to sit outside in the wintertime and enjoy the open air. The decor is dark and rich---very soothing to me. The door staff very friendly and helpful when it came time to bring our car. The desk staff was quick to point out a computer for guest use and help to get it operational. Only disappointment--no pool or hot tub. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet and comfortable, sorry I don't remember the number.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarciaRFairmontOK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
McAllen, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Great hotel and amazing location. However, over priced for a hotel without spa facilities. The hotel offers a full menu with a "spa"...but only has a massage "room." We could hear men grunting in the exercise gym as we received our "relaxing massage" since the massage room or "spa" was located IN the gym...not what we expected. The masseurs were contracted and brought in their portable tables...the price was the same or higher in what you pay for an amazing spa with all the facilities.... They should advertise contracted massages....not a spa...unless they make one that is up to standards...especially since this is an upscale hotel...don't get cheap with the spa. Otherwise, the rooms are great...and location is good for the river walk and the theatre. Watch out for the bed frame at night...you can easily bang your shins or legs...they protrude and are sharp.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have stayed at the Valencia about 2 years ago. My recent trip I was very surprised on the drop of quality in service. It went from top notch to average. A couple of the items that were bothersome. 1. Check-in - I tried to check at 3 pm but they did not allow me to check in until 4 pm. They did allowed me to check my bags. I find this check in time strange since a lot of hotels in Times Square have a lot more people at them with an earlier check in time. If you need to catch a dinner at 5/530 like in my case, you feel rushed after flying all day. My suggestion is to hire some additional staff to allow for check- in around 2/3 pm. Also having to wait to check-in behind 4 to 5 other guests with a check-in rate of about 10 minutes, that’s a long time to wait. They need to get more people working the desk instead of 1 person. 2. Smoke smell in a non-smoking room - After coming back at 4 pm, they sent me to my room and it smelled like smoke in a non-smoking room. I told them and they changed my room but this goes back to number 1, if you need a later check in time, make sure all the room are ready. I know it's not the hotels fault for a guest smoking in the room, however they should ensure the new guest do not experience that problem 3. Room service - had zero problems . 4. Check-out - I ensured that zero staff could enter my room by keeping on the "no disturbed" sign on the door my entire stay. At check out, on the bill there were several mini-bar charges which I did not have. I also did not take a mini-bar key. I asked how this could be possible since zero staff should not have entered my room since checked-in or they entered the room with the do not disturb sign on the door when I was not there. They did not have an answer and I did ask if the bar had sensors like Vegas and they stated no. That's one thing to watch. 5. Flagging a cab - after checking out they got my bag and told them we needed a cab. After waiting ten minutes I asked if they called a cab. They stated that the cab is busy and will be here in about 5 minutes. It took about 20 minutes to finally get into the cab. When driving to the airport I asked the cab driver when he received the call and he stated about 4 minutes prior to picking me up. Basically indicating that they did not call a taxi until I said something the second time.
Rooms are nice, but street side is loud in the am so don't expect to sleep in past 9 am. Get a room toward the court yard. I probably will not be staying here during my next visit unless the service improves.

Room Tip: Rooms are nice, but street side is loud in the am so don't expect to sleep in past 9 am. Get a r...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zfelda
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

We made a last minute decision to travel to San Antonio for a couple of nights. I had been there once before and thought we wanted to stay right on the river walk. I seldom book destination hotels but I think this one was great and for a reasonable price. Also it was spring break week-end!
Physically the hotel seemed to be in perfect repair, of course immaculate, and beautifully decorated. It was in a great spot on the river. Go one direction, on the walk, for the crowds and the other, our favorite, for a quieter walk. But what made the stay dynamite was our bellman, Johnny "Mermaid". Johnny did much more than assist us with our bags to our room, get us settled in our room, and get us some ice. He read me perfectly as being a practical (cheap) person, took the amount of time we would be staying, and suggested many things we might do on a practical budget. He was an exceptional start to a very nice little get-away!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blancacasa
winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

The Valencia is right on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. It was so great to walk out of the hotel and be able to get to many of the attraction on foot. There are great restaurant with in walking distance.
The hotel itself was a little on the dark side if you wanted to read before bed but other than the lighting it was a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank k_kiziak
Delafield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

We chose this hotel on location and balcony facing river walk. Normally we lean toward historic but insist on comfort. Modern interior not us but only the style,lighting and drawers were minimal. Great location, cleanliness,bed, service, food and staff. We stayed a week so stepping outside via balcony a must. Did not meet one surly person- all were very accommodating. Drawers in room minimal? Okay for business traveler but not for a couple who admittedly do not travel light. Easy day trip to Austin, Fredricksburg, Greene and Hill country and Starbucks two-doors down. Very pleased.

Room Tip: This end of Riverwalk very quiet. Rooms appear to be differentiated by whether to balcony or not. Th...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynda H
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very good hotel with fantastic location close to the main street with Bohanans literally across the street and all shopping venues as you step out from the hotel.
The hotel has a certain charm, is not very practical for handicapped person considering the stairs at the entry.
The amenities are what you can expect from a hotel of this standard, nothing to say, but the rooms are just OK, actually a complete lack of personality, but since sleeping is the main activity, it does it's job adequately.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business