“Valencia Proposal”

Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Valencia Proposal”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Valencia because I had heard amazing things about the beauty of the hotel, and I was not disappointed. I went to San Antonio with my girlfriend and was planning to propose. I was unsure of what the hotel staff could do to assist me with my plans so I sent them an email. Within a couple hours the assistant front office manager, Wayne Stout, emailed me back. From the second he emailed me, to the second I proposed he was by my side. I had never experienced such a high level of customer service before. For about a month, Wayne and I emailed back and forth trying to set up and plan a Cinderella themed proposal. Except for a few minor details everything was set for the proposal by the time I came up to San Antonio. When I arrived at the hotel the valet service was wonderful and quick to get my luggage taken care of. I had originally booked the courtyard room, but Mr. Stout had surprised me and upgraded my room to the river walk view junior suite! I had never seen such a gorgeous room. As we walked in music was playing, the lights were dimmed low, and the room had the perfect romantic view of the river walk. Mr. Stout was kind enough to meet with me that day to do a practice run of the proposal. On the night of the proposal Mr. Stout stayed hours after his shift to help make sure everything ran smoothly as we had been planning, and I am happy to say, it went perfect. I went to San Antonio with a plan, and thanks to the Valencia Hotel and Mr. Stout, I left with a fiance. I cannot think of a single complaint. The atmosphere, beautiful scenery, delicious room service, and unbeatable customer service leave no question in my mind that I will never stay anywhere else other than the Hotel Valencia.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank skoch4717
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear skoch4717,

We are honored for you to have chosen us for such an important occasion. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We truly enjoy make special occasions like this even more special.

Thank you for recognizing the team!

We look forward to seeing you when you return! Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Trent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a college girlfriend's weekend in mid March 2014. This was a super location, since we didn't have a car. So close to all the great restaurants and shops along the Riverwalk. The hotel was clean and beautifully appointed. We often met in the lobby before we began our day; the lobby and seating areas on the 2nd floor were very nice. Room key was needed in the elevator to access our room floor, so we all felt very safe. The only thing I didn't care for was the lighting, or lack thereof, in the rooms. There were several lamps, but they had low wattage bulbs. We also had a problem with our low-flush toilet, and ended up moving to another room after 3 calls tom Maintenance. Otherwise, we had a very nice experience, and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Antonio.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear KimRochester,

We are happy to have had you stay with us at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk. While it's a pleasure to see you had an enjoyable stay, It's disappointing to see you had an issue with the plumbing but it's great to see it was handles properly. We strive for perfect.

Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to see you in the hotel again if your travels lead you back to San Antonio. Please let us know if we may ever be of assistance until then.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of visiting SA for the first time. My wife chose this hotel based on its reputation for being the most romantic and it's location on the river. Personally I think the best thing about this hotel was their staff. They really go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. However, I will say that I was a little disappointed about a couple of aspects of the room. Just like many people have mentioned...the rooms are dark. Which isn't really a big problem until you drop your sunglasses on the floor and you can't find them! The big thing for my wife and I was around the bath tub. The anti slip strips were only partially adhered to the tub which made for an unsafe situation as well as an area that couldn't be cleaned properly. In addition, the tub was extremely slow draining which meant that by the time the shower was done you were standing in 4" of water. It was obvious the drain needed cleaned. In addition there were just several other little things that "cheapened" up the room like broken wood blinds and carpet edges staring to unravel. It just didn't feel as cared for as a room which cost this much should have been. I am sure that my wife and I will be back to SA in the future, but we will have to ponder whether we stay here again. Hopefully the rooms get a little TLC!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Roger H,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a detailed review. It's great that you have taken the time to mention our staff. It means a lot to all of us.

I apologize for the many issues you had with the condition of your guestroom. It's disappointing to see that we had a room in such condition and I assure you we have identified and addressed the condition of the room you stayed in, in addition to tightening up our inspection process. Please feel confident that, should you decide to return, you won't have the same experience.

We do hope to see you in the hotel again when you return to San Antonio. Let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you in the mean time.

Kincardine, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We arrived early and inquired if we might be able to check in and were told they would put a rush on getting the room ready. An hour later when we checked back, they said it was ready. Unfortunately, the room had no balcony as initially booked. We were told to wait in the room and there would be another room ready for us on the riverside with a balcony. Over an hour later we called the front desk and were told it would only be another few minutes. In hindsight, we should have asked for a time frame as we could have gone and enjoyed some sights instead of staying in the room waiting. The balcony room was lovely, modern, clean and comfortable. Having a balcony over the river is amazing. The staff here are very professional and try very hard to ensure each client's happiness.
The next morning while showering, I actually slipped in the bath tub, but caught myself. There are two strips in the bottom of the tub,and apparently, it can get slippery in between. I called the front desk as I considered this a safety issue and was told there should also be a bath mat in a cubby hole by the sink. There was not and I called back to inform the front desk but spoke to a different person who said they would send one immediately. Within two minutes or less, there was a knock at our door and my husband took the bath mats offered him. Unfortunately, they were the kind that you put outside your tub to step on, not the kind you stand on in the tub. We were not going to bother anyone again and my husband just said he would be careful in the shower. I just wanted others to be aware of this issue, as slipping in a tub could potentially lead to significant injuries.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chocoholic7265
Dear Ontariochocoholic,

We really appreciate you staying with us at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk and taking the time to write your review. We apologize for the issue you had with the tub. While the slip-grip was applied to specification, after reading your review, we want to ensure their is minimal chance for hazard. As a result of your review, as well as another we received the following day, the strips in the bathtubs have been replaced with grip-mats that cover the entire bottom of the tub. Your feedback is important to us and we really appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention.

We are glad to see you had an overall pleasant experience and we hope to see you in the hotel again soon. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.

Sanford, FL
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We spent four days here to celebrate a birthday and enjoyed our stay. The personnel are very friendly, helpful and accommodating. The room was Riverwalk view, however on the 10th floor, that does not hold much charm as the real view is the air conditioning on adjoining hotel roofs. Opt for a lower floor or forgo the "view". The room was comfortable with the exception of an overstuffed chair situated in front of the thermostat and mirror. Climbing over to see yourself or adjust the temperature was inconvenient.
The Citrus restaurant had excellent service and a very nice breakfast menu. We did not go there for dinner as the menu did not entice us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OscarandAvivasMom
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear OscarandAvivasMom,

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay. It's very rewarding to see you mention the friendliness of the staff.

It would be great if your travels bring you back to San Antonio. We would love to have you return. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.

Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Have stayed here before. Nice hotel on riverwalk. FYI - If you are light sleeper choose court yard view rm. The court yard closes at 10pm and the only thing I heard was the water feature, soothing. Rooms here have nice balcony with 2 chairs & table, however, they are not private. Service is great here. Hotel is in nice area with restaurants & shopping nearby. You are in walking distance to so many things....Market Square (Mexican Market), Alamo, fun attractions for the kids, etc. Beautiful lobby to meet friends or just relax. Hotel Valencia has a calming zen-like feel to it. I will return!

Room Tip: Court yard view rooms are quiet. City view and riverwalk view rooms can be quite noisy late at nigh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Becky C,

We are glad you enjoyed your trip to San Antonio and your time in the hotel. The comments regarding the features and décor of the hotel are greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.

We look forward to having you back when you make it back down. Let us know if we can be of any assistance until then.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a very hip and cool hotel located right on the river walk. The staff is friendly and the manager was very attentive. The weight room is small but very nice and they have two restaurants and a bar. Rooms are nice, clean, and my girlfriend was impressed she could charge her iPhone 5 in the room after leaving her charger in the car. Valet parking only.

This hotel is right on the river walk with access by stairs or elevator. The elevator was very handy in our case because we were traveling with an elderly woman with limited mobility. Just take a left and you are a short walk to the Alamo.

I reserved two rooms through Hotwire for a one night stay on 04-23-14. I called ahead to ask for a handicap accessible room since we were traveling with my girlfriend’s elderly mother who has trouble with mobility. When we arrived at 3:00 PM they had two adjoining rooms reserved for us with one a handicap room. Our room was ready but her mother’s wasn’t. The second room was ready an hour later but unfortunately smelled like smoke. In the end we wound up with rooms on two different floors, but we did have another accessible room.

My girlfriend and her mother were very agitated because of the wait, smell, and necessity of moving to another floor. Rudy was the manager on duty and he handled the situation and guests with professional ease. He calmed them both down, apologized for any inconvenience, and gave us a complimentary breakfast. Everyone was happy after that and Rudy even saw us off the next day opening the car doors for the ladies.

What impressed me was the way the staff went out of their way to accommodate the room request. Sometimes when I book through Hotwire the staff is very inflexible

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ray N,

What a great Review! Thank you for staying with us and sharing you experience with others. It's disappointing to see we didn't get your room right the first time however good to see we recovered. Rudy is a valuable asset to our hotel and he and his team are relentless in their effort to provide exceptional service.

We hope you have the opportunity to make it back down to the Riverwalk again soon and hope to see you in the hotel. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance until then.