“Met my expectations :)”

Ranked #26 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
DC
“Met my expectations :)”
Reviewed 10 January 2008

My stay at the Riverwalk Vista in October was excellent...definitely worth repeating. After reading many Trip Advisor reviews, I was nervous to book, frankly, because of the comments about street noise and crickets, but since I'd heard that the cricket problem had been resolved and I was going to be there on a Thursday night, I decided to give it a chance. I'm so glad I did!

The Riverwalk Vista is definitely not a cookie-cutter property. The building has personality and my room (I didn't see any others) was just like the photos. I was in the Depot Vista Queen Suite, which seemed to be about the size of a larger standard room in a nice chain hotel, but the high ceilings gave it a roomy feel (LOVED the tall windows!) and there was PLENTY of space for a lone traveler. It would have had more than enought elbow room for two. The decor was perfect and it was nice to feel like I was coming home when I returned to the Vista at the end of the day. I didn't have any trouble with the street noise...In fact, I kind-of wondered where it was. However, I've never been one to need earplugs at night (must not be a light sleeper) and since my stay was on a Thursday rather than Friday or Saturday, I probably missed the peak. In the morning, the breakfast was very good, as has been mentioned by many others, and the bath products were wonderful!

I do agree that the entrance might be awkward if you have lots of luggage...and if the one or two spaces in front of the entrance are being used, it might take some effort to find a place to park while unloading, but if you're traveling light, you can easily park in the public lot down the street. Or if you're arriving by taxi from the airport, it's even simpler.

I have to compliment the owners and managers on providing such a refreshing and unique place to stay downtown! I hope my business travel brings me back to San Antonio :)

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank flygirlDC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sedro Woolley, Wa.
Reviewed 18 October 2007

Just spent two nights at the Riverwalk Vista. Picked this B/B after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We are senior travelers.
Pro- The location to the river, the Alamo, and Riverwalk Mall was great. Bedding was great, bed was very comfortable. Slate bathroom was really nice. Liked the supplied robes.
Ok- The room (Chili Queen) was on the small side. Did not meet the expectations of the website pictures. Breakfast was general continental fare. Don't drink wine so do not know if it was good or not but the coffee was strong and seemed to be kept fresh. Did not use in-room coffemaker.
Con- Unloading and loading in front is iffy. Parking garage across the bridge is not an in/out so you pay each time you exit. Had to haul our suit cases to the parking garage as the space in front of hotel was blocked. NOISE is really bad till about 2am. I am a light sleeper and used earplugs. IF you have problems sleeping with earplugs and noise this is not the place to stay. Did not meet the expectations of the price.
On our next trip to San Antonio we will stay in a hotel with on site parking and pay the $$ fee for the convience of unloading and driving in and out. Also look for a quieter stay. We were dissappointed with the Riverwalk Vista but it does seem to have appeal to a certain type and age group of guests.

• Liked — Location to riverwalk.
  • Disliked — Noise due to location. Small room size. Access to arrival parking.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GrayTraveler
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 8 October 2007

This is the kind of hotel that I would never find without this web site. It was terrific - very convenient to the convention center and Riverwalk, reasonably priced, and staffed by helpful people that were fun to talk to.

First of all, the crickets have gone. We'd hear them chirping outside at night, but there were none in the hotel. The problem reported by another reviewer is over. We also didn't smell anything musty but it was dry during most of our stay.

Three of us were in town for a convention and stayed 5-6 nights. I managed to get a look at 5 of the rooms and they're all nice. All of the rooms have huge windows and enough room to work. Since we were traveling on business, the fish, teddy bear, etc. were wasted on us but they gave the place a personality.

The best feature was the fact that this is not a typical corporate hotel. It has its own atmosphere and would be a lot more fun for tourists than a Marriott or Hilton. A very good breakfast was included in the mornings and wine was free in the evenings. The breakfast was so good that we ate in the hotel whenever the time allowed, even though the conference we were attending had a free breakfast. There was a coffee maker in each room, though it was one of those pod things and the free coffee in the lobby was better. The windows are huge and the ceilings are high, so the light is terrific.

Problems: The entrance to the hotel is awkward. It isn't as well marked as it should be for someone who's been flying all day. It's at the top of some steep steps, and then it's just a doorbell and an intercom. It's doesn't make for a very friendly first impression but once you're in, everything gets really nice and the hotel feels like your own private sanctuary. There is some street noise but it wasn't a problem for me. The temperature was in the 90's every day and the air conditioner masked the noise. I live on a busy street so I'm accustomed to street noise at night.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a more "authentic" experience, whether they're a tourist or business traveler.

• Liked — THe atmosphere, location, and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank nhunixguy
Boulder, CO, USA
Reviewed 30 September 2007

I had arranged a number of rooms for an industry conference (our professional group was composed of one woman and nine men), and heard afterwards from each of my fellow travelers that they were most impressed by the Riverwalk Vista. We certainly appreciated the afternoon wine, lemonade and fresh cookies. Breakfast was bountiful, fresh, and tasty, the rooms very attractive (pets are provided in the form of fish), the bed marvelously comfortable, and the (wired) network access worked quickly and easily. The bath was clean, and while I chose to move my very fancy coffeemaker from the counter onto the floor (since I was staying for over a week), it didn't really pose a problem.

Yes, there is street noise, especially on a Saturday night, but if one travels often and is familiar with the variance in ambient noise levels at hotels, one usually brings along some form of earplug. White noise generators are provided in the room, which worked quite well, such that I only needed to use my earplugs a couple of times.

The hotel is located a mere five minutes walking time from the convention center, and is thirty seconds from the Riverwalk. Good food is abundantly available nearby. If one wants to park a car, there are parking lots within a couple of blocks, and there is a 30-minute "offloading parking area" in front of the hotel. I felt quite safe in the neighborhood, and the hotel is additionally secured by a keycode locking system.

Our little group is already planning to return for our next exhibition in San Antonio. Many thanks to Catherine, Anet, and especially Patti, who made us feel so very much at home.

• Liked — attention to detail for comfort
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank 3dvizwiz
Louisiana
Reviewed 24 September 2007

I was in town for an industry conference and needed close access to the Marriott, which was full. So I found the Vista which work out fine for my purposes. I read all about the noise problems that others had reported, but this wasn't a problem for me. My only gripe is that it was not as utilitarian as I would have liked. Spare me the rubber ducky in the shower, the fuzzy bear on the bed, and other pretentous stuff. I just want a clean and comfortable room.... a little space around the sink and a place to hang my hand towel would be nice too.

My only real objection was the sewer gas smell in the bathroom. As long as you leave the door open, it airs out a little and is more tolerable. The center of the bathroon floor has a drain and apparently they didn't install a trap. So, you have a constant sewer gas smell. At first I thougt that the trap was just dry, so I poured water down the drain to seal the trap and stop the smell. But that didn't have any affect.

My wife places more importance on looks than function. She wasn't with me on this trip but she probably would have liked the Vista much more than me.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank companynickle
Houston Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2007

We stayed at this place for one night. Was scheduled for two nights.The noise is really bad. Street noise till 3:00 am. The closest parking place is a block away. We stayed in a Hugman suite paying $280.00 per night.We had crickets in the. For tis pric it was not acceptable. We could not stand two nights and I explained the problems to the manager. We lost our money for the second night.This place is way over priced for the location and room.They had white noise machines to cover up the street noise. Still very noisy

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MD030649
RiverwalkVista, Manager at Riverwalk Vista, responded to this review, 17 September 2007
The Riverwalk Vista staff does its best to make all guests feel comfortable and happy when given the chance to do so. This guest made his complaint as he was checking out, without letting us make the situation right. We feel that he was unhappy with the parking for his extra large truck, as none of the parking structures downtown, including the one we recommend, were able to accommodate a vehicle of such large size. After calling around, we were able to find a safe spot for the truck at another hotel for the first night of his stay. The second night he would need to park his vehicle in an open air lot.
The complaint he made to us was that he was allergic to feathers and down and thought we used these in our beds. He said he and his wife were stuffed up and having allergy symptoms the entire night. We actually use all hypoallergenic pillows and bedding, and feel these would not create this effect. We never allow pets or smoking at the Vista to minimize allergy exposure for everyone.
He did not mention to us that he was bothered by noise. As we are located in the heart of downtown San Antonio, and his room overlooked the Riverwalk on a busy Saturday night, it would have been difficult to avoid some noise. We have an extra-thick acrylic covering over our windows and white noise machines in each room to mask people and traffic sounds. We would have moved him to an east-facing room which normally less noise exposure if we had known, plus Sunday nights in San Antonio are much quieter in general.
The crickets are a city- and state-wide problem, considering the amount of rain south Texas has received this year. The damp conditions and extra foliage have made San Antonio the perfect spot for crickets. We have used pest control repeatedly this summer, and we clean assiduously on a daily basis to minimize the problem. Fortunately, the cricket season is coming to an end.
We are sorry this guest did not stay to experience all of what the Riverwalk Vista has to offer. As a small historical property, we want all our guests to enjoy their stay with us, and take part in this fun city. This guest was too concerned about the safety of his over-sized vehicle to do so. We wish we’d been given the chance to make him happy.

Management
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Wow! If you want a special getaway you have to stay here. Their special touch was unbelievable. From the cookie time, Wine happy hour, to the teddy bear on the bed and of course don't forget about the gold fish in the room. We took our first family vacation to Sea World and they made my family seem like we were the only ones there. They knew us by name as well as my 2 and 4 year old. You ask for anything and there it is....Try that at a chain!...We will definitely be back! Just Love it

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family