“Nice Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #27 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Cleveland, TN
“Nice Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Riverwalk Vista in early December 07. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful (even when I needed an early cab on the morning we checked out.)

The inn has a great location. All you have to do is cross the street and walk down a few steps to get to the famous San Antonio riverwalk. Also, the inn is just a short walk from the Alamo and the mall.

I loved San Antonio and if I visit again I will stay again at the Riverwalk Vista.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bellman1023

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

We initially chose this Inn because of its closeness to the Convention Center (half block), and because it sounded interesting. But there is just no way to describe the peace, comfort, romance, and warmth that wrap you as soon as you enter the building. Located in a historic building just a block from the Alamo, it isn't the usual glossy, just-like-every-other hotel; neither does it have the sometimes suffocating intimacy of a bed-and-breakfast. It is located across the street from the Riverwalk, with a great view of it and easy access. The bed is so comfortable you forget to think about it; the shower is addictive; the room is quiet, extremely comfortable, and convenient. The high-speed Internet is, at present, included in the price, but a bit spotty.

Elegant, comfortable, convenient, romantic, friendly--I can't even think of staying anywhere else when we return to San Antonio.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Internet access
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank TeaWoo
Olympia ,Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

This place is located in the heart of San Antonio near the Riverwalk.
It was built in 1883 and converted to a hotel with 17 units about 6 years ago.
The rooms are very clean and nicely appointed. There is an internet connection. If your looking for a new hotel with swimming pool and exercise amenities then this is not the place for you. However, that being said I would return in a heartbeat.
The staff is friendly and helpful. There is an excellent continental breakfast and coffee and fruit available throughout the day.
I would recommend this place without reservation.

Stayed February 2008
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

My stay at the Riverwalk Vista in October was excellent...definitely worth repeating. After reading many Trip Advisor reviews, I was nervous to book, frankly, because of the comments about street noise and crickets, but since I'd heard that the cricket problem had been resolved and I was going to be there on a Thursday night, I decided to give it a chance. I'm so glad I did!

The Riverwalk Vista is definitely not a cookie-cutter property. The building has personality and my room (I didn't see any others) was just like the photos. I was in the Depot Vista Queen Suite, which seemed to be about the size of a larger standard room in a nice chain hotel, but the high ceilings gave it a roomy feel (LOVED the tall windows!) and there was PLENTY of space for a lone traveler. It would have had more than enought elbow room for two. The decor was perfect and it was nice to feel like I was coming home when I returned to the Vista at the end of the day. I didn't have any trouble with the street noise...In fact, I kind-of wondered where it was. However, I've never been one to need earplugs at night (must not be a light sleeper) and since my stay was on a Thursday rather than Friday or Saturday, I probably missed the peak. In the morning, the breakfast was very good, as has been mentioned by many others, and the bath products were wonderful!

I do agree that the entrance might be awkward if you have lots of luggage...and if the one or two spaces in front of the entrance are being used, it might take some effort to find a place to park while unloading, but if you're traveling light, you can easily park in the public lot down the street. Or if you're arriving by taxi from the airport, it's even simpler.

I have to compliment the owners and managers on providing such a refreshing and unique place to stay downtown! I hope my business travel brings me back to San Antonio :)

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank flygirlDC
Sedro Woolley, Wa.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2007

Just spent two nights at the Riverwalk Vista. Picked this B/B after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We are senior travelers.
Pro- The location to the river, the Alamo, and Riverwalk Mall was great. Bedding was great, bed was very comfortable. Slate bathroom was really nice. Liked the supplied robes.
Ok- The room (Chili Queen) was on the small side. Did not meet the expectations of the website pictures. Breakfast was general continental fare. Don't drink wine so do not know if it was good or not but the coffee was strong and seemed to be kept fresh. Did not use in-room coffemaker.
Con- Unloading and loading in front is iffy. Parking garage across the bridge is not an in/out so you pay each time you exit. Had to haul our suit cases to the parking garage as the space in front of hotel was blocked. NOISE is really bad till about 2am. I am a light sleeper and used earplugs. IF you have problems sleeping with earplugs and noise this is not the place to stay. Did not meet the expectations of the price.
On our next trip to San Antonio we will stay in a hotel with on site parking and pay the $$ fee for the convience of unloading and driving in and out. Also look for a quieter stay. We were dissappointed with the Riverwalk Vista but it does seem to have appeal to a certain type and age group of guests.

• Liked — Location to riverwalk.
  • Disliked — Noise due to location. Small room size. Access to arrival parking.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GrayTraveler
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2007

This is the kind of hotel that I would never find without this web site. It was terrific - very convenient to the convention center and Riverwalk, reasonably priced, and staffed by helpful people that were fun to talk to.

First of all, the crickets have gone. We'd hear them chirping outside at night, but there were none in the hotel. The problem reported by another reviewer is over. We also didn't smell anything musty but it was dry during most of our stay.

Three of us were in town for a convention and stayed 5-6 nights. I managed to get a look at 5 of the rooms and they're all nice. All of the rooms have huge windows and enough room to work. Since we were traveling on business, the fish, teddy bear, etc. were wasted on us but they gave the place a personality.

The best feature was the fact that this is not a typical corporate hotel. It has its own atmosphere and would be a lot more fun for tourists than a Marriott or Hilton. A very good breakfast was included in the mornings and wine was free in the evenings. The breakfast was so good that we ate in the hotel whenever the time allowed, even though the conference we were attending had a free breakfast. There was a coffee maker in each room, though it was one of those pod things and the free coffee in the lobby was better. The windows are huge and the ceilings are high, so the light is terrific.

Problems: The entrance to the hotel is awkward. It isn't as well marked as it should be for someone who's been flying all day. It's at the top of some steep steps, and then it's just a doorbell and an intercom. It's doesn't make for a very friendly first impression but once you're in, everything gets really nice and the hotel feels like your own private sanctuary. There is some street noise but it wasn't a problem for me. The temperature was in the 90's every day and the air conditioner masked the noise. I live on a busy street so I'm accustomed to street noise at night.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a more "authentic" experience, whether they're a tourist or business traveler.

• Liked — THe atmosphere, location, and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank nhunixguy
Boulder, CO, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2007

I had arranged a number of rooms for an industry conference (our professional group was composed of one woman and nine men), and heard afterwards from each of my fellow travelers that they were most impressed by the Riverwalk Vista. We certainly appreciated the afternoon wine, lemonade and fresh cookies. Breakfast was bountiful, fresh, and tasty, the rooms very attractive (pets are provided in the form of fish), the bed marvelously comfortable, and the (wired) network access worked quickly and easily. The bath was clean, and while I chose to move my very fancy coffeemaker from the counter onto the floor (since I was staying for over a week), it didn't really pose a problem.

Yes, there is street noise, especially on a Saturday night, but if one travels often and is familiar with the variance in ambient noise levels at hotels, one usually brings along some form of earplug. White noise generators are provided in the room, which worked quite well, such that I only needed to use my earplugs a couple of times.

The hotel is located a mere five minutes walking time from the convention center, and is thirty seconds from the Riverwalk. Good food is abundantly available nearby. If one wants to park a car, there are parking lots within a couple of blocks, and there is a 30-minute "offloading parking area" in front of the hotel. I felt quite safe in the neighborhood, and the hotel is additionally secured by a keycode locking system.

Our little group is already planning to return for our next exhibition in San Antonio. Many thanks to Catherine, Anet, and especially Patti, who made us feel so very much at home.

• Liked — attention to detail for comfort
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business