“Home away from Home in San Antonio”

Eva's Escape at the Gardenia Inn
Ranked #2 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“Home away from Home in San Antonio”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Driving from Florida to California, I found this lovely b&b online and gave Debra, the Innkeeper a call while on the road. She was so pleasant and helpful. She even found a massage therapist for a last minute massage, so that I could unwind in style when I arrived from my long drive. I felt like I was coming home. My room, the Bluebonnet room, was comfortable, spacious, and relaxing. The B&B is within walking distance to the Riverwalk or you can catch a trolly which is steps away from the b&b. If you prefer just to stay close to "home" enjoy quaint restaurants and bars close by. I hear that the #1 Mexican Restaurant in town is right around the corner.

This is where I'll be staying the next time I drive through Texas! Thank you Debra. It was a pleasure meeting you and hearing about your new adventure. God Bless!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank TinaMarie44
Deborah O, Manager at Eva's Escape at the Gardenia Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Tina,
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. You were one of our first guests as new owners and you were a delight. I know the rest of your road trip was amazing. I look forward to seeing you back in San Antonio. Thank you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Walking into the elegant and welcoming Gardenia Inn is like coming home to a gracious Southern hospitality often lost in today's busy world. The Inn is gorgeous, unbelievably well maintained and scrupulously clean. The host is a treasure and the breakfasts are gourmet. Why would you stay anywhere else?

Room Tip: Decide if you want a soaking in a claw footed tub or a great shower. One room has both.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Carolyn I
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2012

San Antonio is our favorite weekend get-away, and I wish we had found the Gardenia Inn earlier. We stayed in the Desert Blossom suite, so we had the entire third floor to ourselves. The windows have very sheer curtains, so if you want to sleep in bring a mask because the room has a lot of natural light.

John welcomes you when you check in, and lets you know about the area restaurants and the trolley stop right down the block. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area sites and activities. He makes a great breakfast too.

It is usually very quiet, but we sometimes heard music from the Mexican restaurant next door. It is a short scenic walk to the Riverwalk, or an even shorter trolley ride. Each room has a fridge stocked with complementary water, which is a real help on hot San Antonio days.

The prices are very reasonable (even low) for the area when compared to other B&Bs, so it is a great value. Unfortunately, John told us that he has sold the Inn and will be moving on soon. Hopefully the new owner will keep it up to his standards.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I are extensive Bed and Breakfast users, we look for them on our travels and San Antonio was no exception. This inn is outstanding. The Innkeeper is excellent in that he is very accomodating with suggestions and recommendations whether it be dining, things to do, or any items that you want answers for. We stayed in the Lily Room which is convenient as it is downstairs right as you walk into the three story house. Room spacious and clean, however has a very small bathroom and a shower that might be smaller than one on a cruise ship. However he does not hide this fact and with us is not a liability. He prepares a true gourmet breakfast and as with most B&B's you have opportunity to meet other quest. The location is approx. a mile from the Riverwalk and downtown, say a 20-30 minute walk, or the trolley car stops one block from Inn and runs about every ten minutes should walking not be your thing. There are a number of restaurants, bars, coffee shops in the area of inn and depending upon who you ask, the best Mexican Restaurant in the city is three blocks (Rosarios) away. In summary would recommend this Inn and would stay her again if back in San Antonio.

Room Tip: look at options on the website
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Tx
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We experienced a wonderful stay at the Gardenia Inn. The Desert Bloom on the third floor was very comfortable and roomy enough for my friends and I. The breakfasts were delicious and beautiful. The B&B is very conveniently located near the Trolley route heading into downtown San Antonio, so getting around was very easy. There are also many good restaurants within walking distance. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Sandia, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I'm only sorry I didn't write this review sooner, because in my opinion this B&B should have been voted number one!! My husband and I had the pleasure to stay here when we celebrated our 26th wedding anniv. in 2006. We actually got to stay in the lil' cottage out back - so we felt like we had the place to ourself! Had our morning coffee out in the garden! The hosts were just wonderful, and they prepared the best breakfast that morning! They couldn't have been more friendly and accomodating. Made all their guests feel warm and welcomed! The house itself is stunning and radiates with charm!! The grounds and the entire house are kept immaculate, as well!! We had the best time and wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2012

What a delightful B&B in a perfect location in the King William District! Convenient to sightseeing and getting around San Antonio, the Gardenia Inn was a lovely spot to relax and enjoy our visit to this wonderful city. We enjoyed the Desert Rose room and it was huge with a separate sleeping area with king bed and a living room area with a queen in an alcove. Perfect for families.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family