“One miss after another”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #7 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Family vacation in early April for spring break. We checked in late at night. When the taxi pulled up the hotel, not one valet/bellman could be bothered to stop texting in order to assist us with our luggage or even acknowledge our arrival. Entered the hotel and had to lug several pieces of luggage, with two exhausted children, up two flights of stairs to reception. We only discovered later that there was an elevator hidden behind the stairwell. We were given a room as requested on a high floor. However, immediately upon entry, noticed foul smell and large white stain near windows. Had to call down to get a new room. Next night, after the kids had gone to sleep, we heard a blaring announcement in the hallway that the "fire alarm" was a false alar. The only problem was that we never heard a fire alarm! Immediately called downstairs to front desk and were told that it was a problem in the kitchen of the hotel restaurant. Not a good feeling. Hallways always smelled stale or foul, all of us commented on it every time we walked in the hallway.
I also received an email during my stay that said I had checked out and enclosed my invoice. So during an all day tour I had to call and email the hotel to straighten that out. Finally, when we checked out, I was charged for four nights of valet parking even though we had not rented a car or valet parked. Staff was never responsive, always indifferent. When I noticed the valet charges on my way out of the hotel, I immediately backtracked to the front desk to have it removed. The young woman pulled an attitude and grudgingly removed the charges. She said it was my misunderstanding of her, I stood there shocked and could not believe what I heard.
I did email and call the General Manager, but have yet to speak to him about these issues. I wouldn't stay at this property again. So many other choices and less hassle.

6  Thank NewJersey4
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear NewJersey4,

I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had at our hotel. This is not the type of service you should expect and it is very disappointing to see that any of our guests could have had so many issues during their stay. I assure you we take these things seriously and I do look forward to speaking with you about them. We have attempted to contact you through email and have even left a voice mail. Please email me at tfreeman@valenciagroup.com at your convenience, or call the hotel at 210-227-9700 and ask for Trent.

Trent

Write a ReviewReviews (3,162)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've stayed here twice now, and both times I've been very impressed. Friendly staff, excellent rooms, great vibe, even the special events and restaurant are great. I don't want to stay anywhere else in San Antonio.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear coopr,

We REALLY appreciate the great reviews! All feedback we receive is welcome and the more we get, the better. It's what hotel people crave!

We look forward to having you back a third time soon so we can do even better. Let us know if we can be of assistance until then.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at this property 5/1 - 5/5/14 for our anniversary. This property has a very charming atmosphere and is very close to the main riverwalk so the walk is not that far. The bed was comfortable and the room was always very clean after housekeeping made up the room. We did have a small leak around the base of the toilet but no big deal. We ate breakfast in the restaurant, "Citrus" twice while we were there. The food was adequate but the service could use some improving. The staff in the restaurant seemed very stressed even though the place was not that busy. Overall, we would return to this property. :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ministeev

Dear ministeev,

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience with others. We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay. Every aspect of you stay is important and please be assured that we will work on our consistency in the restaurant. While issues are rare, it needs to be an amazing experience for every guest, every time.

We look forward to having you return the next time you make it down from Fort Worth. Please let us know if we can be of assistance until then.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

After trying to find a place to stay on the Riverwalk in San Antonio was a task. There are so many to choose from. Finally deciding on the Valencia. We stayed 8 nights at this hotel. It is located on the river towards the quieter end of the river. I would call it the theater/arts area. The staff are incredible. Anything you needed was provided. Walking distance to everything. Check in was a breeze. The hotel food was great, we had breakfast there and last night had dinner at the bar. Derrick L at the bar and also room service was one of the nicest people whom we have ever met. We were in San Antonio for our son's graduation from Basic Training at Lackland AFB. We brought our son to the hotel and saw Derrick who right away congratulated our son.
I guess best way to do this is, is to break it down as pros and cons:
Pros: Gorgeous Hotel, Attentive staff, beautiful rooms, food great. There is also a restaurant attached but not part of the hotel. They have a gorgeous courtyard. You can sit there, no wait service but nice play to relax and with a water feature and fire at night. There are rooms that face the courtyard but each time we went out here no one utilized their balconies. (you do pay for that kind of room) You can also get a riverview again higher price. no need. The cleaning staff were great, she even put our shoes away in the closet. lol Thank goodness I open the door to check it out. Very Clean.
Cons: Parking is a big issue. You can park at a parking garage around the corner for 14.99 a day but get charged for coming and goings. or pay the 29. a day to have valet. You do need to call them about 20 min ahead of time to get your vehicle. my thing was that this is not a cheap place to stay so parking should be a part of it. Tips alone to the valets are off the charts. I read reviews of rooms along the road that they would be loud. We arrived on a Sunday. So all week was great until the weekend. a bit loud on the road and we were on the 8 floor.
Just Some Other Tips: . Do take that crazy riverboat tour, you get to see everything that is on most of the riverwalk.. Awesome fish tacos at La Margarita. Went to a off the beat and track and went to Manhattan Mexican. Looks like a diner but you can go out onto the riverwalk. Nachos were really good. I don't think we had a bad meal while we were there. Looking for a nice breakfast head north to Guenthers. it is located at the flour mill. Beautiful area. We def needed directions and thought we were lost. It is really a working flour mills and you walk through these gates that look like a park and there is this little place. we ate outside since it was a little loud inside. I love breakfast when I am on vacation. Usually am a French toast freak but had pancakes. they were sooo fluffy and good. We lucked out since the waiter informed said most of the time people wait two hours. lol
If you have time venture out into the Hill Country and go to Fredricksburg, Nice town, Strong German theme many stores to browse. Then if you are looking for a slight challenge head up to Enchanted Rock Park. Something neat to see, bring water water water. it was 99 degrees when we went there. You climb over 400 feet up this dome shape granite rock. You have to be in some kind of shape. I am not so we took many breaks. lol there are trails but primarily you are on your own. the view is great when you get up there. coming down is just as interesting. We also did SeaWorld upon our Airman's request. If you have been to Orlando, don't go here unless you want to pay more and do the water park area. Not impressed.
One last thing if you are a Dallas Mav fan, this is where they stay. lol saw them twice since we were there so long.
For those attending BMT graduatation., it takes 18 min to get there. we made a bunch of dry runs to make sure we could make it on time. use the valley high gate entrance. For Thursdays ceremonies on the base you need to leave early if going to the early orientation. We notified the front desk the night before to have our car ready by 530am and sure enough it was there. Granted we were quite early at the base but they will let you on starting at 6 am.

3  Thank faither130

Dear faither130,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a great, informative review of your experience. We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to recognize Derrick. He is an important part of our team. We love to see our team members recognized by name. It means a lot!

When you make it back down to San Antonio, we would love to see you in the hotel again. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance until then.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Superb ambience. Marvelous courtyard wit infinity water falls & fire.Courteous front desk. Noisy from partygoers the 1st night ( my room was on 6th floor) but quaint later. Beautiful music piped thru...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Henry G,

The 5-star review is greatly appreciated. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you in the hotel again the next time you make it to San Antonio.

Thank you!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My extended family had the pleasure staying at Hotel Valencia the week of Easter. The superior level of service begins at the front door. Over several days, I'm pretty sure I didn't touch the door handles once! The bellmen were knowledgeable and friendly. The front desk agents always smiled and were engaged. Most agents around the world have the heads down most of the time. Not at the Valencia! The rooms were very clean and spacious. Great beds too. My family decided to take over a portion of the bar's seating area on Saturday night and the staff was fantastic. They took such good care of us. Richard, Shawn and Ysidia went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel at home. They even arranged for a birthday cake for my brother on short notice! Terrific experience and we shall be back.

Dear Brian B,

This is an Awesome review! We really appreciate you taking the time to post it.

We are grateful that you recognized our service, and that fact that you mention our associates by name is very rewarding in itself. We assure you we will all share it with our fellow team members. This is fuel for our fire. The bar is a great place, because of them and we are fortunate to have them on the team.

We hope to see you in the hotel again soon. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance until then.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

It's a beautiful hotel with amazing service. You can't beat the location either! It's right on the Riverwalk. You can just walk out of the hotel and start walking down the riverwalk. Lots of cute shops and restaurants in the area. The staff at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk was excellent and I couldn't be any more happier! I do recommend eating next door at Acenar which happens to be an amazing Mexican restaurant. Food's killer there and they also have tables right out on the Riverwalk. The only thing you should be aware of is that the rooms are a bit dark. No curtains on the windows and they use black wood shutters instead that doesn't let in any daylight.

Dear Rica_Travels,

We appreciate you taking the time to complete your review and share your experience with others. Every aspect of your stay is important to us however it always makes us a little more happy (ecstatic) to be recognized for our service. Thank you!

We look forward to seeing you in the hotel again the next time you make it to San Antonio. Please let us know if we can be of assistance until then.