“Great Modern Hotel to Stay In”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #11 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
dallas
“Great Modern Hotel to Stay In”
Reviewed 11 November 2010

This hotel is very modern. If you are looking for a place that leaves behind floral bed spreads, then this hotel is for you. Decor is very much like Pottery Barn which makes the stay even more worthwhile. Customer service was okay. They still have to work on that, but if atmosphere is everything, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank craftygir1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Stayed for three nights while attending a convention in town, and I would recommend this to a business traveler or a couple for a get-away weekend. This hotel is styled in the same vein as a "W", definately more hip and stylish than the Embassy Suites down the street. I didn't have any problem with billings or noise and the front desk people were very, very nice. Free Internet was nice (bring your own cat5 cable).

A couple of things to be aware of (these aren't complaints):

It is a 15" walk from the hotel to the convention center (we have perfect weather during my stay so that definately ended up being a plus vs. a negative)

If you have kids stay at the Embassy Suites

The rooms look a little (just a little) worn; however, it was very clean

These are some complaints: the remote to the TV was fussy (didn't feel like calling the problem in though) and the coffee setup was hidden in the closet (found it on day two), and the bed legs flair out a tad (you're destined to stump you toe at least once). Finally, I wish the chair for the desk was an adjustable chair.

Again, this was a good place to stay especially for a romantic weekend. Give this place a try if you want to do something different than the usual suspects.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank TXTXYEHA
new orleans
Reviewed 31 October 2010

And he was right! Halloween weekend brought it back to mind today. I had already read reviews about how dark the lobby is, but had brushed them aside, as we don't tend to hang out in lobbies much, anyway. I figured it didn't matter.

OMG! It was even hard to see the paperwork when we registered. People tended to cluster beneath the few directional lights available. Personally, I felt sorry for the employees who have to work under twilight conditions all day--do they come down with S.A.D. like in Alaska or Scandanavia?

The room itself was spacious & well appointed. But the theme of light deprivation was carried out here, except for the bathroom. Thank goodness for it! It's sink, however had no stopper & the faucet was lovely, but impractical to use. Lovely but completely impractical bathroom door makes it the only clothes hook accessible only by very tall people. Nice makeup light and robes provided.

TV remote only works if you are in the bed or standing beside it. Get too close to the TV & nothing happens.

Very long counter across width of the room, but no drawers in it at all! Except for the nightstand, there were only two drawers available, and when opened, they blocked access to the main door in and out! Who plans these rooms???

Basically, we found that the younger guests we met love the place; the older ones hated it. We are in our early 60's & travel companions in their 50's. This is NOT a place for older travelers with any sort of vision impairment.

The windows had immovable shutters, so it was impossible to push them aside, so as to have more light. The lamps were jokes.

Bed was about a 6 on a 1-10 scale. (We do have a Sleep Number bed at home, tho, so are tough on bed evals)

The in-room coffee was excellent--best in recent memory.

Staff were sweet but often seemed a little "ditsy." Example was procedure followed after a false fire alarm one morning: not impressive. (Maybe it's the light deprivation?)
Another was lack of info regarding an ongoing tile job that kept one elevator out of service for two days. (When it finally came back into service, the first morning it had absolutely NO lighting inside-it was PITCH!)

Concierge service, however, was very professional and efficient.

Location of hotel could not be better.

We would still recommend it to younger travelers, but definitely NOT to older folks with any sort of vision issues.

4 Thank msreduch
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The hotel was nice and clean. The lobby was ultra hip, as was the room. But there were no drawers in our room! so either all had to be hung up in the closet, stacked on the counter, or left in the suitcase!!
The bed was comfy, we were able to sit on our balcony and see the River walk, which was def. cool!! But we were on a very quiet area of the River walk, and would have loved to have been in the busier side. But when trying to book a hotel in a more happening area, we just couldn't find either availability, or anything that truly let us feel like it was in a more active area...
A big nice plus for the hotel was that they heard it was my birthday/anniversary and they had a nice surprise waiting in our room for us!!
It also happened to be a food festival/wine festival time while we were there! Great times!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma city
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Went to Hotel Valencia for my wife's 30th B-day and had a blast. Got a good rate online through the hotel. (best value for high-end hotel on the riverwalk). Room very contemporary, bed comfortable, love the huge mirror in the room. only negative about room is the the tv control is very difficult but really not a big deal (42" LCD). Lounge and Bar area is fun and I love the smell of the hotel once you walk through the doors. Only negative for me was there was no Spa or Pool, Went to Hotel Mokara for the Spa and had access that day to there pool. Love the Spa and Pool but would still choose Hotel Valencia for my next stay. Will definitely go back. (also love the free Wifi). Noticed complaints about parking at hotel, used valet and noticed several other hotels fees where actually more expense of the riverwalk.

Monterey, California
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I booked this hotel through an on-line site with a "guaranteed king bed". The stay was during a convention, which is common in San Antonio. When I arrived in the mid-afternoon the room was not ready and I was asked to leave my bags at, on and around the front desk with many more. When I returned as requested, I was informed that there were no king rooms. I explained that I booked this guaranteed and I was told by a somewhat brusk desk clerk that they do not give such guarantees. I looked at the twin queen room and it was dark, old, beat up and not particularly clean. I looked at another and it was worse. I contacted the booking service and was sent immediately sent to a much nicer hotel. I do not know if it was the crowded convention, hotel policy or booking service that caused things to fall apart, but they did. The booking service told me that the room was guaranteed and managed the issue quickly and professionally, including calling the hotel manager. The Valencia staff were indifferent at best, the hotel dark and somewhat worse for the wear. I won't go back. You can do better.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Hularhumba
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 28 October 2010

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk and enjoyed every minute of it. From the modern style in the lobby and the guestrooms, and the excellent service we received from everyone (front desk, concierge, bellmen, guest services), we'd recommend this to couples or business travelers. We didn't see many children there, but it definately appealed to us. Ask for a courtyard room (interior courtyard with roughly 15 rooms facing it). The courtyard is quite private and has a water feature and lots of green plants so you don't feel like you are in the middle of the city. We had a room with a door right onto the courtyard, but some rooms are above it with a private balcony overlooking it. There is seating and tables for a relaxing break. The hotel has direct access to the Riverwalk, yet is not on the busiest part (less noise). It's roughly a 1-2 block walk to the main restaurant/retail part of the Riverwalk which makes it very convenient. The Alama is also about 4-5 blocks away. The rooms are clean and are not your typical hotel room, which is actually a nice change. You'll remember the rooms and the somewhat dark lobby and bar area (but it's part of the vibe). I think I counted 7 or 8 lights within our room, so ignore the comments about not having enough light in the guestrooms, you just need to turn on what you need. No onsite parking is a downfall, but valet parking available, and a few public ramps within 1-2 blocks (which are much cheaper anyway).

Stay here, you will love it. If we get back to San Antonio, we will stay here again!