“Hotel needs an upgrade but the employees are awesome”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Hotel needs an upgrade but the employees are awesome”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Its all about expectation management. The Website for Valencia looks ultra chic, but the hotel rooms reminded me of steak and ale. Dark and poorly lit. But the staff made up for the gap. Starting with Israel, the Valet manager and ending with the housekeeping staff Minerva C, and Maria E everyoone works hard to make your visit as enjoyable as possible. All in all the location is ultra convenient to everything and as long as you are not looking for 5 star amenities you will enjoy staying there.

2 Thank Derek G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We are first time staying guests at The Valencia Hotel on our Honeymoon. Everything was great when we checked in on Tuesday afternoon (7/22). The rooms are nice and clean. The people who checked us in were supper friendly. We also had a perfect steak dinner at Bohanan's. When we got to our room we had a letter stating there would be no hot water on Thursaday (7/24) from 11am-5pm and that some plumbing work was going to be taken place. We thought.. Ok, great, this won't affect us since we are due to check out that Thursday morning. Unfortunately, at 9am Wednesday morning we were awaken by a ton of loud banging noises. It echoed the entire room! We immediately called and they said that notices were sent out. I said not for Wednesdays construction, only Thursday. I asked for another room, but the manager said it would not matter which room he put us in we would still hear the noises. The manager said he was going to try to delay it for us at least until the afternoon, but that didn't happen. We decided to check out immediately and move to a nearby hotel with a huge headache and a terrible morning to remember from the Valencia Hotel. :-(

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jennifer V
Harlingen, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

When I read the reviews prior to my stay I read glowing reviews using superlatives. Excellent. Awesome. Beyond expectation. But my actual experience far from evoked those adjectives. Not a 4 star in my book. I am now doubtful of these reviews. I wonder if they are manufactured. Hotel is dark and using cheap industrial materials that made it look "cool". No pool!!! And no amenities to make up for that big downer. Courtyard was very small hot and on 3rd floor with windows of other rooms as view. Furniture there showed a lot of wear and tear. Disorganized. Had coffee there one morning and it was far from relaxing or pleasant. Hotel has no river walk access!!! You have to walk down the street and then go down the stairs to the river walk. It's fairly far from main river walk area and there were many
drunk homeless men along the way. Scary!!! Wanted to order drinks from the bar but didn't feel open. Standing men crowded the bar. Daily parking
is $29 a day!!! I've used Hotwire to book hotels in the river walk area in the past and I would be pleasantly surprised. I was disappointed. Service was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank gotta-have-f4ith
Richland, W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

What a great weekend we just had at the Valencia!

Great location - right on the river walk, close enough to all the great spots to eat and drink that you can walk; but not so close that you get stuck in the horrible traffic.

The room was clean and comfortable, and just felt warm and cozy! Comfy beds! Fluffy pillows! And I never wanted to get out of the arm chair, I just sank in to it. The personalized hand-written note from our housekeeper, Rosa, was such a nice touch, and a welcome change from generic cards you get at other hotelss.

The staff was amazing. Our room was not ready upon check in, but we were given a great restaurant recommendation and a phone call soon after telling us we were good to go. It was a nice personal touch rather than just telling us when to come back. And there was a nice bottle of wine waiting for us!

Mourad in valet was so helpful with our luggage and packages, and humored my sister and I with our need for goofy fountain pictures and told us if we needed anything (including more pictures) to just let him know. All the valet were prompt and helpful with directions and suggestions, it was so nice to hear "welcome back" because out of all the guests they must see, they took the time to remember us.

I would definitely say this place embodied Texas hospitality!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff was very kind, professional and accommodating. I forgot my computer charger at home and Israel Munoz, the front desk manager, had someone from his house bring a charger for me to borrow! I can't thank them enough!

Richland, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is not a big impersonal hotel, even though some of them are very nice. When you stop at front desk, by the second stop, they call you by name. That being said, it is beautiful, elegant and many levels above any other hotel. The beds were wonderful and pillows outstanding. The valets, knew our car and always welcomed us back from outings with "how was your day?" "Anything we can do to make your stay better?" Housekeeping,(Rosa, thank you) left personal notes saying to please call if we needed anything. The valets (especially Mourad) took great pictures for us in front of the fountain and were genuinely happy to do it. There were far too many to remember each but we never encountered any person in any position that did not go out of their way to help. We will definitely be back - in cooler weather!

Room Tip: We asked for a River Walk view and it was nice but we saw the rooms facing the courtyard and they we...