One of the reasons we relocated to the Houston area of Texas was it's close proximity to other cities. San Antonio is just under a three hour drive from Houston and with a couple of days off it was a perfect getaway. We arrived late, close to midnight and were greeted by the valet upon arrival. The valet staff were all very professional and courteous. FYI...there is a $29 per day charge if you use the valet. Having lived in Las Vegas for 20 years where valet parking is free, it is difficult to pay for valet parking but at midnight and tired it was worth it.
I had booked our room on the hotel's website and thought I confirmed a courtyard view room with a king bed. Upon checking-in we were told I had actually booked a river view room with two double beds. I apparently clicked on the wrong line when I booked. They did not have a courtyard room that night but we were promised that we could switch rooms the next day. Our bags were delivered to our room by Anthony Lozano who actually met us in the valet and escorted us to the registration desk (on the 2nd floor). Anthony waited for us while we checked-in and provided excellent service. I'd also like to mention Mourad, one of the valets, as he also provided excellent service.
The room, although not what we wanted, was modern and very nicely appointed. We went down to the bar for a couple of cocktails and late night eats. The hotel has a very nice patio area that overlooks the river and it was a great place to enjoy our food and cocktails. I actually had one of the best burgers I've ever tasted!
The beds were comfortable but unfortunately we were awakened by a banging noise around 7:30 am. My fiance called the front desk and they apologized. It turns out they were updating the carpets on the 6th floor and the workers were hammering. We bumped into two of the managers in the lobby later in the day and they asked us about our stay. We told them we really liked the hotel but did not know there was work being done and that the hammering woke us up very early. They were very sympathetic and gave us two $22 vouchers for breakfast the next morning. We did switch to a courtyard view room for our 2nd night. The courtyard rooms have spacious balconies which overlook a very nice waterfall/fireplace. We would definitely book a courtyard room over a river view room.
Although we had a couple of bumps, the Hotel Valencia will be our place to stay when visiting San Antonio. The entire staff was very helpful and you could tell they really cared about your experience. In fact, they encourage you to post a review on TripAdvisor.
Things to do while in San Antonio...the Riverwalk is a lot of fun with great restaurants, people watching and even a boat tour of the Riverwalk. If you are a history buff definitely visit the Alamo. About 30 minutes away we went to the Natural Bridge Caverns and the Wildlife Ranch which is an African safari that you drive through in your own car. We highly recommend these two attractions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the San Antonio River Walk, within walking distance of the Alamo, Hotel Valencia Riverwalk is a boutique hotel in the heart of downtown San Antonio. Hotel Valencia is ideal for a romantic or weekend getaway, a business trip or a group or convention. Our hotel is a short walk from the San Antonio Convention Center, downtown attractions and only a short drive to The Pearl, theme parks and various golf courses. Enjoy signature cocktails in Naranja bar and dine in Dorregos Restaurant. Amenities include signature beds with Egyptian cotton linens, complimentary continental breakfast and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Valencia Riverwalk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valencia Riverwalk Hotel
- Valencia Riverwalk San Antonio
- Hotel Valencia San Antonio
- Hotel Valencia Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas