“Lovely Romantic Getaway”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Attended the Valencia over spring break this March with my boyfriend. We both could only take off two days and wanted to go somewhere with the hotel being as much of the attraction as the surroundings, because we planned to spend a lot of one on one time together that we don't get w kids around and to celebrate his birthday. This is the first time we had "splurged" on such a pricey hotel but we both walked away feeling it was worth it and just what we needed.
The first thing was getting there, which can take just about all your patience due to the valet being right in front of the hotel on a busy street, not w a driveway like area that most hotels have upfront far from the street. Only two or three cars can pull up at a time, leaving guests and everyday San Antonians in backed up traffic that can take 20 mins to go the length of a block. At $29 a night to valet, parking across the street and around the corner is a faster ( if u don't have a lot of luggage) and cheaper option. Valet was helpful and prompt once they got to you in line.
Check in was quick and simple, we saved using the SAVE San Antonio pricing and had called a week before to ask for certain amenities like high from the street to avoid noise, late check out and if available a handicap accessible bathroom because they are larger and we didn't need a tub. We also got there way ahead of schedule and our room was ready a whole 4 hours before check in time. Check out took longer but that was the time of day w others all trying to check out at the same time.
The hotel itself in quite beautiful, neat bar and restaurant w plenty of seating indoors and out for guests to mingle and kick back. Ambiance music and dim lighting really make you feel that this is a special trip and help you get into a romantic mood.
Our room was on the 8th floor and had a very comfy bed and nice touches like a huge full length mirror and Katz coffee, which coincidently is the brand used at our favorite independently owned coffee shop where we live! The spacious bathroom ( handicap accessible) was white marble, had two shower heads, one hand held, and a good sized shower seating area that defiantly put some romantic ideas in our heads.
The minibar and honor bar were both stocked full but I'd walk to the CVS on the river a few blocks down before buying a $4 12oz Sprite. Yes the lighting was quite dim but that's one of the reasons we chose this hotel. Our view was pretty good and the shutter like windows were an added romantic touch.
Returning from dinner down the river, there was a bottle of wine and two glasses waiting in our room. After calling down to the desk we found it was a complementary gift for my boyfriends birthday from the hotel! It did take several calls for a wine opener but it was late and hey the wine was free :)
We never had any noise issues, you can hear people in the halls but nothing from any other rooms. Hope the same can be said about us from our neighbors, because the entire vibe of the hotel makes it hard to not get lost in the romance of it all and get a bit carried away haha.
We both agree we would stay here again, it was perfect. I did leave w several bruises from hitting my shins on the edge of the bed as others have previously reviewed, and do call your valet a good 15 min before leaving because it's gets pretty busy. The computers by the lobby and printer came in handy for some quick printing we had to do, and when we realized we left a charger at home we left one of the phones at the from desk charging on a hotel's charger. Wish they had a pool and hot tub, you can see the neighboring hotel's pool from the windows by the elevator and get a bit envious but still worth the high dollar for a romantic break from real life.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel H
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Rachel H,

Thank you for staying with us on the Riverwalk and taking the time to share your experience with others. It means a lot that you mention the staff.

It's disappointing to see the amenity caused such an ordeal and I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. It usually goes a lot smoother than that.

We hope to see you in the hotel again the next time you make it over to San Antonio. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance until then.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Valencia Riverwalk

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Our first impression was an incredibly bad stench, like sewer water, when we opened the door to our room.
Reviews I had read by others proved true. The room was dark, and the corner ends of the bed, are unforgiving to feet in the night.
The service we received was not rude, it was just incredibly snow. We waited hours for a rollaway bed to be delivered. A delivery we received from a local business went missing.
Our room had not been vacuumed well. There was a French fry and a used bandaid on the floor under the side of the bed.
We tried to book somewhere else but this being Spring Break we were out of luck.
They did clean our room and fix the smell issue. We were offered another room on a different floor, but the windows did not open, and the room smelled of smoke, so we returned to the third floor room with a nice balcony overlooking the River Walk.
The location is great. The hotel is central to everything we wanted to do. On departure we stood outside for 10 minutes with our luggage waiting for our ride. None of the curbside staff offered their services or asked if we needed a cab or assistance. They were all distracted by a truck being towed.

Stayed: March 2014
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear BrownieCrumbs,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Valencia Riverwalk on your recent trip to San Antonio. After reading your review and all the issues you had, I feel the 3 star rating is gracious on your behalf. It is very disappointing to see our team could have allowed so many issues to occur and I, on behalf of my entire team, apologize for the poor experience. I have met with all department managers and their associate to address the specific issues.

While the shift manager had already let me know about the issue with your room, I appreciate to taking the time to make us aware of the other issues you experienced so that we can address them and improve our consistency.

I assure you we are better than this and hope you will consider staying with us again when you return to San Antonio. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to help restore you confidence in us.

tfreeman@valenciagroup.com

Reviewed 14 March 2014

If you have never been to this hotel restaurant before, you would give it an "average rating". I rated it that way too but, in all actuality, I'd rate it lower. This because I know what it once was! The now gone paella buffet bar was awesome. I'd brought many a friend and family member there to experience the delicious melding of flavors simmering together in garlic and wine...if you so choose! That was the beauty of it, you could choose your ingredients and if allergic or you don't like an item, you simply don't ask to put it in! The personalized touch of having your paella prepared right in front of you, served up simmering hot (instead of mushy and warm) was the attraction; not to mention always having a clever choice of several salads as well as a gourmet soup and all for around $10.00! Now, prices have gone up substantially and the paella is already made, served from under a heat lamp. Needless to say, not very good at all! Only one salad, two other meats also sitting for a period of time. Now, yes, dessert choices have been introduced. Before, I never, ever had a dessert simply because of obvious reasons, the paella bar was so wonderful, the salads so plentiful and delicious, and I ate every bite. I simply didn't have room for it! Today, for my money it's a bland, blah experience; when it used to be a destination spot; delicious and unique. Still, the staff is a delight and the ambiance upscale. Just too bad the food taste is at best, average.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Debitthompson,

Your repeated patronage in Citrus is greatly appreciated. Your feedback is very important to us and we will take it into consideration as we move forward. We apologize for the disappointing dining experience. While we have made changes, they have been, for the most part, popular with our repeat lunch guests. It appears what you experienced was a failure in execution. I assure you we will take your feedback and improve our consistency.

I feel confident that if you were to give us another opportunity, we would see improvements we have made to the buffet. We hope to see you again and hope this is not your last impression.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It's relatively small. Initimate. And has a great bar. It has a spa-like atmosphere with some beautiful indoor and patio fountains. Has a few rooms that open up to an inner courtyard and is on the riverwalk so everything is in easy walking distance. Well worth checking out. Found the front desk staff a bit aloof and housekeeping needs a small bit of improvement but overall its a great place to stay although the overnight parking charges are steep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear ChrisinSOCA,

We appreciate you staying with us and thank you for the 5-star review. It is disappointing to see your comment regarding the Front Desk and Housekeeping. We apologize for the shortcomings you experienced and we will take the opportunity to work on our consistency.

We hope you enjoyed everything about your trip to San Antonio and hope you'll make it back soon. Let us know if we can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is on a relatively quiet part of the Riverwalk. And the rooms are quiet and of reasonable size. The staff is really helpful and they know a good deal about San Antonio. The one point I would make that could be a negative is that the place is dark - -really subdued lighting everywhere even in the rooms. This is not necessarily bad -- but I alwways felt like I would bump inteo something -- it is that dark.

Room Tip: The Acenar restaurant below the hotel has excellent food. It is 'tex-mex' and some unusual...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear QQ1234,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk and taking the time to complete your review. It means a lot that you took time to mention the helpfulness of the staff.

We hope to see you in the hotel again the next time you make it down from D.C.. Please let us know if we can be of assistance until then.

Sincerely

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The entire staff was wonderful. I received a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates for my birthday. This hotel had the best service. I had stayed at the Hilton in the past in DC and the service was terrible. When I go back to San Antonio, Hotel Valencia will be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: We stayed in a regular king size bed room. Since we are not the type to stay in a room all day it w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear picktay,

We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and really appreciate the 5-star review. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.

We hope its not too long before you make it to San Antonio again. We'll look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel & staff are very nice. The main problem is the darkness of the hotel rooms. Dark furniture, blinds & poor lighting is a hazard! I hit my leg on the edge of the bed 3 times causing a puncture on my knee and bad bruising down my leg! Not good! Please get better lighting or lighter colored furniture!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Bridget F,

We are glad you had the opportunity to stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to mention our staff. We apologize for the experience you had with guestroom lighting. While we are consistently known as the most romantic hotel on the Riverwalk, we understand that we should more light available for those who prefer it. We are currently experimenting with different lighting options and hope to roll something out soon.

We hope you will see you in the hotel again the next time you make it to San Antonio. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.