“Not bad, but disappointing.”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #6 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Our first impression was an incredibly bad stench, like sewer water, when we opened the door to our room.
Reviews I had read by others proved true. The room was dark, and the corner ends of the bed, are unforgiving to feet in the night.
The service we received was not rude, it was just incredibly snow. We waited hours for a rollaway bed to be delivered. A delivery we received from a local business went missing.
Our room had not been vacuumed well. There was a French fry and a used bandaid on the floor under the side of the bed.
We tried to book somewhere else but this being Spring Break we were out of luck.
They did clean our room and fix the smell issue. We were offered another room on a different floor, but the windows did not open, and the room smelled of smoke, so we returned to the third floor room with a nice balcony overlooking the River Walk.
The location is great. The hotel is central to everything we wanted to do. On departure we stood outside for 10 minutes with our luggage waiting for our ride. None of the curbside staff offered their services or asked if we needed a cab or assistance. They were all distracted by a truck being towed.

Stayed: March 2014
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear BrownieCrumbs,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Valencia Riverwalk on your recent trip to San Antonio. After reading your review and all the issues you had, I feel the 3 star rating is gracious on your behalf. It is very disappointing to see our team could have allowed so many issues to occur and I, on behalf of my entire team, apologize for the poor experience. I have met with all department managers and their associate to address the specific issues.

While the shift manager had already let me know about the issue with your room, I appreciate to taking the time to make us aware of the other issues you experienced so that we can address them and improve our consistency.

I assure you we are better than this and hope you will consider staying with us again when you return to San Antonio. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to help restore you confidence in us.

tfreeman@valenciagroup.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,190)

Reviewed 14 March 2014

If you have never been to this hotel restaurant before, you would give it an "average rating". I rated it that way too but, in all actuality, I'd rate it lower. This because I know what it once was! The now gone paella buffet bar was awesome. I'd brought many a friend and family member there to experience the delicious melding of flavors simmering together in garlic and wine...if you so choose! That was the beauty of it, you could choose your ingredients and if allergic or you don't like an item, you simply don't ask to put it in! The personalized touch of having your paella prepared right in front of you, served up simmering hot (instead of mushy and warm) was the attraction; not to mention always having a clever choice of several salads as well as a gourmet soup and all for around $10.00! Now, prices have gone up substantially and the paella is already made, served from under a heat lamp. Needless to say, not very good at all! Only one salad, two other meats also sitting for a period of time. Now, yes, dessert choices have been introduced. Before, I never, ever had a dessert simply because of obvious reasons, the paella bar was so wonderful, the salads so plentiful and delicious, and I ate every bite. I simply didn't have room for it! Today, for my money it's a bland, blah experience; when it used to be a destination spot; delicious and unique. Still, the staff is a delight and the ambiance upscale. Just too bad the food taste is at best, average.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Debitthompson,

Your repeated patronage in Citrus is greatly appreciated. Your feedback is very important to us and we will take it into consideration as we move forward. We apologize for the disappointing dining experience. While we have made changes, they have been, for the most part, popular with our repeat lunch guests. It appears what you experienced was a failure in execution. I assure you we will take your feedback and improve our consistency.

I feel confident that if you were to give us another opportunity, we would see improvements we have made to the buffet. We hope to see you again and hope this is not your last impression.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It's relatively small. Initimate. And has a great bar. It has a spa-like atmosphere with some beautiful indoor and patio fountains. Has a few rooms that open up to an inner courtyard and is on the riverwalk so everything is in easy walking distance. Well worth checking out. Found the front desk staff a bit aloof and housekeeping needs a small bit of improvement but overall its a great place to stay although the overnight parking charges are steep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear ChrisinSOCA,

We appreciate you staying with us and thank you for the 5-star review. It is disappointing to see your comment regarding the Front Desk and Housekeeping. We apologize for the shortcomings you experienced and we will take the opportunity to work on our consistency.

We hope you enjoyed everything about your trip to San Antonio and hope you'll make it back soon. Let us know if we can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is on a relatively quiet part of the Riverwalk. And the rooms are quiet and of reasonable size. The staff is really helpful and they know a good deal about San Antonio. The one point I would make that could be a negative is that the place is dark - -really subdued lighting everywhere even in the rooms. This is not necessarily bad -- but I alwways felt like I would bump inteo something -- it is that dark.

Room Tip: The Acenar restaurant below the hotel has excellent food. It is 'tex-mex' and some unusual...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear QQ1234,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk and taking the time to complete your review. It means a lot that you took time to mention the helpfulness of the staff.

We hope to see you in the hotel again the next time you make it down from D.C.. Please let us know if we can be of assistance until then.

Sincerely

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The entire staff was wonderful. I received a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates for my birthday. This hotel had the best service. I had stayed at the Hilton in the past in DC and the service was terrible. When I go back to San Antonio, Hotel Valencia will be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: We stayed in a regular king size bed room. Since we are not the type to stay in a room all day it w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear picktay,

We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and really appreciate the 5-star review. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.

We hope its not too long before you make it to San Antonio again. We'll look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel & staff are very nice. The main problem is the darkness of the hotel rooms. Dark furniture, blinds & poor lighting is a hazard! I hit my leg on the edge of the bed 3 times causing a puncture on my knee and bad bruising down my leg! Not good! Please get better lighting or lighter colored furniture!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Bridget F,

We are glad you had the opportunity to stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to mention our staff. We apologize for the experience you had with guestroom lighting. While we are consistently known as the most romantic hotel on the Riverwalk, we understand that we should more light available for those who prefer it. We are currently experimenting with different lighting options and hope to roll something out soon.

We hope you will see you in the hotel again the next time you make it to San Antonio. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Did not started well.
Upon arrival, I was told twice to go around the block by 4 valet parkers as there was no room for welcoming new checkins. I noticed there were more than 6 vehicles parked blocking access to the lobby an nobody tending to these cars.
At breakfast, when presented the tea selection tray, it was half empty .
Elevators were capricious, toilet was barely flushing in my room.
No fresh mint for a mojito on sunday night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear jeanvacances,

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your experience. It is disappointing to see you had an overall poor experience in our hotel. Every aspect of your stay is important to us and we apologize for falling short on the service provided, in so many areas. These are not issues you should expect to have when staying with us.

Please be assure that we will take your comments and improve our consistency. We hope to see you in the hotel again. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to recover your confidence in us.