“Wonderful B&B”

Ranked #2 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Wisconsin
“Wonderful B&B”
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 3 night stay at the Gardenia Inn. The hosts are incredibly nice and were very helpful in giving us tips on visiting San Antonio. The breakfasts are fantastic. The Bluebonnet room was very clean and had everything that we needed. The location is great - a short walk (10-15 min.) to downtown and in a quiet neighborhood with restaurants close by. We did not have a car and were able to walk to everything we wanted to see. We took the bus to Mission San Jose and the bus stop was only 2 blocks away. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Suburb of Houston
Reviewed 20 August 2008

The real problem is: When I arrived, no one answered the door....or the phone.....or email. After crying outside the front door for an hour, the innkeeper finally checked the fax machine and found a message I had faxed her from the front porch with my e-fax that said "I'm waiting outside will you let me in". Thank God for wireless internet and laptops and efax, otherwise I'd be writing this review from Houston and missed the conference I was supposed to attend in San Antonio. When she finally looked outside, I'm literally crying my eyes out, about to drive all the way back to Houston because I paid for the room in advance and didn't have money to pay for another room. What I wanted to hear was "You poor thing I am SO sorry, let me get that bag and show you to your room". Instead her comment to me was "We've been here all afternoon. We were wondering where you were." I had to ask several times to be let me in. I don't look scary - I'm barely 5 feet tall and look just like the suburban soccer mom that I am. It could be that the tear-streaked face was bothering her, I might not have let me in either, but then again, I wouldn't have locked me out so there wouldn't have been tears.

It turns out that the phone and doorbell of this establishment of hospitality didn't work. I mentioned that I also emailed and faxed and they said "We don't check our email every 5 minutes". (I had been trying to reach them for 4 hours!)

A little later I needed to get some stuff out of my car and the husband was at the front door. I asked him to wait there while I walked across the street to my car, and again, I had to ask several times because he just wanted me to practice working the combination lock on the door several times. Like, did he really think I was going to leave again?

You know, I make mistakes too, but they handled it really poorly. I'm CRYING on their front porch and instead of apologizing and helping me in, they are trying to figure out what I did wrong to get myself in this situation. I didn't think they were very nice hosts.

I think this will be my last bed & breakfast experience. I prefer a little personal touch and owner-operated vs a chain, but right now I'd give anything for a nice room at the Westin....or even Hampton Inn.

• Liked — The room had pretty curtains.
  • Disliked — Really dismal hospitality.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank Aujourdhui2
Wilmington, DE 19807
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Our original choice for B&B turned out to be a copy of the house from the Addams Family. Very distressed, we were walking down the street (only 2 hours into our vacation in San Antonio), when we saw this immaculate and lovely house with the nameplate, Gardenia Inn. The Innkeeper, John, opened the door, saw our distress, and immediately said he would make sure we had a place to stay.

Of the 5 nights, we stayed the last 3 in the Gardenia Inn. The house inside was as immaculate and well-appointed as possible. The breakfasts were creative and superb. But most of all, John and Susan were so kind, friendly, informative, and helpful that we felt as if we had known them for years.

This is a first-class Bed & Breakfast, and you cannot go wrong staying there.

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Winter Haven, FL
Reviewed 5 April 2008

We stayed at the Gardenia Inn for three nights right before the final four tournament. First off, the hosts are great and the breakfast was gourmet. John gave pertinent advice on how to make our stay in San Antonio much better. The start of the Riverwalk was just a few blocks away through a lovely park. The walk to the main attractions downtown is just 15 minutes away, but you could always catch the trolley which was right around the corner. We noticed that EVERYONE was very friendly and helpful, even the taxi driver that took us from the airport gave us a history of San Antonio. The Inn itself is quiet with porch swings overlooking the historic neighborhood. Although we had no trouble with Lily's room, it should be noted that for people that are large or use wheelchairs might find the bathroom very tiny. Overall, a wonderful place and I am sure we will be returning in the future.

• Liked — Hosts and breakfasts
  • Disliked — tiny bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FLMike
bloomington, indiana
Reviewed 19 March 2008

My family and I just returned from a 5-night stay at the Gardenia Inn. We all agree that this is the best B&B we have ever visited! We stayed in the Desert Blossom Suite and found it to be extremely spacious and comfortable. The hosts, John and Susan are warm, friendly, knowledgeable about the San Antonio area and make a phenomenal breakfast! For us, the location of the Inn was perfect. It's a 10-minute walk to the the downtown historical area, easy to get to, but far enough away to avoid the busyness of the River Walk, which can get noisy at night. There are at least 5 restaurants within 4 blocks of the Inn and an emerging artist area is an easy walk to the south. We cannot wait to return to San Antonio and the Gardenia Inn.

• Liked — the hosts and the breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank blmgtngirl
Connecticut
Reviewed 6 September 2007

My finace and I stayed at the Gardenia Inn for 2 nights while vacationing in Texas. Let me just tell you - every single aspect of our stay was amazing! The owners were as sweet as can be (and they can cook a pretty mean breakfast too!), the room was gorgeous and the area was quaint and quiet. We stayed in the Lavender room which had a beautiful claw foot tub. The bed was so comfortable, and our porch was perfect for enjoying morning coffee.

There was a computer for guest use and a mini-fridge that was kept well stocked with all types of beverages. Ther Inn is also only a 10 minute walk to the Riverwalk and downtown San Antonio.

Since my finace has family in Texas, we plan on returning quite often, and will no doubt stay at the Gardenia Inn on any return trip to San Antonio. Kudos to the owners for an amazing experience!!

• Liked — The beautiful room; the helpful owners; the close proximity to downtown San Antonio
  • Disliked — No stand up shower in the room, only a tub
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
West Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2007

My husband and I just returned from spending 5 relaxing days at the Gardenia Inn. It was lovely and well kept, and the atmosphere was very comfortable in all respects. What stands out for us is the fact that the hosts are such warm people, that it makes for a very pleasant stay. It was extremely convenient to have a computer with high speed internet set up in a sitting area, and complimentary cold beverages always available. The location is great too- several good restaurants closeby. You can access the Riverwalk down the block and walk to the center of town along the prettiest part of the path. Last, but definitely not least, are the breakfasts, which are delicious. Susan really puts a lot of care and effort into making each meal special. And we very much enjoyed the company in the mornings. It was a great way to start each day. We would gladly return if we find ourselves in San Antonio again.

• Liked — Friendliness of hosts and delicious breakfasts
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything to dislike
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business